• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Don't forget to duck

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ble-future.html?ito=social-twitter_mailonline

Monday evening is set to see Earth's closet call with an asteroid until 2027.

The asteroid, designated 2004 BL86, will safely pass about three times the distance of Earth to the moon on January 26 - so close.

It will be the closest by any known space rock this large until asteroid 1999 AN10 flies past Earth in 2027.

Observers in the Americas, Europe, and Africa have the best seats for seeing this interloper during its brightest time: from 8 p.m. Eastern Standard Time on Monday evening, January 26th, until about 1 a.m. EST on the 27th.

During this time 2004 BL86 will be heading northward through the dim constellation Cancer.

It skims the eastern edge of a star cluster called the Beehive (or Messier 44) from about midnight to 12:30 a.m. EST.

Astronomers say there is nothing to be concerned about. I'm going to wear a bicycle helmet Monday night, just in case.

stay safe.

stealthyeliminator

Someone named a star cluster Beehive? lol. I'm not sure if that's lazy or clever.

I kind of like when stuff like this happens. I feel like it helps put things in perspective, shake off the daily bliss and oblivion.