• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

.32 Rimfire Ammunition??

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I have an old H&R Bulldog revolver chambered in .32 Rimfire. It functions very well mechanically so I would love to fire it. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any ammunition for it. Does anyone know of a reliable source or any places I could check? I know it's a long shot (pun intended) but it would be fun to shoot. Thanks.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
You might be able to make a few rounds using .22 blanks for primers

Thanks, I was expecting a ridiculous price. Anybody else find anything?

You would have to make up special cases to allow the firing pin to strike the rim of the .22 case. I have thought of the possiblity, and it would give you some reloadable cases.

Of course, for all the trouble, you could buy a nice centerfire .32 revolver and ammo.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Thanks for the responses, guys, I really appreciate the help. I just want to shoot it a couple times for the historical value. I don't mind paying for the opportunity, not planning on shooting often.

Gunslinger

I would have it checked out by a gunsmith first, just to be sure. Old guns that you don't have full history on can be problematic--and revolvers have to have cylinder to forcing cone alignment or you could get a face full of powder or lead. Wear tends to push this alignment off. Nice collector piece to have.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I would have it checked out by a gunsmith first, just to be sure. Old guns that you don't have full history on can be problematic--and revolvers have to have cylinder to forcing cone alignment or you could get a face full of powder or lead. Wear tends to push this alignment off. Nice collector piece to have.

Thanks for the tip. I was planning on having this done. Wanted to make sure the ammunition was even obtainable before taking that step. I paid $35.00 for it. Either way, like you said, a nice collector piece. :)

Marc

You also might try checking prices for custom made ammo from different gunsmiths. I know you can contact Cor-Don ammo and they can custom make ammo for any gun, also Red Jacket might be willing to make some for a price. Just a suggestion and u might even have shops locally with the ability to make custom ammo.

and if u shoot me a pm I can provide the contact info for both Cor-Don and Red Jacket.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You also might try checking prices for custom made ammo from different gunsmiths. I know you can contact Cor-Don ammo and they can custom make ammo for any gun, also Red Jacket might be willing to make some for a price. Just a suggestion and u might even have shops locally with the ability to make custom ammo.

and if u shoot me a pm I can provide the contact info for both Cor-Don and Red Jacket.

Presume you mean Corbon/Cor-Bon ammunition.
http://www.corbon.com/

Mastersgt

.32 rimfire ammo

I have an old H&R Bulldog revolver chambered in .32 Rimfire. It functions very well mechanically so I would love to fire it. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any ammunition for it. Does anyone know of a reliable source or any places I could check? I know it's a long shot (pun intended) but it would be fun to shoot. Thanks.

I always get mine at Cabela's. Yesterday they had 4 different types. Two of them were .32 Magnum, not sure if the H&R will fire those or not.

Mastersgt

Primus

Do you know more about your revolver? I recently picked one up, also in .32 cal. Haven't fired it yet. It came with ammunition that was center fire. Are they all center fire or rim fire?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

I always get mine at Cabela's. Yesterday they had 4 different types. Two of them were .32 Magnum, not sure if the H&R will fire those or not.

Mastersgt
.32 rim fire hasn't been made in a loong time and no .32 mag will not work.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.32_rimfire

.32 magnum is a center fire round. Info fro 2005 shows which of these will interchange.
http://smith-wessonforum.com/ammo/198347-difference-32-32-s-w-l.html

WalkingWolf

Very old guns are a part of history. By attempting to shoot the gun you are chancing damaging history and yourself. I like shooting old guns also, but within reason. IMO you should put it up and save it for your heirs. If you wish to shoot a 32, there are still some 32-20 out there for a reasonable price. I paid $150 for mine, it was a old colt police positive. It is safe to shoot with loads below 16,000 cup. Do a little reloading and ammo is cheap.

The other option to shoot a piece of history safely is black powder revolvers. Even the old originals, if you can find one, are safe with BP. New ones are made with modern steel, and can be shot with smokeless using cartridge conversions.

WalkingWolf

Do you know more about your revolver? I recently picked one up, also in .32 cal. Haven't fired it yet. It came with ammunition that was center fire. Are they all center fire or rim fire?

No they are not the same, rimfires are very old, and a working rimfire would be rare and I would think worth some money. 32 caliber centerfire revolvers were very common and popular in the late 19th, and early 20th century.

davidmcbeth

Banned
No they are not the same, rimfires are very old, and a working rimfire would be rare and I would think worth some money. 32 caliber centerfire revolvers were very common and popular in the late 19th, and early 20th century.

I would put the gun into a cabinet for show ... $2/rd is expensive? Think about a trip to the ER ...

If insistent about shooting .. use a lanyard and vise for a few test rds and stand well back.

Be neat it if worked well.

Primus

Thanks for the info. I do have a centerfire one from the late 19th. It's actually in great shape, haven't decided if I want to shoot it. Right now it's just a show piece/ training gun.