• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Store clerk shoots and kills robber who grabbed 1 year old daughter

BillHoo

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...-daughter-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

NAPLES, Fla. — Sheriff's officials in southwest Florida say a clerk at a 24-hour food store shot and killed a man who tried to rob her and take her 1-year-old daughter.

Store owner Del Ackerman told the Naples Daily News (http://bit.ly/rnKaJe ) his granddaughter shot the man after he stormed into the store Tuesday afternoon and demanded money and grabbed the stroller that held her baby.

Authorities say 22-year-old Elizabeth Easterly was alone in the store with her 1- and 2-year-old daughters. Collier County Sheriff's spokesman Jamie Mosbach says the man was acting erratically before the incident.

Mosbach says the clerk shot the man as he headed toward the door with the child. He was taken to a hospital where he died of his injuries.

The sheriff's department is investigating.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That second link says the clerk "...did just as she had been taught — she drew a gun and aimed for the would-be robber’s knee..."

Note that neither link indicates where on the BG's torso he was hit. Might have been a pinwheel shot or maybe she was so good (lucky?) to hit a running man's knee and he suffered terminal hydraulic failure.

Cmdr_Haggis

Note that neither link indicates where on the BG's torso he was hit. Might have been a pinwheel shot or maybe she was so good (lucky?) to hit a running man's knee and he suffered terminal hydraulic failure.

If some thug makes off with my babies in their stroller, I'd aim a bit higher than knee level. The kids are just about that level in the buggy.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
His granddaughter had taken a training course in which she was taught to shoot a person in the legs to disable them, he said.

We need to find this training course and get the instructor educated.

On another note, it seems that the only thing keeping her from being fired is that it is a family-owned business.

Finally - reopened for business at 2 AM when the cops finished doing all their cop-stuff. No, he is certainly not going to let anybody close him down.

stay safe.

carry for myself

On another note, it seems that the only thing keeping her from being fired is that it is a family-owned business.

Finally - reopened for business at 2 AM when the cops finished doing all their cop-stuff. No, he is certainly not going to let anybody close him down.

stay safe.

+1

sounds like very bad training to me. legs are very thin, and usually moving fast which makes for a very difficult target to hit. i do however applaud her accuracy and marksmanship :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Years ago a certain Virgina Department had a "shoot to wound" mandate. I maintained and instructed that the best way to aim such a desired shot was center of mass. We didn't teach double or triple tapping, but the course of fire contained multiple 2, 3 and 6 round strings - can you say memory reinforcement?

I would point my finger tip at my forehead and ask the students, "What would the result of a hit here be?" Someone would invarably answer, "They'd be dead!"

My response: That might well be a consequence, but first and foremost, they would be wounded.

That teaching moment was retained when the dept. changed their mandate to "shoot to stop."
What we used to call "the same difference" between the two - wound or stop, aim at what increases your odds of success.

tombrewster421

stay safe.

In Washington that would be called "shoot for a lawsuit".

carry for myself

Years ago a certain Virgina Department had a "shoot to wound" mandate. I maintained and instructed that the best way to aim such a desired shot was center of mass. We didn't teach double or triple tapping, but the course of fire contained multiple 2, 3 and 6 round strings - can you say memory reinforcement?

I would point my finger tip at my forehead and ask the students, "What would the result of a hit here be?" Someone would invarably answer, "They'd be dead!"

My response: That might well be a consequence, but first and foremost, they would be wounded.

That teaching moment was retained when the dept. changed their mandate to "shoot to stop."
What we used to call "the same difference" between the two - wound or stop, aim at what increases your odds of success.

exactly. and the first step of that last point is hitting the target in the first place.. hence why practice and target acquisition are key to any SD situation. spray and prey only has a small chance of success and endangers those around the BG. this woman either practiced a lot, or got very lucky.

since9

Campaign Veteran

"Pinwheel?"

If some thug makes off with my babies in their stroller, I'd aim a bit higher than knee level. The kids are just about that level in the buggy.

Well, I'm a man, don't really put things that way, but if that happened, I'd be 60 seconds of the worst hell on all 12 cylinders (as an aviator, I'm partial to Merlin engines) until my oxygen ran out. I've only been in that situation once.

I walked away. He did not.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Years ago a certain Virgina Department had a "shoot to wound" mandate.

Digging back 22 years, to 1989, I'll conjure up what I would have thought then, had I heard this then. To this, I'd say, "Oh, no! Center body mass. Only way to ensure maximum stopping power."

I maintained and instructed that the best way to aim such a desired shot was center of mass. We didn't teach double or triple tapping, but the course of fire contained multiple 2, 3 and 6 round strings - can you say memory reinforcement?

When it comes to shooting, not to mention reacting to a threat, "practice what you preach" is vital. What's more vital is practicing something that works. Most of the major law enforcement academy routines are available to the public. Practice makes perfect! As law enforcement officers, their primary order of business is protecting the officer involved, so emulating their techniques will go a long way towards keeping you safe.

HOWEVER: The one thing that's sadly lacking on this website is how to avoid confrontation in the first place. Volumes have been written on how to keep such a low profile that one could exist for years without a second glance from anyone.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"Pinwheel?"

That alludes to the perfect target shot dead center in the 10X ring of a B9 target or similar.
http://www.bushnelloptics.com/hoppe-s-9-targets-b9.html

It loses something in the translation, but have heard the expression many times over the years referring to dead-on shots i.e. "you pinwheeled that one" as in hit it in the center.

A real pinwheel is just a piece of paper/cellulose until a pin is inserted in the center of of it - think center of its mass. Everything rotates on that one point.

Last edited: