• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Constitutional Carry - Is it in the wings?

neuroblades

I'm sure by now that most informed Kentuckians that OC/CC are aware of the fact that Constitutional Carry is waiting in the wings to be heard and voted on by the Kentucky Legislature. I finally tracked down the act as it was written up to be heard.

BR 165 - Representative Mike Harmon (12/16/10)
AN ACT relating to deadly weapons.
Create a new section of KRS Chapter 527 to permit persons over 21 who are not prohibited from possessing firearms to carry firearms openly or concealed and, specify permitted locations; amend KRS 527.020 relating to carrying concealed deadly weapons to eliminate the crime of carrying a concealed deadly weapon and, specify conditions for a peace officer carrying concealed deadly weapon; amend KRS 527.040 relating to possession of firearm or handgun by a convicted felon to update a federal agency reference and make a technical change; amend KRS 150.172 relating to hunting to permit carrying openly or concealed firearm for self-defense while hunting; amend KRS 237.102 to prohibit banning of possession or carrying of firearms during a disaster; amend KRS 237.106 relating to possession of firearms in vehicles to expand right to sue for violation of rights and, add a reference to elementary and secondary schools in exemptions.

(Prefiled by the sponsor(s).)

Source: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/record/11RS/HB113.htm

autoxr84

I'm confused...

In referance to "amend KRS 150.172 relating to hunting to permit carrying openly or concealed firearm for self-defense while hunting"

I thought you could already carry while hunting in KY. Or is it just bow hunting for now? I know for sure you can carry a firearm while hunting bow for protection. Or am I just reading this wrong. LOL (If so I blame Jessamine Co. school systems!)

boomer92266

i was confused with the wording too, so i called the dept. of fish and wildlife. they said the new law went into effect july 15th, a person can carry a handgun for protection while hunting it does not matter what your hunting just make sure one of your weapons are legal for the game your after then the other can be used as your defense.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
confused

Most of those laws are already in effect and on the books under krs 237, however const. concealed carry is not.

rickc1962

I am glad to hear " Freedom to Carry " has been introduced in Ky. It has been cold here in Az. lately, and this is our first year with " Freedom to Carry " as you all know, and I can tell you all it has been nice to put my coat on, letting it cover my firearm, and knowing I was not breaking the law. I sure hope your elected officials get it passed this year.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Me too

how is your open carry laws in arizona? They as good as ours?
I was noticing they put persons over 21 to carry open or concealed and specify locations not able to carry. We can already open carry at 18 in KY, and we can open carry a lot more places than we can conealed carry. I hope they dont add places where open carry is not allowed, or make the age to OC 21 from 18. Any INFO anyone.?

UnfetteredMight

I hope they dont add places where open carry is not allowed, or make the age to OC 21 from 18. Any INFO anyone.?

By the letter of the constitution, they aren't supposed to regulate open carry at all.

Although they've passed limited restrictions, I think most are reasonable. But, I don't see them being able to justify any other locations imo.

mem1977

I know my state representative very well. I went to school with his son and he is a close personal friend of my family. He is all for our rights to bear arms. He is an avid hunter too. I know he will be pushing hard for our rights.

:banana:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I sent him my peace.

Hello Rep. MIke Harmon, I hope you are finding peace in your current legislative session, and I just wanted to take a moment of your time in lending my support for HB 113. I am one of many proud Kentuckians that already takes advantage of Kentucky's right to open carry a firearm. I do so to protect myself, my family, but most importantly my little girl from the evil doers that are among us. However there are many people that just do not understand the law, or just choose not to open carry for fear of harrasment or embarrassment. It would be nice to have Constitutional Concealed carry as well, it would make it easier for someone on a limited budget such as myself to conceal carry when around large groups of people. It would allow people that are afraid to open carry the right to protect their self as well, and I believe everyone has that right as im sure you do as well. I would like to thank you for all you do. It is because of the men and women such as yourself, that us residents of this great state get to live in much more freedom than most. Thank you for your time.

Lets get to callin and emailing everyone. The time is getting close.....

aadvark

If this Legislation Passes, then, Kentucky will beocme The Forth Constitutional Carry State!

rickc1962

how is your open carry laws in arizona? They as good as ours?
I was noticing they put persons over 21 to carry open or concealed and specify locations not able to carry. We can already open carry at 18 in KY, and we can open carry a lot more places than we can conealed carry. I hope they dont add places where open carry is not allowed, or make the age to OC 21 from 18. Any INFO anyone.?

Here in Az. our gun laws are some of the best I`ve ever seen, but it did not come over night. We have some of the greatest people in the world working hard for the 2nd Amendment here. We have " Freedom to Carry ", restaurant carry, ( must have permission slip and it needs to be CC, but we are working on that ), one of the best stand your ground laws around, and are now working on state wide collage carry.

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Crazy

I always figured your laws would be better than ours, i guess there not though, in KY, we can open or concealed carry in a rest. that makes at least 50% of income from food sales and seats at least 50 ppl, if they serve alcohol, We can open carry almost everywhere, OC is constitutionaly protected in KY, and hopefully with our new bill that has been introduced the laws will realax on CC as well. For stand your ground and castle doctrine, KY has some of the best laws for self defense. Go to KY.gov and go to our state statutes page. KRS chapt. 503. Some of the best laws in the country for self protection and protection of property. I hope they relax your laws a little more, the cc only in a rest. is really crazy.

rickc1962

I always figured your laws would be better than ours, i guess there not though, in KY, we can open or concealed carry in a rest. that makes at least 50% of income from food sales and seats at least 50 ppl, if they serve alcohol, We can open carry almost everywhere, OC is constitutionaly protected in KY, and hopefully with our new bill that has been introduced the laws will realax on CC as well. For stand your ground and castle doctrine, KY has some of the best laws for self defense. Go to KY.gov and go to our state statutes page. KRS chapt. 503. Some of the best laws in the country for self protection and protection of property. I hope they relax your laws a little more, the cc only in a rest. is really crazy.

I wholeheartedly agree with the fact that Ky. is a great state for gun owners. Years ago I lived in Morehead for a while, and I was stationed at Fort Knox while in the Army, your state is very beautiful, and I enjoyed living there. Az. has some work to do, and I hope that this nutcases insane shooting doesn`t slow things up. I love the " Cowboy Way of Life ", and love Az. because of it, but I have to say that if I were to move back east again, it would by Ky. In the city I live in the police don`t care about restaurant carry, I`ve sat at the next table over from LE. while OCing in diners that sold beer and wine, and never a word. I do think the law here will change, maybe this year.

KYKevin

I read an interesting article on this in todays Ownesboro messenger & inquirer. It was not very supportive. Wish I could provide a link from the papers website but it is a pay to view site sadly. But most of the politicians they talked too in the article were not in favor.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Yeah, i think it is terrible what this guy has done. And the politicians are trying to say they need mag. restrictions, and stricter laws to purchase guns, and this and that. I believe this was a single case of a unstable man doing very baad things. Changing laws would not help this. Some people are just bad, and some arent. If he wanted that gun he woulld have got it regardless of where it was purchased. Legally or illegally. My heart goes out to these people, but i wonder if the mall this happend in was weapon sterile? I would say so, does neone know?