• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Im thinking...Glock 19?

HearseGuy

Well i have almost decided on a Glock 19. I got to handle one recently and dug it. This will be the first handgun that i will be using and practicing alot with, as well as being my open carry weapon. (Had handguns before, but in Maryland. Thats all ill say :) )

I am wondering tho, what's the going rate on a used 19? What should i expect to pay these days? The ones I'm seeing used seem a bit high as compared to retail, and prices as of 6 months ago. Is this due to all the crap going on? I want to buy one privately, locally.

With that being said, if a 19 isn't an option, what else could i look at in a relatively popular 9mm, near the size of a 19, and has holsters and magazines readily available? Also near the 19 price range. I would love to try a Caracal F but i cant find any and magazines and holsters seem to be an issue.

Thanks guys!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I certainly can't fault the Glock 19. Mine is a Gen 2, and I purchased it used, but had the slide refinished at the same time. It is one of the most popular handguns during this time of high demand, so no, you will not find any great deals. It is probably the most popular Glock model.

You aren't going to find much better deals on anything comparable, either. But you can look at the Springfield Armory XD. The XD(m) will be the more expensive version, so there are some deals on the original XD series to be had. It has a different grip angle, more similar to the venerable 1911, but you might like it.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
A Glock 19 is an excellent choice and is Glock's most popular handgun. You can't go wrong with this one. Other good choices in the same vein would be Smith and Wesson M&P's and Springfield XD's to name two companies. Their design is similar to that of Glock's and their offerings are very good as well. But the sheer simplicity and reliability of the Glock is legendary and hard to beat.

Seattleite

Good choice

Some older Glocks (Gen 2) can be found in retail shops that are "factory refurbished". These are trade ins often from police departments that are resold as factory warranteed guns. I have a couple, but have never purchased one new. They come with the same accessories. (usually with 2 magazines)

The Glock 17 is also sometimes found like the re-furbished G19s. Their "packages" usually have an extra magazine (3 total) as do the current new-in-box guns.

Otherwise, if you have found one with a good price and like the feel, you really can't go wrong. The used guns hold their values well... but the PD trade-ins seem to be at a discount... if you can find one. Maybe you could call around and ask dealers if they have any factory Gen2 trade ins.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

From everything I have heard a Glock is a excellent gun. As far as cost you will find wide differences in price where you shop, so shop around.

ADobbs1989

Don't expect to find any amazing deals, you can sometimes find LE trade in's for less because they buy them for less, but overall glocks hold their value very well.

HearseGuy

Thanks for the replys guys! I think the 19 will do me just fine. The ole lady is expressing alot of interest in getting some training and possibly carrying too which is awesome! So i think the 19 will suit her OK as well if she ever had to use it. And i think she will be able to handle it capably.

Ive been studying and doing my home work for a couple months now before considering carrying. I will also be purchasing a quality retention holster. One of my vintage hearses may be finding a new home soon so i may have a few spare dollars which will be nice so i can get everything i need. And put some away for a florida vacation in may! Lookin to do some riding and shooting with my dad down there.

davidmcbeth

Banned
A Glock 19 is an excellent choice and is Glock's most popular handgun. You can't go wrong with this one. Other good choices in the same vein would be Smith and Wesson M&P's and Springfield XD's to name two companies. Their design is similar to that of Glock's and their offerings are very good as well. But the sheer simplicity and reliability of the Glock is legendary and hard to beat.

I'd pick up the Springfield out of all those listed ... its a sweet gun .. all good choices (although I'm not a big fan of Glocks):D

Beretta92FSLady

I have a G-26. Originally, I was gong to get a G-19, but opted for the G-26, because I thought it would be more concealable. Wrong!, IMO, of course. I'm trading it in.

Go with the G-19...it's light, it's durable, and you can get a conversion kit for it...22 all day shooting, for fifteen bucks!

HearseGuy

Go with the G-19...it's light, it's durable, and you can get a conversion kit for it...22 all day shooting, for fifteen bucks!

Thats an excellent point! My buddy has 2 glocks. He was telling me about the .22 conversion. I think he said it was kinda pricey, but it keeps the weapon the same weight, which is great, and allows you to shoot .22 rounds which as you said is much cheaper. And great fun for plinking around!

sudden valley gunner

I carry the g19 daily, great gun. I didn't wanna buy it because my only association with Glocks was that Cops and Gangbangers like them and I didn't want to be associated with either....:p .

I thought about getting the .22 conversion kit but decided, if I wanna shoot .22 I'll just shoot my .22's, when I practice with the Glock I want to practice with the caliber I would need in a SHTF scenario.

mobiushky

Thanks for the replys guys! I think the 19 will do me just fine. The ole lady is expressing alot of interest in getting some training and possibly carrying too which is awesome! So i think the 19 will suit her OK as well if she ever had to use it. And i think she will be able to handle it capably.

Ive been studying and doing my home work for a couple months now before considering carrying. I will also be purchasing a quality retention holster. One of my vintage hearses may be finding a new home soon so i may have a few spare dollars which will be nice so i can get everything i need. And put some away for a florida vacation in may! Lookin to do some riding and shooting with my dad down there.

My EDC, G19. Wife's EDC, G26. She prefers the G19 for how it feels, but she CC's only and the G19 is a little on the large side for her frame. G26 conceals better. That said, either one works. But if you only plan to OC, G19.

Not to offend YardSale, but joining GSSF is great if you are ok waiting for a year. You have to be in GSSF for a year before you can buy at that price. Membership is $35. BUT, if you have a year to wait it's the best deal you'll find. Although why join a shooting competition and not compete?

Beretta92FSLady

I carry the g19 daily, great gun. I didn't wanna buy it because my only association with Glocks was that Cops and Gangbangers like them and I didn't want to be associated with either....:p .

I thought about getting the .22 conversion kit but decided, if I wanna shoot .22 I'll just shoot my .22's, when I practice with the Glock I want to practice with the caliber I would need in a SHTF scenario.

*jump-off*

If you practice on a conversion kit...I recommend you still send a couple of magazines worth of your carry caliber, after each range visit.

HearseGuy

Well i ended up with Gen 4 17.

Might still keep lookin for a 19. 17 feels good tho. Might keep it we'll see.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

How'd that happen?

The G17 is also a fine piece and was the first Glock introduced for use and sale in the U.S. I also have one in the gen3 (all of my Glocks are gen3's). I helped a neighbor friend buy a gen4 last fall. It was his first semi-auto centerfire pistol and he was just new to all of this. He has rifles and a small revolver but nothing in semi-auto.

Keep your G17 and try to locate a G19, preferably a gen3. I believe pretty much all of the kinks have been worked out of the gen4's, but the gen3's still seem to be the ones to have (some like even earlier iterations).

Let us know what you think of your new purchase after taking it to the range.

mobiushky

Nice. I've actually been thinking about a G17 for myself for OC. But if I spent the money right now, I'd probably end up with another G19 first. But I'd like to get a 17 at some point.

Tactical9mm

Nice. I've actually been thinking about a G17 for myself for OC. But if I spent the money right now, I'd probably end up with another G19 first. But I'd like to get a 17 at some point.

My G19 is a third gen that I've put well over 50k rounds through. Great pistol, with not a single malfunction in all of those rounds fired.

I strongly recommend anyone considering a G17, to try a longslide G34 first. I love my G34, and it is a unbelievably accurate at extreme range (50-100 yards), let alone "normal" shooting distances. Great pistol for OC!