• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AZ Rep Gabrielle Giffords and 3 staffers shot at event.

okboomer

The news is reporting her passing. So sad. Major failure of her security team.

Even more sad, a child was shot and killed by the gunman. My prayers are with all those killed, injured and affected by this tragedy.

Armed

Here it comes....

Well, that didn't take long. Some talking head on CNN already accusing the "rabid right" and "lunatic" gun owners for this shooting. Idiots.... we have no idea at this point who the shooter is, or what the motive might be.

25sierraman

Of course they're going to blame the "right" and gun owners for this. This is a horrible event and it's really sad that some lunatic felt he needed to do this to another human being. My prayers are with her and her family. I hope that everyone can remain calm and punish the person for his or her crime instead of sticking him with a group of people and blaming them as a whole.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Brace yourself for a new onslaught vilifying the evil guns and Arizona's new Constitutional Carry laws.

We must remain rational, even with our detractors. This was the result of a person's action, who ignored the laws in place. Will be looking and waiting for more detailed information.

Very sad. Have to wonder about the security (if any) and belated response if they where there.

OldCurlyWolf

Brace yourself for a new onslaught vilifying the evil guns and Arizona's new Constitutional Carry laws.

We must remain rational, even with our detractors. This was the result of a person's action, who ignored the laws in place. Will be looking and waiting for more detailed information.

Very sad. Have to wonder about the security (if any) and belated response if they where there.

The only report I heard on that is NONE. I checked out her website. She was getting a lot of NASTY mail. No security at all wasn't smart.:cuss:

2a4all

This may seem a bit premature, but it will be asked at some point:

Does anyone know if firearms are/were prohibited in that Safeway store?

What is Safeway's corporate policy?

I'm sure there will be a rash of "knee-jerk woulda, coulda, shoulda" reactions to this tragic event.

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
My thoughts and prayers go out to her and the others who were shot.

Fox news reports that 19 were shot and 5 have died. She is still alive but in critical condition.

Beretta92FSLady

As Mr. Boehner (spelled the name right?) had stated, that this attack is an attack on all of them--it is!

In the news reports it appear that the shooter was tackled by a bystander. There must have been zero security. She was shot in the head, hopefully it was a graze, but head shot are always bad bad bad news.

I think that the political bitterness that has been going on between the two parties the past few years has reached a boiling point where some nut-job (who cares what side he is on) decides to go out and start shooting congress-people.

I hope the POS gets the chair. And I hope all injured recover fully.

**Gifford was pro-gun** Described as a Blue Dog Democrat.

Last edited:

Armed

This may seem a bit premature, but it will be asked at some point:

Does anyone know if firearms are/were prohibited in that Safeway store?

What is Safeway's corporate policy?

I'm sure there will be a rash of "knee-jerk woulda, coulda, shoulda" reactions to this tragic event.

Don't know about the store policy, but based on a witness account of the shooting the incident took place outside of the store on a covered walkway up against the building.

Beretta92FSLady

a
IMHO - that type of rationale is inappropriate at this time.

There is enough ignorance and hate on that link to last me a lifetime.

I agree that at this time it is inappropriate. But it does beg the question, but that question be held for a later date.

There is a lot of ignorance and hate. Is it not an ignorant thing to do though, putting a target over a representatives name, and the page reading "it's time to take a stand"? Considering one of those "targets" has now been shot in the head; could this maybe have been not so good of an idea to create a list like that, gun tone to it, a political hit-list (of course, we all know Palin didn't intend for people to actually go out and shoot congress-people).

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Dr Rhee has just stated that they have 10 patients - five in surgery and five more in critical condition. One additional patient, a 9 year old child is deceased.

The congress woman was shot in the side of the head, has undergone neuro-surgery and they are very "optimistic" about her condition. She is in ICU now.

http://wwitv.com/tv_channels/b4185.htm

Last edited:

Sonora Rebel

Shooter identified as Jarred Loughner, 22 yrs old (white) from Tucson. (KOLD Tucson) Unidentified bystander tackled the shooter and effected a capture. Local radio news (101.4 FM) had a caller who said the bystander was his room mates father... and that (I quote): "He'll prob'ly get fined... because he shot him." That's unconfirmed but it's possible that the capture of the shooter was effected by an LAC.

NPR of course reported that the shooter used an automatic weapon... (doubtful). TPD stated that the shooter had prior arrests (unk for what).

A Judge was also shot, possibly killed... which muddies the scenario as to who the intended target was. Motive is unk... and no sane person would speculate on that.

Giffords at last report was still alive (Univ. Med Center surgeon sez... KOLD) I saw TPD and Pima County Sheriff vehicles (lights on) heading east on Ina Rd when I first heard of the shooting (phone call). I was heading west a few blocks from I-10. 'Watching updates now on KOLD, Tucson.

Oh... Safeway is not posted for carry. I've carried in that store and so has my wife. This incident happened outside on the pavement adjacent to the parking lot.

MK

an AP report says the shooter used a pistol so I assume he only used one weapon. I wonder how much time he had before he was finally subdued and if he reloaded and how much he reloaded. I am also curious if any of her staff members or anyone else possibly at the event were armed. I would guess that some of this was caught on film as well.

I feel bad for her and the others shot especially the child. I hope there isn't a backlash in regards to this crime and that the blame falls solely on this who were directly involved.