• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Harless Fired

Gunslinger

Other cops donated their sick leave to this psycopath when he ran out of his own. How typical of the band of blue thugs. And of course no criminal charges were made. After all, the Gestapo is above the law they routinely trample. I'm surprised they even fired the piece of ****.

DocWalker

Other cops donated their sick leave to this psycopath when he ran out of his own. How typical of the band of blue thugs. And of course no criminal charges were made. After all, the Gestapo is above the law they routinely trample. I'm surprised they even fired the piece of ****.

They pretty much had to fire him as their is to much public backlash both local and national on this and with the video it really gets things going. What his lawyer is trying to do now is to get him a medical retirement by saying he has suffered from PTSD for the last 8 years. It is all bull but the citizens will have to pay for his medical retirement and he can say he is retired and not fired.

It is sad and I hope the town fights this POS and his lawyer on this issue.

Deanimator

They pretty much had to fire him as their is to much public backlash both local and national on this and with the video it really gets things going. What his lawyer is trying to do now is to get him a medical retirement by saying he has suffered from PTSD for the last 8 years. It is all bull but the citizens will have to pay for his medical retirement and he can say he is retired and not fired.

It is sad and I hope the town fights this POS and his lawyer on this issue.
I believe that some of the complaints or one of the videos predate the incident which allegedly prompted his laughable "PTSD" claim.

DocWalker

What about the other officers who stood by and did nothing during the obvious violations of policy? Did they not think his action a little out of line? If he had PTSD did they not notice and recognize the symptoms? If they suspected he had PTSD how could these other offices continue to serve with him and allow him to continue this behavior?

I agree completely, his partner should have been fired also. He just stood there and watched this happen.

Makarov

I’m not saying all cops are bad but they do have egos that bruise easily. This is a problem with any group. When there is bad apples and we focus on those apples to label a group. This episode leaves many questions that the Canton police department must answer to the public with. Here are a few I came up with.

1. Why was this officer cleared from previous occurrences?
2. Why did his few police officers allow this behavior to exist unchecked?
3. Is this the culture of the Canton police force?
4. What measures are being put in place to prevent future occurrences?
5. What training is taking place to reeducate the department?

What is the culture of the Canton PD.? If they let this behavior go unchecked then they are no better than the criminals. I’m glad to see this officer was fired. Now let pursue criminal charges; violation of civil liberties while under colors", "threatening to do bodily harm" etc. I think he should also lose his Second Amendment rights, turn in all his privately owned weapons to the police for destruction and also he should be place on the watch list so he cannot purchase a weapons. Let’s see how he feels about that!

Last edited:

But, but it wasn't officer Harless fault that he went berserk. It was the guy that had the nerve to carry a legal licensed weapon in a bad area at 1:30 A.M. If you don't think so just listen one more time to the President of the Canton City Council and he will inform you of what is wrong. And besides we that do not live in Canton have no business in calling and emailing about this matter.

Goodness this guy makes me want to puke every time I listen to this tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBfpBxY2J00&feature=player_embedded

ManInBlack

But, but it wasn't officer Harless fault that he went berserk. It was the guy that had the nerve to carry a legal licensed weapon in a bad area at 1:30 A.M. If you don't think so just listen one more time to the President of the Canton City Council and he will inform you of what is wrong. And besides we that do not live in Canton have no business in calling and emailing about this matter.

Goodness this guy makes me want to puke every time I listen to this tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBfpBxY2J00&feature=player_embedded

Sounds like he is suffering from some kind of malady for which the prompt application of tar and feathers is the only cure...

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
This was not the first occasion of difficulty with a civilian carrying a weapon. When something like this happens I look at policeone.com to see how the LEO community sees the situation. Nationwide this guy got very little support. Most of the LEO community condemned him.

Tosta Dojen

Daniel Harless to appeal firing from Canton police

The city police officer fired for a pattern of verbal abuse and making threats is trying to get his job back.

Patrolman Daniel Harless is proceeding with the arbitration process, said Kristen Bates Aylward, an assistant city law director.

In January, Safety Director Thomas Ream fired Harless.

Bates Aylward said Thursday that she and the attorney representing Harless have tentatively settled on a neutral third-party arbitrator, who will be asked to hear the case.

(more at Cantonrep.com)