• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Students protest suppression of civil disobedience education with civil disobedience

stealthyeliminator

Hopefully this hasn't already been posted, I did a quick search which came up with nothing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/24/u...terprotest-to-an-anti-protest-curriculum.html

Students protest proposed curriculum changes that would restrict education about civil disobedience and it's role in shaping our country by performing an exercise of civil disobedience.

This is fitting for the discussion recently about whether or not the government promotes patriotism for it's own ends. Apparently some of the students at this high school believe so, but more than that they won't sit quietly and watch it happen. Brings me a bit of hope for our future.

"“As we grow up, you always hear that America’s the greatest, the land of the free and the home of the brave,” she said. “For all the good things we’ve done, we’ve done some terrible things. It’s important to learn about those things, or we’re doomed to repeat the past.” Leighanne Grey

Wow, this girl gives me hope for our future.

“It’s gotten bad,” said Griffin Guttormsson, a junior at Arvada High School who wants to become a teacher and spent the school day soliciting honks from passing cars. “The school board is insane. You can’t erase our history. It’s not patriotic. It’s stupid.”

I like how this kid thinks.

beebobby

On the Faux News website yesterday, their headline made it sound like the students were protesting being taught patriotism. Classic "breitbart".

jackrockblc

On the Faux News website yesterday, their headline made it sound like the students were protesting being taught patriotism. Classic "breitbart".

Which, of course, is utter crap. One of my friend's daughter is going to that school, and she was with them, walking out. The curriculum change they propose is stupid, misleading, wrong, and utterly hurtful to anybody who understand "those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it".

Basically, they want to portray history as "America can do no wrong", which we KNOW is factually incorrect. If we fail to impress upon our own nation that we can admit to mistakes, then the "zero tolerance" ideas take too much root. Or the idea that 'If I act in America's interest, it doesn't matter how illegal it is'.

The plans are tabled for now, but only until October.