• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

House Bill 1371

jgross85

Read this house bill if you like it or agree start writing you rep to get this through the state. we can stop the overbaring government from hu=indering our rights before it is to late!!!!

(apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdocs/2013-14/Pdf/Bills/House%20Bills/1371.pdf)

Freedom1Man

21 such as unmachined [strike]steel[/strike] material and unshaped wood, are not firearms, firearms

First change.

[strike]
33 (2) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:
34 (a) A firearm that cannot be carried and used by one person;
35 (b) A firearm that has a bore diameter greater than one and one-
36 half inches and that uses smokeless powder, not black powder, as a
37 propellant;
p. 3 HB 1371
1 (c) Ammunition with a projectile that explodes using an explosion
2 of chemical energy after the projectile leaves the firearm; or
3 (d) A firearm, other than a shotgun, that discharges two or more
4 projectiles with one activation of the trigger or other firing device.[/strike]

Second change.

-----

Those are the two points of contention that I have with it right off the bat.

Batousaii

!~ Good Bill ~!

I think that the bill is a great step forward. I agree that it would be nice if they removed the items that freedom1man noted, but as it stands I can indeed support this bill and believe that it would help us safeguard our liberties here in WA.

DamonK

Yup, it's deffinately a step in the right direction. The problem that we have set ourselves with is that unlike our liberal counterparts, we haven't been willing to be flexible in our political dealings. While they have made thousands of half steps in their direction, our inability to be flexible or compromise means that we take an all or nothing stance. Think about it, this bill is a huge step in the right direction, lets not trash it because of one or two minor issues that can eventually be fixed. Remember, one thousand half step in the right direction is still five hundred steps in the right direction.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Freedom1Man

Yup, it's deffinately a step in the right direction. The problem that we have set ourselves with is that unlike our liberal counterparts, we haven't been willing to be flexible in our political dealings. While they have made thousands of half steps in their direction, our inability to be flexible or compromise means that we take an all or nothing stance. Think about it, this bill is a huge step in the right direction, lets not trash it because of one or two minor issues that can eventually be fixed. Remember, one thousand half step in the right direction is still five hundred steps in the right direction.

I am not saying we should dismiss it or reject it. The first change will affect any firearms made out any anything but steel though.

Some reproductions are made of Brass, you AR is made from Aluminum, and then there are other materials too such as polymers.

skeith5

Is it too late for them to update the bill? The two projectile rule could be tricky since they make shotshells for pretty much any caliber...

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Freedom1Man

I've got a Taurus Judge that I got for xmas, I use 4-10 birdshot and buckshot with it. Would it be exempted? Doesn't sound like it.

After a second pass I see what the problem is. It seems to me that it would count for restriction under federal law.

I hope that RapGood will weigh in on this.

I agree that it's poorly written.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
I have .22 shot shells, .38 shotshells, .44 shotshells

I've seen lowers made from Aluminum and carbon fiber

I've shot firearms made of carbon fiber and brass

Flopsweat

25 and communities; (d) law-abiding citizens who are attacked in a place
26 where they have a right to be have no duty to retreat and have the
27 right to stand their ground and meet force with defensive force,
28 including deadly force in certain circumstances;

I'm concerned that "in certain circumstances" may be too vague.

Batousaii

rapgood

After a second pass I see what the problem is. It seems to me that it would count for restriction under federal law.

I hope that RapGood will weigh in on this.

I agree that it's poorly written.
Actually, I don't think that it is poorly written. I think it was very carefully written. I like ambiguity in the law. It provides me with a host of options and interpretations that are not available in tightly-worded language.

DamonK

I've got a Taurus Judge that I got for xmas, I use 4-10 birdshot and buckshot with it. Would it be exempted? Doesn't sound like it.

This bill is to counter any gun control measures aimed at or semiauto weapons. Revolvers are in no danger at this point.