• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colorado Open Carry Meet-up (Colorado Springs)

Elencia

I've just recently started open carrying since I turned 21 less than two weeks ago, so I'm very new to it. However, I am in the military and I'm a fairly experienced competitive shooter in lots of disciplines, so I'm not a total greenhorn.

I'm wondering if there is any established organization in Colorado which MEETS in support of open carry. Also, if there is/are any fellow open carriers in Colorado Springs (or are willing to drive to Colorado Springs) who would like to meet up and go for an open carry outing with me I would really love to make it happen. Tonight I had my first encounter with law enforcement and it shook me up a little. At the moment I feel like I'm the only one out here doing it, but I know that can't be the case.

Just shoot me a message if you'd like to meet up, I would really appreciate being able to meet some fellow open carriers. I'll be looking to make this happen within a week or so if I get any responses, probably on a Saturday or Friday night.

Thanks.

Last edited:

ZackL

There are actually quite a few open carriers out here in the southern part of the state (i.e. south of Denver). There's also a lot up north too, but it seems to be a less predominant carry method. I know that there was recently an open carry outing that quite a few members of this forum met up for and I wasn't able to make it. The next meet up I think is probably going to be further north. However, if you're interested in meeting up with someone, there are many members on this board that carry daily and would probably be able to make a bit of time in their routines to grab a coffee or something. Personally, unless something miraculous happens in the next few weeks, I won't be able to get out of the house with any kind of time or money. But I do hope to maybe meet up with everyone sometime soon.

Also, may I ask what the LEO contact for? Normally in El Paso county you don't have to worry too much about it. The most I've gotten out of officers (that didn't have a reason to pull the car I was in over for bad brake lights) is a nod or a glance.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I'm wondering if there is any established organization in Colorado which MEETS in support of open carry.

Yep. Us!

Just shoot me a message if you'd like to meet up, I would really appreciate being able to meet some fellow open carriers. I'll be looking to make this happen within a week or so if I get any responses, probably on a Saturday or Friday night.

You can either watch this section for the next meetup (we just had one), or you can create your own. Since you're just sporting one post, however, some folks might be a little hesitant...

Also, may I ask what the LEO contact for? Normally in El Paso county you don't have to worry too much about it. The most I've gotten out of officers (that didn't have a reason to pull the car I was in over for bad brake lights) is a nod or a glance.

Agreed, and I'm curious, too. The worst I've gotten is a smile.

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Howdy Newbie!
Well, welcome to the herd! Glad to have you aboard!

That being said, yes, we just had an OC meet up in the Springs about a week or two back. I'm one of them northern folk from Aurora, and we had one up here about a month ago, and it was a real good time.

I take great pleasure in running around with newcomers to OC, and have done so with other folks just starting out. I'd be more than happy to drop down to the springs to spend a day out and about on an OC outing. I have Saturday off, along with Monday and Tuesday. Just let me know what you have in mind.

Whenever I go to the Springs, I go where I will, do what I want, and never been hassled by LEO there.
In fact, I carry all the time, and don't leave the homestead unarmed.

Just remember that you have the unqualified right to carry under the Constitution of Colorado, Article 2, sections 3 and 13 in particular.
As a result of your report, I'd very much like to know what sort of experience happened with you.
I travel every single day through Aurora, Brighton, Golden, Wheatridge, Arvada, Lakewood, Littleton, and other communities around the Denver Metromess and have not once had an incident. So naturally, my curiosity is aroused!

You can send me a PM if you like.
Otherwise, I'll be out running my metal detector on Saturday and hoping to find some more gold!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

rushcreek2

Alencia - THANK YOU for your military service and a very warm welcome to our Colorado bearer cadre. When I return to the Springs in May I hope to be able to meet-up with you, and the other active bearers who are active OC'ers and have already met up and are working to actually put together a viable association. I have been absent because I regularly "Winter" in Texas for health reasons.

While awaiting the details of an LEO encounter that left you shook-up, I'll postpone observations beyond my base suspicion that the "young males" get more community care-taking scrutiny than us "at-risk adults".

It is an unfortunate reality in our society that the LEO community care-taking function -well intended though it may be - does not automatically disengage merely because a person has attained the age of 18, is violating no law, and may actually be serving this country. There seems to be a demographic "sliding-scale" in the application of RESPECT in our society. I say "demographic sliding-scale" because factors like gender, ethnicity, manner of dress, & overall perceived social status affect the scale readings as well.

People in general - and LEO's due to their on-the-job experience - are inclined to be more suspect of the behavior of "younger" (20's) fellow citizens than those perceived to be beyond the magic age of 30. Likewise people in general - and LEO's are no exception - are more hesitant to confront the PERCEIVED "mature", "established", and "positioned" for fear of having the tables turned on them.

In short - conditioned perceptions and preconceived attitudes of others is just something we ALL must deal with. Again - welcome .

Last edited:

tostado22

Elencia, Im glad I saw this thread. I actually open carried for the first time today after reading up on the laws. That would be pretty awesome to have a meet sometime soon. Im stationed here at Carson and Im leaving for gunnery until the 25th but Im open after that. Ill try to keep an eye on this site when I can. Anyone here is welcome to PM me if something is being organized. Again Im glad I found this site.

rushcreek2

Tostado22 - Thank you as well for your service to our nation, and welcome aboard. Congratulations also for opting to exercise your constitutionally guaranteed ( and FOUGHT FOR) RIGHT to bear arms - not merely engaging in "the practice of carrying concealed" under grant of privilege from the State of Colorado.

I am also "permitted" by the State of Colorado to carry concealed when I either must, or so choose. Personally, I am selective in where, and when I carry openly. I began carrying openly in 2008 - slowly testing the environments.

The only hint of a possible problem was one day when the wife and I were shopping at Kohl's on Powers. I preferred then as I do now to carry my Glock 23 in an IWB holster in a fashion that some would probably consider quasi-concealed anyway. My wife spent about 30 minutes goo-goo 'ing "pretty's" along the jewelry counter.

Upon exiting the store there were 2 CSPD units parked at the front curb. I passed in front of the lead PD unit while pushing my wife (in the Kohl's wheel chair) to our parked vehicle. It didn't occur to me that the CSPD presence constituted anything other than response to a shop-lifting call.

Anyway, I returned the wheel chair -again walking in front of the same unit in which the officer was filling out paperwork on her clip board. I was never contacted as I re-entered the store to return their wheel chair, exited again and pulled away. If the PD was responding to a MWAG call - they either missed my open carry condition altogether - or they were in fact called there for another reason.

I believe each person must settle on their own comfort-zone style of carry ( weapon selection, holster). I am an Air Force veteran - and I guess I still tend to wear my personal choice of "uniforms", although they have evolved from "Levis", western shirts, and boots to Docker's , golf shirts, and "loafers" over the years. The latter fits my present "identity" pretty well.

Last edited:

tostado22

Thank you rushcreek2. Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I just got back from the field. I'm starting to really like open carry. I tried a couple mroe places out today after I got home. I haven't gotten any negative responses (or any responses for that matter) to me OC'ing. I got a 6 week school coming up in a week or some but if something was put together this weekend I could probably go.

M-Taliesin

Also, if there is/are any fellow open carriers in Colorado Springs (or are willing to drive to Colorado Springs) who would like to meet up and go for an open carry outing with me I would really love to make it happen.

Howdy!
I responded to this one before, but am curious why I never got a reply. I am more than happy to meet up with folks who are just getting started carrying, and helping them to become comfortable with open carry on an outing around town.

So what's the deal? Is your request something you'd like to try, or just to exercise your trigger finger on a keyboard?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I would be happy to organize another meet-up if there is any interest in about a month or so.
May is a terrific time for a meet-up!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

I know it’s more than a month away, but I’ll be fresh back from Front Sight on May 16th if you’d like to use my yakking about the school as an excuse to schedule a get-together anytime after that day!
O2

Howdy O2!
That might make for interesting conversation. I'm sure folks would be interested to hear about your experience.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Keens

Howdy Folks!
I would be happy to organize another meet-up if there is any interest in about a month or so.
May is a terrific time for a meet-up!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

I'm interested in participating in another meet-up! Let us know when and where.

O2HeN2

I'm interested in participating in another meet-up! Let us know when and where.
Why don't I draw a line in the sand for May 19th (no gun show conflicts :)) for lunch. I'll talk to the owner of Mollica's on Garden of the Gods about OC and see what he says.

O2

Ps. This does not preclude anyone from establishing a get together in April!

rushcreek2

I would be open to May 19th in the Colorado Springs area. I am out of "country" so much here of late that it is difficult for me to forecast that far off. Fortunately my number 2 Grandson has his graduation about that time in the Springs.

Last edited: