• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

UOCing on community college campus

Protoman2050

Hi!

I'm 19, and I'm somewhat confused about the UOC law with respect to universities. I was recently assaulted in broad daylight at Cerritos College, and I'm seriously considering UOCing. I know the law requires I secure the written permission of an official authorized to authorize me to UOC. Who would that be? The president, the campus PD?

Obviously, I'd rather UOC a .357 magnum Ruger New Model Blackhawk revolver, but I'm not sure if you need to be 21 to possess it, or just 21 to buy it.

Thanks!

dirtykoala

No offense here, but if you have these questions it means you haven't read much about UOC. These are common questions that are addressed in several different info resources. Read and learn more, then do it again.

Welcome to the forums.

I honestly meant no offense. I'm not trying to be rude at all, there is a lot to learn and your bound to screw yourself and the UOC community if you mess it up.

Protoman2050

No offense here, but if you have these questions it means you haven't read much about UOC. These are common questions that are addressed in several different info resources. Read and learn more, then do it again.

Welcome to the forums.

I honestly meant no offense. I'm not trying to be rude at all, there is a lot to learn and your bound to screw yourself and the UOC community if you mess it up.

Thanks.

Protoman2050

626.9 Cannot carry “in a place that the person knows, or reasonably should know” is within 1000 feet of a K-12 school. Must be transported
unloaded in a locked case or vehicle trunk. Cannot carry on the grounds of a university without written permission.

So, it seems to me that I'd be alright if I secure the written permission of some college official.

Who would I ask to grant me such permission?

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
626.9 Cannot carry “in a place that the person knows, or reasonably should know” is within 1000 feet of a K-12 school. Must be transported
unloaded in a locked case or vehicle trunk. Cannot carry on the grounds of a university without written permission.

So, it seems to me that I'd be alright if I secure the written permission of some college official.

Who would I ask to grant me such permission?

PC 626.9

(h) Notwithstanding Section 12026, any person who brings or
possesses a loaded firearm upon the grounds of a campus of, or
buildings owned or operated for student housing, teaching, research,
or administration by, a public or private university or college, that
are contiguous or are clearly marked university property, unless it
is with the written permission of the university or college
president, his or her designee, or equivalent university or college
authority, shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for
two, three, or four years. Notwithstanding subdivision (k), a
university or college shall post a prominent notice at primary
entrances on noncontiguous property stating that firearms are
prohibited on that property pursuant to this subdivision.

(i) Notwithstanding Section 12026, any person who brings or
possesses a firearm upon the grounds of a campus of, or buildings
owned or operated for student housing, teaching, research, or
administration by, a public or private university or college, that
one, two, or three years. Notwithstanding subdivision (k), a

Protoman2050

PC 626.9

(h) Notwithstanding Section 12026, any person who brings or
possesses a loaded firearm upon the grounds of a campus of, or
buildings owned or operated for student housing, teaching, research,
or administration by, a public or private university or college, that
two, three, or four years. Notwithstanding subdivision (k), a

(i) Notwithstanding Section 12026, any person who brings or
possesses a firearm upon the grounds of a campus of, or buildings
owned or operated for student housing, teaching, research, or
administration by, a public or private university or college, that
one, two, or three years. Notwithstanding subdivision (k), a

So I ask the college's president. I see her every day, and I could easily make an appointment to discuss my concerns.

After that, "all" I need to do is get my CA ID (currently my only official ID is a US Passport), HSC, convince my Mom to buy me a used .357 magnum revolver, holster, speedloader, etc., and have her write out a short letter explaining she's loaning it to me for personal protection purposes.

So I'd need to carry in my wallet the written permission statement plus the letter saying Mom is loaning me the handgun.

Correct?

dirtykoala

I'll try to find the laws later, but iirc, your mom can't "buy a gun for you" as that would be a straw hat purchase, she could own a gun and decide she doesn't want it and give it to you. You can own a handgun at 18, just not purchase one. I also think you can't borrow a gun for more than 30 days. The biggest obstacle is probably going to be convincing the school sup. That you should be allowed to have rights on campus, bigtoe is having enough problems having the sup. permit him access to his constitutional rights in the city.

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
So I ask the college's president. I see her every day, and I could easily make an appointment to discuss my concerns.

After that, "all" I need to do is get my CA ID (currently my only official ID is a US Passport), HSC, convince my Mom to buy me a used .357 magnum revolver, holster, speedloader, etc., and have her write out a short letter explaining she's loaning it to me for personal protection purposes.

So I'd need to carry in my wallet the written permission statement plus the letter saying Mom is loaning me the handgun.

Correct?

You might want to first make the request to the college president to see if she will give you written permission. It will save you time and money from having to look into the other things.

I'm guessing that she will politely decline your request.

If you even get an appointment with her, I would venture to guess that she might invite the head of campus police or have local police with her...especially if you were assaulted. My guess is that they will dissuade her from considering such a notion. They will take down your name, get a description of the assualt, and assure you that they will keep a close eye on you so that nothing like that happens in the future.

Protoman2050

I'll try to find the laws later, but iirc, your mom can't "buy a gun for you" as that would be a straw hat purchase, she could own a gun and decide she doesn't want it and give it to you. You can own a handgun at 18, just not purchase one. I also think you can't borrow a gun for more than 30 days. The biggest obstacle is probably going to be convincing the school sup. That you should be allowed to have rights on campus, bigtoe is having enough problems having the sup. permit him access to his constitutional rights in the city.

Ah, so she could purchase it, then file an intra-familial transfer form. The president seems like an understanding person, and if it turns out she says no, I'll just keep in crowded areas.

What would you suggest as a good, well-reasoned argument to convince her? Other than the known fact that I was violently attacked on campus, with no means to defend myself, in a crowded area, and no-one bothered to help me? And the fact I have to go to class early in the morning, when there aren't many people around, and I'm leaving myself open to being attacked/kidnapped.

Last edited:

AyatollahGondola

Ah, so she could purchase it, then file an intra-familial transfer form. The president seems like an understanding person, and if it turns out she says no, I'll just keep in crowded areas.

What would you suggest as a good, well-reasoned argument to convince her? Other than the known fact that I was violently attacked on campus, with no means to defend myself, in a crowded area, and no-one bothered to help me? And the fact I have to go to class early in the morning, when there aren't many people around, and I'm leaving myself open to being attacked/kidnapped.

I think this is one of those situations in which the gun may not be the right tool for the job. Schools are often crowded communities, and a shot fired by a less than disciplined fireman might just end up taking out one of your classmates who is just minding their own business. From what I can gather, it doesn't sound like you are a marksman or even a novice with a handgun, so before I went to the dean with a carelessly crafted resume, I'd hold back and get some training and some practical experience first. In the interim, get the over-the-counter remedies such as pepper spray, stun gun, and noisemakers. Just my personal opinion, but I don't think a college authority will grant such a request without a stellar history of firearm possession and regular use.

Protoman2050

I think this is one of those situations in which the gun may not be the right tool for the job. Schools are often crowded communities, and a shot fired by a less than disciplined fireman might just end up taking out one of your classmates who is just minding their own business. From what I can gather, it doesn't sound like you are a marksman or even a novice with a handgun, so before I went to the dean with a carelessly crafted resume, I'd hold back and get some training and some practical experience first. In the interim, get the over-the-counter remedies such as pepper spray, stun gun, and noisemakers. Just my personal opinion, but I don't think a college authority will grant such a request without a stellar history of firearm possession and regular use.

I intend on getting my handgun after completing marksmanship training at my local shooting range (as Mom practices her shotgun regularly, and the range offers training for $40/hr), and I'd keep Glaser Safety Slugs as my ammo to minimize ricocheting.

Until then, I'm going to keep a good distance between me and people in "gangsta" clothing

Last edited:

Born2Lose

I'll try to find the laws later, but iirc, your mom can't "buy a gun for you" as that would be a straw [strike] hat MAN [/strike] purchase, she could own a gun and decide she doesn't want it and give it to you.

Fixed it for you.

I fixed it for you ConditionThree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_purchase
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

From DOJ don't lie website.
What is a straw purchase?

A straw purchase is an illegal firearm purchase where the actual buyer of the gun, being unable to pass the required federal background check or desiring to not have his or her name associated with the transaction, uses a proxy buyer who can pass the required background check to purchase the firearm for him/her. It is highly illegal and punishable by a $250,000 fine and 10 years in prison.

dirtykoala

Hmmmm.... Soberly reviewing this, I don't know why I said straw hat, haha. I was eating pizza though. And jack Daniels. Maybe he wore a straw hat?

wewd

Your parent or grandparent can buy a firearm and immediately gift it to you. If it's a handgun, they must file the intrafamily transfer form. It's perfectly legal to gift a firearm to a family member. Straw purchases are only committed when the person buying the firearm is doing it on behalf of someone who is legally prohibited from possessing firearms (convicted felons, etc). An 18 year old with a clean criminal record is not prohibited from possessing any firearms. Federal law currently restricts firearm purchases from FFL dealers to people 21 and older, with exception for 18 year olds buying rifles or shotguns. But again, it's not illegal for a parent to buy their child a firearm and gift it to them.

mjones

I'll try to find the laws later, but iirc, your mom can't "buy a gun for you" as that would be a straw hat purchase

That's a common misconception dk - its perfectly legal for someone to buy a gun for someone else as a gift provided they do it with their own (or communal) money. My wife has legally bought me several firearms. The process would be the same for a parent to a child.

Calguns Wiki Straw Purchase

Alternatively, a parent can gift a handgun to their adult child via intrafamillial transfer (which you already mentioned)
CalGuns Wiki Intrafamily Transfer

OP, you're biggest difficulty is going to be securing permission - You may have greater success obtaining a CCW or looking into LUCC

CalGuns.net CCW Search

Calguns.net LUCC Search

Protoman2050

That's a common misconception dk - its perfectly legal for someone to buy a gun for someone else as a gift provided they do it with their own (or communal) money. My wife has legally bought me several firearms. The process would be the same for a parent to a child.

Calguns Wiki Straw Purchase

Alternatively, a parent can gift a handgun to their adult child via intrafamillial transfer (which you already mentioned)
CalGuns Wiki Intrafamily Transfer

OP, you're biggest difficulty is going to be securing permission - You may have greater success obtaining a CCW or looking into LUCC

CalGuns.net CCW Search

Calguns.net LUCC Search

Locked Unloaded Concealed Carry would be perfect. Do they make biometrically-locked containers I can wear on my belt?

CenTex

Hi!
I'm 19, and I'm somewhat confused about the UOC law with respect to universities. I was recently assaulted in broad daylight at Cerritos College, and I'm seriously considering UOCing. I know the law requires I secure the written permission of an official authorized to authorize me to UOC. Who would that be? The president, the campus PD?

Obviously, I'd rather UOC a .357 magnum Ruger New Model Blackhawk revolver, but I'm not sure if you need to be 21 to possess it, or just 21 to buy it.
Thanks!

Now, unless I am greatly mistaken, no authorization is going to be issued to you from a school head to UOC. So, forget that. Your chance of getting to CC on campus may be more obtainable, but I wouldn't want to bet on it. It's been brought up, but I want to hit on it again. Do you want to take the chance of having a stray bullet hit some innocent bystander and killing them? What if several people are hit by stray bullets? What if your bullet hits a young man or woman who is a spouse as well as a parent? Do you want to live with that haunting you the rest of your life?

Now consider this, you have already been attacked and obviously survived. Is being assaulted reason enough to kill someone? Should you be attacked again, do you want to take the responsibility of pulling a firearm and shooting your assailant when the assailant may have nothing more in mind than beating you up, or taking your money, or just scaring you? You do not want to pull your firearm unless you intend to kill someone with it. Is that what you want as your choice should you be attacked again? The decision to draw a firearm and using it is predicated on the "belief" that your life is being threatened and, should the perpetrator succeed, you will die or will be severely injured. In my opinion, anything less than that does not warrant the use of a firearm.

You should take your own advice. Stay with groups of people. You should walk with friends to and from classes. Never walk alone.