• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A little ot Just got my house searched

Fallschirjmäger

The police are theoretically there to serve the public and to serve me.
It I don't need them and didn't request them, then there's no service to be rendered. They can mind their own business until they're needed.

sudden valley gunner

Some people just don't get what the 4th is about. It is not about whether you have something to hide or not. If we don't exercise our rights we loose them, this is true with guns and it is true with all other "inalienable rights".

Most duplexes don't have access through the attic I have built many in my time there has to be a separation for fire code. And if that was the case go to the guys house and go into his attic.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

So you have personal knowledge of every local, county, state and federal statute and administrative code for every agency at the local, state and federal level? Along with every court case and common law decision applicable to you and yours? I bow to your photographic memory and ability to have read and understood all that. This also assumes that the LEO searching your home knows what is and what is not Illegal to that degree, which is again an amazing feat, since we have many cases of "open carry " is illegal that we as a group are dealing with or currently discussing. I say we agree to disagree and call it good, I don't see any common ground between our positions.

See I don't see this as paranoia at all just common sense. Folks have no idea of the amount of laws that cover just about everything and then are vaguely worded so as to leave its interpretation up to belligerent cops and prosecutors.

If rich folks like Mike Milken and Martha Stewart can be set up and prosecuted for non crimes where does that leave the rest of us. The best defense is to never "cooperate" with the state, cops, or other officials unless absolutely required to do so.

Metalhead47

<snip>...there really is nothing wrong in making sure your loved ones are safe.

Why are your loved ones not equipped and trained to defend themselves as you are? Especially to the point that they need the police to defend them?

You are ignoring a key idea here. It's not about having something to hide, it's the PRINCIPAL of the thing. The gov't should not be where they have no right to be.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Why are your loved ones not equipped and trained to defend themselves as you are? Especially to the point that they need the police to defend them?
You are ignoring a key idea here. It's not about having something to hide, it's the PRINCIPAL of the thing. The gov't should not be where they have no right to be.

Not Ignoring anything here as it was presented he was not home, she was there alone, she did not have a gun and likely does not shoot one so with this let them check, some are so wound up in this bs of every little thing is a huge violation of ones rights when there none when you invite them in and if you do that is your right of choice to do so.
Again this was an ongoing search for the criminal that has no issue of busting up cars and women.

If the context was different then I would have a different position on the issue as I do not open my doors freely with out just cause and that just cause is determined by who, Me!

rpyne

How paranoid does one need to be? Everything I have was purchased legally, I do not grow illegal drugs of any type so what laws would one be in violation of? Same old rhetoric of not knowing every law is no more then a scare statement as one only needs to be aware of those that directly effect them and where they are and what they are doing. Do we need to know the federal statutes for possessing uranium? No and it would be stupid to think so.

You need to read the book "Three Felonies a Day: How the Feds Target the Innocent". The title comes from a study of the illegal things that the average person does on a day to day basis without knowing they are felonies.

A couple of examples I have learned about in recent months: Do you own a guitar with an ebony fingerboard that was manufactured after 1979? If so, you are a felon. Have you purchased a large lobster? I don't remember the exact weight allowed, but purchase of lobsters over a certain size is made a felony by NAFTA. Many trade agreements make the laws of other countries apply to U.S. citizens.

There are so many things that are incorporated into law by way of treaty that it is impossible for anyone to unequivocally state that they have committed no crime. I can guarantee you that if the police decide they want to target you, they can find something you own or something you have done that can qualify as a felony.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Whew Paranoia runs rampart here, is there a limit to how many tin hats do can you have? Or is that illegal also!

Like I said before I have nothing illegal in my home, property, vehicle or on my person.

If you believe this, then how many felonies are you committing right now and what are they?

sudden valley gunner

Some people are so much in love with themselves and the state they will never get it.

It's not about paranoia, it's not about having something to hide.

I guess the founding fathers were just felons and criminals.

Oh here's a recent link on why you don't just allow people to search....

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?99291-Legally-carrying-yet-arrested-anyway

You may beat the rap but you can't beat the ride....so do everything you can not to take that ride that means refusing LEO intrusion into your life, remember they lie in course of investigations and they they have a history of lying in court....they even nicknamed it "testilying".

PistolPackingMomma

When you can't refute, then ridicule, in hopes that no one will notice.

:rolleyes:

I've always been curious, Big Dave. What does "boot" taste like?

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

So if you buy into this bs, what felonies do you commit everyday?
I understand you like your boots fresh off the range!

None that I'm aware of, but ignorance of the law isn't a defense. You ever heard the saying, " If you make enough laws, you will eventually turn everybody into a criminal." ?

And by the way, boots that step on spent brass are better than boots that step on liberty. I'll choose lead poisoning over tyranny every time. You seem to choose both.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
None that I'm aware of, but ignorance of the law isn't a defense. You ever heard the saying, " If you make enough laws, you will eventually turn everybody into a criminal." ?

And by the way, boots that step on spent brass are better than boots that step on liberty. I'll choose lead poisoning over tyranny every time. You seem to choose both.

If, If, If all points to levels of paranoia.

As par for these forums, the topic is put out there and then all these different tid bits people add to or subtract to spill their bs, remember that we are discussing the issue of a criminal being sought, young woman at home alone, possibility of violent offender being in the home unbeknownst to her and she lets them search for her protection or even to assist law enforcement tracking down this vermin.

SFCRetired

I'll tell y'all what an old First Sergeant told me a long time ago, "You cannot get through an entire day without violating some regulation or the other. It is up to me as to whether or not I am going to institute proceedings under the UCMJ against you."

Now, he was referring to Army Regulations, the UCMJ, and the Manual for Courts-Martial which are a lot simpler than the maze of federal, state, and local laws that most of us are faced with every day.

All of that said, the odds that you (general "you") have committed, unknowingly, a felony sometime during the course of a week are quite excellent.

Given the circumstances as OP outlined them, I cannot fault the young woman for allowing the police in to look for the bad guy. Had OP been home at the time, I am confident the story would have been different. I am also confident that he is going to take steps to insure that the young lady's safety is far better assured than it is at present.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
A couple of examples I have learned about in recent months:

1. Do you own a guitar with an ebony fingerboard that was manufactured after 1979? If so, you are a felon.
  2. Have you purchased a large lobster? I don't remember the exact weight allowed, but purchase of lobsters over a certain size is made a felony by NAFTA.
  3. Many trade agreements make the laws of other countries apply to U.S. citizens.
  4. There are so many things that are incorporated into law by way of treaty that it is impossible for anyone to unequivocally state that they have committed no crime.
  5. I can guarantee you that if the police decide they want to target you, they can find something you own or something you have done that can qualify as a felony.

Where are your cites to backup this rhetoric? Or could it possibly be unsubstantiated bull?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Whew Paranoia runs rampart here, is there a limit to how many tin hats do can you have? Or is that illegal also!

Like I said before I have nothing illegal in my home, property, vehicle or on my person.

If you believe this, then how many felonies are you committing right now and what are they?

Dave, as you know, I am not paranoid and try to look at situations with an open mind.

Let's go back towards the original premise.

BigDave lives in a duplex. BigDave has a neighbor who is a trouble maker. BD is not at home but a family member is at home when the police stop by searching for the troubled neighbor.

What BD and family member don't know is that while trying to evade the police the neighbor tried to stash a bag of cocaine in his own duplex through a back window, but because the window was stuck, opened BD window and tossed the bag into BD's place.

This is not an unreal or overstretch situation and is something to consider when the police ask to search your premises. Personally, I will refuse a search based upon principle but I will be aware of the circumstances of a legal pursuit by the police.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Dave, as you know, I am not paranoid and try to look at situations with an open mind.

Let's go back towards the original premise.

BigDave lives in a duplex. BigDave has a neighbor who is a trouble maker. BD is not at home but a family member is at home when the police stop by searching for the troubled neighbor.

What BD and family member don't know is that while trying to evade the police the neighbor tried to stash a bag of cocaine in his own duplex through a back window, but because the window was stuck, opened BD window and tossed the bag into BD's place.

This is not an unreal or overstretch situation and is something to consider when the police ask to search your premises. Personally, I will refuse a search based upon principle but I will be aware of the circumstances of a legal pursuit by the police.

Still no issue here as if this would occur, get that crap out of here that could endanger my family and there would be a greater chance this idiot would return, break in and get the drugs that were left and even more damage being created.

PistolPackingMomma

Still no issue here as if this would occur, get that crap out of here that could endanger my family and there would be a greater chance this idiot would return, break in and get the drugs that were left and even more damage being created.

I'm not sure if you're missing the point or just refuse to see it.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
PPM I am not missing the point you and some are trying to make, I reject the issue that I am in peril with any contact with law enforcement.

Metalhead47

PPM I am not missing the point you and some are trying to make, I reject the issue that I am in peril with any contact with law enforcement.

funny-celebrity-pictures-i-reject-your-reality-and-substitute-my-own.jpg

asset.php