• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

6 Students Robbed at Gunpoint at Old Dominion University

Esanders2008

From the ODU Police Chief:

"The Norfolk Police department has advised they are investigating a robbery that was reported to have occurred at approximately 1 a.m. Monday, Sept. 2 at 42nd Street at Powhatan Avenue near the LR Hill sports complex.

Six students traveling on foot were approached by four males, one who was armed with a handgun. Each student had their wallets and Iphones taken. The students were not injured during this robbery. The suspects fled on foot north on Powhatan towards the campus.

Suspects are described as:

1. Black Male, light skin, dreadlocks, approximately 5-10 in height.
2. Black Male, light skin, dreadlocks, approximately 5-10, last scene wearing a tank top, jeans.
3. Black Male, dark skin, with short hair.
4. Black Male, no further description is available.

Members of the ODU community are reminded to take the following safety precautions:

Use the university shuttle and Saferide service,
Avoid the over consumption of alcohol as it impairs your awareness,
Avoid carrying cash and other valuables,
Activate the tracking software on iPhones and other smartphones.

The Old Dominion University Police Department has increased patrols in the areas bordering the campus. The ODU police investigators are working with Norfolk Police to follow all available leads.

If you have seen these individuals or have any information to aid investigators contact the Old Dominion University Police at 683-4000. "

I thought ODU was a gun free zone? How could this happen? /sarcasm

I contacted my VA Senator, Jeffrey L. McWaters, to voice my concern. I spoke with a member of his staff and explained that I was concerned about the growing crime at ODU. I also said my piece on how GFZs don't work, and how we should allow lawful firearms to be carried at ODU. She informed me that there were no universities in VA that allowed carry, and that after VA Tech, the Governor called a commission to see what should be done. (I think we all know how that turned out) I asked for an email follow-up, asking if the Senator would either introduce or support legislation allowing lawful carry of firearms.

While I had his office on the phone, I also voiced my support for constitutional carry.

I will follow up here as a receive replies from his office.

DocWalker

From the ODU Police Chief:

"The Norfolk Police department has advised they are investigating a robbery that was reported to have occurred at approximately 1 a.m. Monday, Sept. 2 at 42nd Street at Powhatan Avenue near the LR Hill sports complex.

Six students traveling on foot were approached by four males, one who was armed with a handgun. Each student had their wallets and Iphones taken. The students were not injured during this robbery. The suspects fled on foot north on Powhatan towards the campus.

Suspects are described as:

1. Black Male, light skin, dreadlocks, approximately 5-10 in height.
2. Black Male, light skin, dreadlocks, approximately 5-10, last scene wearing a tank top, jeans.
3. Black Male, dark skin, with short hair.
4. Black Male, no further description is available.

Members of the ODU community are reminded to take the following safety precautions:

Use the university shuttle and Saferide service,
Avoid the over consumption of alcohol as it impairs your awareness,
Avoid carrying cash and other valuables,
Activate the tracking software on iPhones and other smartphones.

The Old Dominion University Police Department has increased patrols in the areas bordering the campus. The ODU police investigators are working with Norfolk Police to follow all available leads.

If you have seen these individuals or have any information to aid investigators contact the Old Dominion University Police at 683-4000. "

I thought ODU was a gun free zone? How could this happen? /sarcasm

I contacted my VA Senator, Jeffrey L. McWaters, to voice my concern. I spoke with a member of his staff and explained that I was concerned about the growing crime at ODU. I also said my piece on how GFZs don't work, and how we should allow lawful firearms to be carried at ODU. She informed me that there were no universities in VA that allowed carry, and that after VA Tech, the Governor called a commission to see what should be done. (I think we all know how that turned out) I asked for an email follow-up, asking if the Senator would either introduce or support legislation allowing lawful carry of firearms.

While I had his office on the phone, I also voiced my support for constitutional carry.

I will follow up here as a receive replies from his office.

This is obviously false as the University is a gun free zone, there is no way a bad guy would break the law and bring a pistol on school grounds.....

Esanders2008

This is obviously false as the University is a gun free zone, there is no way a bad guy would break the law and bring a pistol on school grounds.....

That's what I thought at first too, but it seems that the system might have a flaw. I think it might have something to do with the fact that criminals don't follow laws, but my hypothesis is still in the working stages... :p

DocWalker

That's what I thought at first too, but it seems that the system might have a flaw. I think it might have something to do with the fact that criminals don't follow laws, but my hypothesis is still in the working stages... :p

That is a good theory but unless you can come up with some data showing a history of criminals breaking the law the liberals won't believe your theory.

va_tazdad

Ya just gotta lovbe "staffers" that don't know squat.

"I contacted my VA Senator, Jeffrey L. McWaters, to voice my concern. I spoke with a member of his staff and explained that I was concerned about the growing crime at ODU. I also said my piece on how GFZs don't work, and how we should allow lawful firearms to be carried at ODU. She informed me that there were no universities in VA that allowed carry, and that after VA Tech, the Governor called a commission to see what should be done. (I think we all know how that turned out) I asked for an email follow-up, asking if the Senator would either introduce or support legislation allowing lawful carry of firearms."

Yet another uneducated fool that thinks the GFZs actually work. Bet her outlook would change if SHE were the victim.

I just love the young inexperienced dreamers that politicians hire to act as their mouthpiece so as to avoid actually making the same stupid comments themselves.

Kind of like NObama having Idiot Joe as VP. He gets to make all the dumb statements so NObama can say he is only the VP, not a voice of authority (or knowledge).

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Your senator is dead wrong. Liberty University here in Lynchburg, with something in excess of 12,000 resident students and 100,000 online students has had a student firearm carrying program in place for a couple years now. The university has their own firearm carry permitting program for students, faculty, and staff who can carry nearly anywhere on campus and visitors are freely allowed to carry as well. From what I understand carry is generally limited to concealed carry for those associated with the school, but I never had an issue OCing on the rare chance I was ever up there as a visitor. The program was restricted to allowing only faculty and staff to carry in buildings at first, but now students and visitors may freely carry in buildings as well.

I'd be tempted to ask (while recording at least audio) if Liberty U students were just generally better people than the average ODU student since Liberty has managed to make their program work just fine so far. Of course this will put the senator in a spot to see just what they think of the common person.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
They were traveling in a group as well - known to be a recommendation of GFZ Police Chiefs.

In this case is was just another concentration of victims supplied by your local school administration.

The RMA (Robbery and Muggers Association) thanks them :exclaim:

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
They were traveling in a group as well - known to be a recommendation of GFZ Police Chiefs.

In this case is was just another concentration of victims supplied by your local school administration.

One stop shopping eh? Wunderbar !

DocWalker

It is easier to shot fish in a barrel if they are all "schooled" together.....now we know why they call a group of fish a school.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
"I contacted my VA Senator, Jeffrey L. McWaters, to voice my concern. I spoke with a member of his staff and explained that I was concerned about the growing crime at ODU. I also said my piece on how GFZs don't work, and how we should allow lawful firearms to be carried at ODU. She informed me that there were no universities in VA that allowed carry, and that after VA Tech, the Governor called a commission to see what should be done. (I think we all know how that turned out) I asked for an email follow-up, asking if the Senator would either introduce or support legislation allowing lawful carry of firearms."

Yet another uneducated fool that thinks the GFZs actually work. Bet her outlook would change if SHE were the victim.

I just love the young inexperienced dreamers that politicians hire to act as their mouthpiece so as to avoid actually making the same stupid comments themselves.

Kind of like NObama having Idiot Joe as VP. He gets to make all the dumb statements so NObama can say he is only the VP, not a voice of authority (or knowledge).

I'm betting that a high percentage of them enjoy the headiness of being close to power.

If they were all that much dreamers and concerned about their fellow man, they'd eschew anything to do with ruling their fellows without their fellows' individual express consent.

DocWalker

I'm betting that a high percentage of them enjoy the headiness of being close to power.

If they were all that much dreamers and concerned about their fellow man, they'd eschew anything to do with ruling their fellows without their fellows' individual express consent.

You forget that this generation have had 12 years of pimary indoctornation (k-12 school) and then 2-4 more years of under-grad liberal theories before becoming an intern.

Esanders2008

You forget that this generation have had 12 years of pimary indoctornation (k-12 school) and then 2-4 more years of under-grad liberal theories before becoming an intern.

For what it is worth, so far, I have not really encountered liberal indoctrination. I have had professors that were VERY obviously liberal, but they at least graded my work on it's merits, not content. For example, my second year english prof was openly liberal, but still gave me a well deserved A on a paper I wrote denouncing further gun control laws.

DocWalker

For what it is worth, so far, I have not really encountered liberal indoctrination. I have had professors that were VERY obviously liberal, but they at least graded my work on it's merits, not content. For example, my second year english prof was openly liberal, but still gave me a well deserved A on a paper I wrote denouncing further gun control laws.

You haven't been to Berkley I presume....lol