• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Erasing digital recorder illegal?

txzeenath

After the cop has you cuffed he takes your phone.

*crunch*

What recording? What phone?

That phone that sent out a GPS signal every 5 minutes in the past 8 hours, and now suddenly stopped at the exact location of the police encounter. It's a stretch(long one) yes, but saying "what phone?", doesn't work so well with modern electronics, assuming you're "connected".

eastmeyers

That phone that sent out a GPS signal every 5 minutes in the past 8 hours, and now suddenly stopped at the exact location of the police encounter. It's a stretch(long one) yes, but saying "what phone?", doesn't work so well with modern electronics, assuming you're "connected".

Its called burden of proof, and beyond a reasonable doubt.... Also, your GPS usually doesn't track where you have been unless, well you have the GPS (physically, not in a crunched non working phone)... The phone company doesn't keep the record. I have GPS on my phone. I can go on the computer right now and see where it is. But I can't see where its been. Maybe their is an app for that, but then again, it would be on the phone. The phone that was crunched.

ETA: That is why live stream recording is always a good idea, like qik, or alike. If its an option.

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

Its called burden of proof, and beyond a reasonable doubt.... Also, your GPS usually doesn't track where you have been unless, well you have the GPS (physically, not in a crunched non working phone)... The phone company doesn't keep the record. I have GPS on my phone. I can go on the computer right now and see where it is. But I can't see where its been. Maybe their is an app for that, but then again, it would be on the phone. The phone that was crunched.

ETA: That is why live stream recording is always a good idea, like qik, or alike. If its an option.

Latitude apps

Turn on optional Latitude apps that let you see your location history and more.

http://www.google.com/mobile/latitude/

Might be able to use it from the computer as well, as Google Latitude can run outside the cell phone.

I would carefully consider the implications of using such a tracking mechanism before activation...

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
fortunately that's irrelevant in michigan since MI supreme has held on multiple occasions the right to record, even secretly, public officials. or the right to record a conversation secretly as long as the recorder is a party to the conversation.

unless of course, they decide in favor of the police... setting a US supreme court precedent. but then the police would also have to stop recording...

Last edited:

craigm

After the cop has you cuffed he takes your phone.

*crunch*

What recording? What phone?

The recording that's still on the SD card. The phone that synced with Google, Exchange, and Facebook until the exact time of the encounter.

Just an FYI, those SD cards can usually hold up to quite a bit.

TheQ

The recording that's still on the SD card. The phone that synced with Google, Exchange, and Facebook until the exact time of the encounter.

Just an FYI, those SD cards can usually hold up to quite a bit.

I've yet to find anything that holds up to a dremel drill.

Plus the cop could pop out the SD and toss it in a random street bin. Then what?

Real time upload is the way to go .... Or use the Michigan 2A Porc line.