• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Makes you wonder...

hgreen

If brains are used in the planning of these events....

http://myemail.constantcontact.com/...tml?soid=1102968080770&aid=EuQnEmEZdwY#fblike

Press to organizers: "So you are all pro-gun, pro-2A people?"
Organizers (CRPA, Calguns): "Why yes, we are."
Press: "I see no one here is exercising their 2nd amendment right to bear arms even though its not in a prohibited area. You must all feel perfectly safe being disarmed in down town LA. So you must not have a problem with LA banning open carry?"
Organizers: "Uhh well, image bs bs, prefer conceal carry bs bs"
Press: "But you are willing to come into down town LA, unarmed when you legally could be armed in this area, yet you are demanding more gun rights when you are not even exercising the ones not currently denied to you?"

This is all assuming the press even bothers to show up...

Last edited:

HandyHamlet

cold.jpg

The guys in Wisco are concerned about their rights. Not how well they dress.

:D

p.s. Best of luck with the rally!

Last edited:

jdberger

Event is within more than one GFSZ

The event is within more than one Gun Free School Zone. It is a prohibited area. And if the press asks why we're not armed, that's what we'll tell them.

I don't think that we've reached the need for the level of civil disobedience where we'd all go to jail for violating GFSZs. No?

Last edited:

Devilinbp

The event is within more than one Gun Free School Zone. It is a prohibited area. And if the press asks why we're not armed, that's what we'll tell them.

I don't think that we've reached the need for the level of civil disobedience where we'd all go to jail for violating GFSZs. No?

What he said....from the Calguns thread on the event: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=407852&page=4
2) Arms: The event is well within 1000 feet of several schools downtown including an Elementary School and High School, thus UOC is prohibited. In the unlikely event someone does UOC to the event, there will be a large lockable case on site for people to stash their firearms. *We need a volunteer to acquire and maintain the lockable case.*

Devilinbp

I really don't understand your bias against Calguns. The location was picked because it is in front of the LA Times building. Perhaps you should be more focused on doing something to combat the VDZ's alongside CGF than finding ways to snipe at Calguns.

jdberger

City Hall
LA Times Building

Bad place for a rally?

GunsSaveLives1.jpg

Perhaps you'd prefer somewhere completely uninhabited? Maybe somewhere that press needs to made extraordinary effort to get to? Middle of the Mojave, perhaps?

Last edited:

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
What bothers me (and probably hgreen) is that visible arms are explicitly discouraged by these pro-gun organizations. CGF and SAF are not in "pro-OC" mode, and they have basically said they won't be until California has gone shall-issue.

If you look at Gene's favorite Pink Pistol cheer from last year's SF Pride Parade, it was, "Marriage license, carry license!" Personally I would have come up with, "Freedom to marry, freedom to carry" since I don't think the government should be limiting people's right to marry or to carry arms. But then, I'm probably more of a filthy libertarian than the average CGFer.

Last edited:

jdberger

Sometimes we need to take baby-steps. There's a method to the madness.

You might recall Bradys declaration that the 1994 AW ban was the "camel's nose under the tent" in describing their policy of incrementalism. It works the other way, too.

We're walking in the footsteps of (civil rights) giants, here. They've shown us the way. They've demonstrated what's effective and what isn't.

We're simply trying to be effective (and we are - see Sacto County CCW).

hgreen

You don't have to be in front of the LA Times to get them to come to pro-2A events.

We've held many open carry events in the South Bay of LA by the beach and had plenty of news crews come cover our events, INCLUDING the LA Times. You can see the EXTENSIVE list of news articles mentioning SBOC here:
http://southbayopencarry.org/press/

Here's one of the articles the LA Times has run on SBOC: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-open-carry-20100711,0,684001.story

None of our events are held in VDZs yet we still get plenty of press coverage...

How much press has Calguns or CRPA received in the same time since SBOC was started??

The point is, you DO NOT have to have events in VDZs to get the press to show up if you have a worthy cause.

I also want to point out that I am not "against calguns". I just think their tactics of alienating people who open carry is distasteful and they really shoot themselves in the foot by putting on events like this without the support of open carry advocates. Our regular dinners have attendances and press coverage that put this event to shame (based on photos I've seen so far). We would have loved to come out and supported the event had they not been against OC at the event and picked a non VDZ location (although the VDZ is questionable).

Last edited:

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
Press to organizers: "So you are all pro-gun, pro-2A people?"
Organizers (CRPA, Calguns): "Why yes, we are."
Press: "I see no one here is exercising their 2nd amendment right to bear arms even though its not in a prohibited area. You must all feel perfectly safe being disarmed in down town LA. So you must not have a problem with LA banning open carry?"
Organizers: "Uhh well, would you like to see my loaded lawfully concealed firearm?"
Press: Eeep!

FIFY

Look, I am as pro-open carry as anyone here, but I think that those who are reluctant to recognize the battlefield topography for what it is are being just as closed minded as the 'CCW only' crowd. I dont think it would benefit anyone to challenge GFSZ just so people could be seen in the media. Our efforts should be to gain numbers and challenge those authorities that go too far investigating non-crimes or create crimes where there were none.

You may not like how the CCRKBA, the CRPA, and the CGF do business, but they dont have to like how SBUOC conducts their agenda either. This percieved division/animosity between open carry advocates and CGN must end because we cannot hope to advance if we are rowing the same boat in different directions. What I would like to see is for all of us to work together towards an achievable goal, not aire criticism about what the other is doing wrong... Is it impossible to encourage one another or work together? The real enemy is the Brady Campaign, the Joyce Foundation, and other anti-gun groups, are they not?

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
You don't have to be in front of the LA Times to get them to come to pro-2A events.

We've held many open carry events in the South Bay of LA by the beach and had plenty of news crews come cover our events, INCLUDING the LA Times. You can see the EXTENSIVE list of news articles mentioning SBOC here:
http://southbayopencarry.org/press/

Here's one of the articles the LA Times has run on SBOC: http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-open-carry-20100711,0,684001.story

None of our events are held in VDZs yet we still get plenty of press coverage...

How much press has Calguns or CRPA received in the same time since SBOC was started??

The point is, you DO NOT have to have events in VDZs to get the press to show up if you have a worthy cause.

I also want to point out that I am not "against calguns". I just think their tactics of alienating people who open carry is distasteful and they really shoot themselves in the foot by putting on events like this without the support of open carry advocates. Our regular dinners have attendances and press coverage that put this event to shame (based on photos I've seen so far). We would have loved to come out and supported the event had they not been against OC at the event and picked a non VDZ location (although the VDZ is questionable).

Wow, did you get the reason WHY the location was chosen?

You have difficulties with reading comprehension, don't you.....

Mike Hawk

Wow, did you get the reason WHY the location was chosen?

^^^ This exactly. Location, location, location!
1. The block this was on was LA Times HQ.
2. Across the street was LAPD HQ.
3. Catty-corner (diagonally) is City Hall.
It was like dropping a truth bomb right in the heart of FUDville. And although OC wasn't possible at this venue, OCers were welcome. Nobody kicked me out...

hgreen

You have difficulties with reading comprehension, don't you.....

I must be sensory impaired at all levels because I have not seen one shred of press coverage of this event. So I'm still waiting to see the benefits of this killer location, compared to one NOT in a VDZ.

Perhaps your reading comprehension is impaired since you must have not seen the plethora of media coverage SBOC has had at venues not across from city hall, not next to major media outlets, and NOT IN VDZs.

cato

I must be sensory impaired at all levels because I have not seen one shred of press coverage of this event. So I'm still waiting to see the benefits of this killer location, compared to one NOT in a VDZ.

Perhaps your reading comprehension is impaired since you must have not seen the plethora of media coverage SBOC has had at venues not across from city hall, not next to major media outlets, and NOT IN VDZs.

This was for the benefit of the above listed locations mostly the general public second. CGF plays three dimensional chess. I trust them because of their past success and legitimate current public offorts. There is also plenty behind the scenes too.