• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Running for Office as an Open Carry Advocate

amlevin

I guess for me it is sad to see that Nissan is more American made than Ford or Chevy, I more or less want to see a stronger economy here at home before I start worrying about the global market but I will keep an open mind, and research it further, and will be open to hearing from any of you.

One thing to consider here is that the "Names" are only names. It's the content and the jobs that are important. Politicians have fallen into too many traps when they try to save "American Institutions" especially names like
Ford, General Motors, or Chrysler. Those "Institutions" like GM have taken the taxpayer's money to stave off bankruptcy and then pushed their interests in foreign countries. On the other hand, Americans own stock in companies like Toyota, Honda, and Nissan, which manufacture cars in this country. As you said many of these are more "American" in content than those from the others. The "foreign names didn't need a bailout while the largest of the American names did.

You will encounter similar "tradition" when you start looking at proposed legislation. There are those that view regulation of firearms as somewhat of an institution. We've had regulation in increasing amounts since the NFA of the 30's. Their attitude will be "we've been doing it for a long time so what's wrong with it?" Others will hopefully take the approach of "so if we've been doing it for a long time, and it's not working, is it the right thing to do?"

Again, take the time to educate yourself on the workings of not just government but people. People's behavior can be altered by several methods. Laws prohibiting people from practicing their fundamental rights is not one. Certain and meaningful punishment for committing crimes is one that needs to be emphasized. As it is today, punishment, even for those caught and convicted is far from certain. Even when applied the punishment is not always meaningful. Every day we read of deferred prosecution, diversion programs, and plea bargains. We also read of people who, when convicted, are given ridiculous sentences that are far from "meaningful" when compared to the crime. Those are the laws that need to be strengthened, not those that infringe on Constitutional Rights.

07Altima

Thank you again

Thank you for the info on what kind of gun I should go for. Yes it is the only one I can afford for now, I like the duel ability of the firearm, it is not to hard to shoot as I have shot 454 before, and it being the primary round. I feel that this heavier weapon would only be more accurate. I do like the 410 close quarters self defense, and the ability to use it in a hunting setting, this after all will be my first owned Pistol. I do plan on a smaller firearm for conceal carry, but that will not follow for some time, and may not happen until near the end of the year. I want to practice about every other week with the 454, and at least once a week with the 45, and 410.

The holster I want to get for it will make it look less like "look at my gun".
I have no choice but to buy a custom holster, and the ones they make are very nice.
I am sure that it will subdue a great deal of the natural exposer.

I have had to deal with all the crap about how its compensation blah blah blah, but it is more about the firearm, and the fact that I really like it. I can understand the statements, and the rhetoric. I make fun of people with huge trucks lol so it is only fair payback right. :)

Thank you again for the information it did help, as every bit does. I will consider it more throughly.

07Altima

oh the video

The Video was impromptu, did not have the cash for the tripod, and wish that it had been filmed better. I guess however that it does prove I am no run of mill regular :)

Also I too agree that some laws need strength, while others are downright pointless,
Some laws are even dangerous.

I can only say that when I am in office I will work hard, it is not a job for wealth, or a job for fame, it is a place for servants, and if anything I am looking for redemption. I once had a chance to give more, and chose a cowards position. However just as in the Red badge of courage I know that I will act differently if given that second chance.

My failure in the past has not only haunted me, but has ruled, and destroyed many things in my life. More or less due to my remorse for not standing up for truth, and not having the courage when it was needed.

No matter what happens I will serve the American people with the Constitution as my guide. I will question every day what I am doing. I never want to feel the self shame again that I have felt for so many years.

I made a promise to myself that I am done running away, if they want a fight, I am going to fight, but I refuse to fight like them. I have seen Government overstep its bounds, I have seen things that make me sick. I will fight them on paper until there is nothing left, I will not draw into violence except in self defense. I will hold my composure knowing I represent many people. My actions will reflect those I represent, and this will give me the strength to fight back the right way. I can not afford to make a mistake I do not wish my family or those I represent to be faced with the shame of a mistake I have made.

The main reason I am even pushing so hard forward is that when I look into the eyes of my children. I feel that I can not live with myself if I do not do everything I can to give them a future worth living.

I do not recall the founding father who said this but he said if we do not fight this war now, we will leave the war for our children to fight, because we are cowards.

Freedom First

Howdy!

You sound like a man after my own heart.

13N, not a great soldier, lots of screw ups in life, trying to put things right... Plus new to OC! Oh, and I lived in Gold Bar for a couple of years in the early 2000s.

I'll have more to say later but welcome!

FMCDH

maybe you will not hear a lot about me I guess the gentleman who holds the seat I am running for is not really well known either, but I am sure it will generate some media attn. none the less. I have no problem running for office I have already started my campaign, and so far have the backing from several substantial groups. I am going to be speaking to the Gentleman who currently holds the seat I am looking to win, he was very interested in me running the last time I spoke to him not long ago, and he happens to be the house Minority leader at this current point, he is looking at taking over another seat, so as being the only person with even an idea to run in my district, and he had no one running against him in the last election I think that my chances are better than none.

So again thanks for the Critical input that is also not constructive. I do not need to be bashed or attacked directly or indirectly, and if this is how you are going treat some one running for office I would hope that you have never done anything for this country as I would be ashamed to have been represented by such an angry individual, Furthermore as for my history, I am a Veteran of the United States Army I was a 13 fox forward observer not sure if you know what that is but I did the job, secondly I am already serving as a low level elected representative so I think I have a pretty fair history of serving my country, and until you can say that you have served anything but yourself I would like if you keep your critical comments that are not constructive to a minimum, if you have something to say that can help, or something that can be constructive then by all means speak up, but until then get lost.

Hello I am new to this Forum My First name is Aaron, I am sure you will hear a lot about me

i kind of doubt it....

I believe what 1234A Defender was trying to say...in his own way...was that he is in Mason County, as his location tag states, and indeed, probably wont hear anything about your candidacy.

If I am wrong, he will correct me. :uhoh:

As for me, I am not in your district either, but at least like what I hear and read so far. My brother however IS in your district and I will let him know about you. I would rather see a constitutionalist such as yourself run in my district, as your type is MUCH more needed in King County, but such is life.

Last edited:

Freedom First

The main reason I am even pushing so hard forward is that when I look into the eyes of my children. I feel that I can not live with myself if I do not do everything I can to give them a future worth living.

+1

I have four kids and I want them to grow up in a land with more freedom than I see today. Since I can't find that elsewhere on the globe, I am working here.

1245A Defender

thoughts,,,,,

Aaron LayesAdd as Friend
Aaron only shares some profile information with everyone. If you know Aaron, add him as a friend or send him a message.

i dont use face book, but if you are using it to help spread your campaign,
you should open that up so folks can read about you. and post that link!

i listened to your tea party speech. it is very rhetorical and unspecific.
i suggest rewriting and polishing and practice the delivery, it can sound better.
make a new video of delivering that speech and post that anywhere and
everywhere that you seek support.

i know youre on a budget, but you want to buy a very expensive and obnoxious gun!
you dont have a CPL so could only OC, meaning handling your gun and ammo
every time you use your car. this is the main reason i advise you to go apply
for you CPL on MONDAY!!!
you will have your CPL in you pocket when you buy your gun, no waiting period!
even though you really like the raging bull judge, it is not a practical gun for some one
that doesnt want to draw attention away from the job at hand.
for your first and only gun you should go with something more practical,
concealable, easy to open carry without the hey look at my gun, unavoidable with that.
you want to buy a backup in the future, i would buy that gun now, and a good retention holster.

Freedom First

The biggest gun will not get you elected... Your Passion will.

i know youre on a budget, but you want to buy a very expensive and obnoxious gun!
you dont have a CPL so could only OC, meaning handling your gun and ammo
every time you use your car. this is the main reason i advise you to go apply
for you CPL on MONDAY!!!
you will have your CPL in you pocket when you buy your gun, no waiting period!
even though you really like the raging bull judge, it is not a practical gun for some one
that doesnt want to draw attention away from the job at hand.
for your first and only gun you should go with something more practical,
concealable, easy to open carry without the hey look at my gun, unavoidable with that.
you want to buy a backup in the future, i would buy that gun now, and a good retention holster.

+1 Your "Shall issue" CPL is only $60. Do it.

Aaron, I had totally missed the Judge part of your earlier posts. That's a mean looking piece of firepower and I really want one too BUT, I would question the man carting that monster around daily. Especially while seeking office...

Might I suggest a non-silver (Me=A big hypocrite but then I'm not running for office either, yet...) and non-tacticool firearm? Something along the lines of a nice black .45ACP? Taurus PT-845 or similar (Even a High-Point?) so it wouldn't be the first thing folks would notice about you. And put it on your hip or in your belt. Image counts.

You have passion and a message that needs to be put out there but a huge silver handgun would just blow it for most folks out there. The 39th is full of folks who work in the big city and can afford to live that far out so generally that means college education and ignorance of basic American civics. Just getting them reading the Constitution will be a victory.

Try www.nccs.net and fill your car/truck with Constitutions as you hit the streets. $30 for 100! Good luck. Oh, and read it yourself, Know it inside and out since you swore to defend it and there's no sunset clause on that oath...

FMCDH

<SNIP>

Try www.nccs.net and fill your car/truck with Constitutions as you hit the streets. $30 for 100! Good luck. Oh, and read it yourself, Know it inside and out since you swore to defend it and there's no sunset clause on that oath...

Big +1

I have often wondered why we don't see these copies of the Constitution & Bill of Rights in every hotel and motel room across the country like we see the Gideon Bible. Is there really no millionaire or politician in the country that has the funding to push something like this?

Its sad enough when you ask a high school student these days what the first 10 amendments of The Constitution "generally" say, and they come back with a serious answer of, "whats the constitution?". (sigh) :(

Its even sadder when most of the adult citizen population of the US has never even read it cover to cover. :mad:

The CATO Institute also sells a pocket Constitution that can be had for as little as $1 a copy.
http://www.cato.org/store/books/dec...united-states-pocket-constitution-paperback-0

Last edited:

New Daddy

I watched the video. You've got the hard part down - you're not afraid to get up there. However, you should consider joining Toastmasters. You make a lot of mistakes that beginning speakers make and TM will help you with that.

I wouldn't recommend running on Open Carry. A couple here have already warned about unintended consequences. You need to have a well thought out platform that covers many aspects. While I support firearms rights, I'm not going to vote for a candidate based solely on that. Once that becomes an issue, your campaign will be about nothing but that and everything you do or say will reflect on us. Remember the lesson of Christine O'Donnell and decide now whether you're willing to put up with that type of criticism and ridicule. If you're not...

For example, your comments on tax breaks. It sounds good on the surface, but does it comply with the treaties already signed? WTO, NAFTA, et al? This stuff is constantly litigated, and it's wise to know the ins and outs because you'll get roasted when you're asked about it and you don't know the answer - and saying "we need to dismantle them" isn't enough, you need to understand the hows and whys and what the impacts are going to be. About 20 years ago, I watched a candidate in Illinois get dismantled because he didn't understand farm price supports and debated someone who did. It wasn't pretty and in a State where farm price supports are important, he really missed his audience and suffered the consequences at the polls.

07Altima

This is all great information

Thank you all this is the whole reason I wrote on here to get great feedback as I have. Thank you so much for the feedback as this has been great. A better link to go to is my political page on facebook www.politician.to/aaronlayes . I think I may get the judge but not OC that one I should be able to get the 845 in July-ish but will make the final choice at the time I can get it looking at filing my permit early Feb, have the paperwork already filled out, so ready as soon as I have the cash. This month is tight but will be fine afterwards :) I will look into more information on the treaties, and find out what I can do legally, what we can do in the global market to effect change in our favor.

I will look into TM to see about speaking more effectively, I want to be on a platform that is focused on things ranging from Gun rights to getting people back to work. I really want my focus to be on what is important not only to the American people but what is important in terms of urgent need.

nonameisgood

Since you mention Buy America, consider that when choosing your firearm, too. Lots of imports among inexpensive handguns.

5jeffro7

hypocritical?

I'm sure you're aware of how hypocritical politicians as a whole have become..they'll change their stance on a subject based on who they're talking to...it appears as if you have a bit of that going as well.

if you're going to be OC when out & about, then might I suggest doing so at all times and not stopping such activity when you're doing the door-to-door thing?

people are not blind & they'll undoubtedly notice either the presence of or lack of the gun...eventually put 2 & 2 togeter (and get 7) and think that you're using or losing the gun to change your stance on the issue based on the demographics of whre you are at any given time

Just a thought

07Altima

The only reason I was thinking of losing it for D2D

the only reason I wanted to not take it door to door is that when on the front lawn, walkway, or past a gate, it could be seen as trespass sign or not. Some one in a door to door situation could see me as a threat, and I would be more worried of the unintended risk. I have my 2 small kids with me, and more or less worried about that being an issue. I would love to have it door to door, however it will be more dependent on what I get. I am not changing my stance to make others more accepting but more a safety issue, certainly if I was always alone it would affect my choice even further as that would not be an issue. However if I can find a nice Holster like some of the Custom holsters that cover the handle 3/4 of the way, or subdue the firearm enough to where it will be less threatening to those who do not know about OC then I may carry door to door, but certainly this is not a choice to be made lightly, as there would inherent risks involved.

Some one could shoot me if I am to imposing certainly it would not be legal for them to do so, nor would it be right, but the risk of door to door is something that has made me unsure where the law stands, due to the fact that each time I stand on a porch it is technically putting myself on private property, and the laws may be different in terms of state codes regarding my personal protection.

I do not look like the slick willied clean cut average politician. I have a beard, and Mustache which I would like to keep. I have been told I have an imposing stance, and tend to look aggressive even though I am mostly nice. I clean up good, but I think for me it is more a measure of taking safety into account. I may be more tempted to OC around those I have already met in the voter base, or try to get feedback from them, and try to quell their concerns about it.

I will take your information into account, but I will make my final choice on how safe I feel that it will be overall, what kind of holster I can find, what it will look like, how subdued it is, how imposing it is the risk to my children, and weather they will be with me on that day or if I will be alone. I think that it will be okay, and safe if I have say campaign stuff on, carrying business cards, or flyers, with my kids near by, in a decent semi subdued holster.

When I do door to door if there is a time I feel unsafe I will carry concealed to avoid the safety risk but will not be afraid if the issue is only for my personal safety.

Thank you for your comment, and wanting to know where I was standing on it. I do not have any intention of shying away from it, I will talk about being an OC advocate door to door, I will talk about those things I find to be the most important.

#1 is Jobs, #2 is Education #3 is Gun rights, and OC, #4 is freedom of Speech #5 is addressing the state economy. (this will also be tied into Jobs-and Education)

My stance on things is this, I do not believe I should be able to force some one to do something against their will, any more than they should have that right with me.

Given I do not like the idea of Taxes either, but being only on the state level at this point I feel that I have a limited control in the taxes, for now the best I can do is fight to lower them over all.

I do believe that we should Audit the Fed there is nothing wrong with an Audit, and any one who is against that should be ashamed. I believe that it is important at this time when the nation is suffering from such a strong hit that we need to be aware of every back room deal, we need to be on the books about what is going on in the Fed. Fed=(Federal Reserve)

I know I made spelling and other errors on here but I wanted to post quickly to get a good reply I am not trying to cater to every person but trying to accept everyones input. I do agree I need to get better at spelling, and I also wanted to list that I am not shying away from OC. I would like to be as open as I can, and I will be putting the word out even without the firearm present. :)

I hope that every one is okay with why I made these choices, but even still I dont feel personally comfortable with certain situations, and I would hope you can respect that, but I will do my best to try and make door to door as safe as possible so that I can feel okay doing that.

.45ACPaddy

Choosing CC or no carry due to the possibility of an armed homeowner perceiving you as a threat is understandable. After all, going to Starbucks is one thing. Going on someone else's personal property is another.

FMCDH

Choosing CC or no carry due to the possibility of an armed homeowner perceiving you as a threat is understandable. After all, going to Starbucks is one thing. Going on someone else's personal property is another.

I think an "armed homeowner" would be the least of his worries were he to approach such a persons house to talk about pro-2a type politics and other libertarian ideas. I personally wouldn't bat an eye as long as he immediately introduced himself with a handshake.

That said, an "armed homeowner" such as you or me should not be confused with your standard "gun owner" who has a rifle, shotgun or handgun unloaded, disassembled and lost in the back of a closet except for once a year for a hunting or range trip.

I think his biggest worry would be the amount of sheeple he would put off his message
because they wouldn't be able to concentrate on anything else except the pistol on his side, regardless the type. If your going to campaign armed, best to do so CC, as your not going to win an election on the sheepdog vote alone, even in Snowhomish County.

.45ACPaddy

I only say that because a lot of people who carry, or have a gun ready for home protection, still aren't aware of OC. I, as an OCer, wouldn't perceive it as a threat at all. In fact, I encourage that sort of behavior where I live. If he, or anyone for that matter, were walking down my driveway with a gun on their hip (or thigh :p) in plain view, I'd greet them with open arms!

Pun intended :lol:

amlevin

I personally wouldn't bat an eye as long as he immediately introduced himself with a handshake.

That is supposedly the origin of the "handshake". When armed individuals approached each other, the extended hand indicated they were coming in peace.

Of course every once in a while they encountered someone who was "Left Handed".