• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seattle is planning a buy back!

trevorthebusdriver

Sheeple.

Please join Mayor Mike McGinn, King County Executive Dow Constantine, the Seattle Police Department, the Seattle Police Foundation, the King County Sherriff, former Seattle Mayors, Mount Zion Baptist Church, Director of Public Health – Seattle & King County Dr. David Fleming, Café Racer owner Kurt Geissel, and other community leaders tomorrow morning for the launch of the Seattle-King County Gun Safety Initiative.

Tomorrow’s announcement will detail a new gun buy back effort in Seattle and the surrounding region, a specific component of the Gun Safety Initiative. Former Seattle Mayors Greg Nickels, Norm Rice, Charles Royer and Wes Uhlman will co-chair the Gun Safety Initiative. Sponsors of the gun buy back effort currently include:

Amazon
Five Point Café
Big Mario's Pizza
Nate Miles, Eli Lilly
Nucor Steel
PEMCO
Seattle Police Foundation
SEO Moz

Community partners of the gun buy back effort include:

Associated Recreation Council
Café Racer
Mount Zion Baptist Church
Seattle Metropolitan Chamber of Commerce

WHEN: 10:00 a.m. Tuesday, January 8, 2013
WHERE: Mount Zion Baptist Church, 1634 19th Avenue

skeith5

We should organize a group to get together and do our own buy back. I take it the thing on the 8th is just to discuss a plan? I know others have successfully done a private sale buy back right where the police were doing it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

sudden valley gunner

I think walking the line with an offer of US$25 more than magrimm is offering. Is that not a sale between two private parties?

I think it was Ixtow who did this in Florida, he had a shirt made up that said, "I'll pay more".

And in California a group of guys did this and walked away with a real nice shotgun.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I am watching channel 13, the buy back article. The LA buyback had some lovely weapons on display. I saw a bunch of ARs, a few military long guns, even a mac 11 with what looked like a suppressor on it (prolly not). Nice selection, I wonder if we will do as well? How many of these turn ins have been used in crimes? Will they "run the numbers" or just destroy them and leave a bunch of cold cases. How many thugs are making up a "shopping/robbing" list to acquire a few guns to turn in?
Inquiring minds want to know.

SGTapone

I think it was Ixtow who did this in Florida, he had a shirt made up that said, "I'll pay more".

And in California a group of guys did this and walked away with a real nice shotgun.

Im down to do some "buying back", have some spare blank t-shirts too. anyone want to join?

Dave Workman

And here's how I responded. There are some good talking points in here from some surprising sources.

Gun ‘buybacks’ may be deceptive political theater

One day after conservative and gun rights groups announced a national “Gun Appreciation Day” on Jan. 19 – two days before Barack Obama’s second inauguration, timed perhaps not so coincidentally with Martin Luther King Day – several organizations in Seattle and King County are announcing a gun buyback program that may be more flash than substance.

http://www.examiner.com/article/gun-buybacks-may-be-deceptive-political-theater?cid=db_articles

Dave_pro2a

LEO are probably exempt from receiving stolen guns during city sponsored buy back -- or will refuse to enforce the law if not explicitly exempt (if the buy back is actually a private event endorsed by the city).

I could see LEO planting an illegal gun during a private buy back run by supporters of the 2nd Amendment -- and then swooping down to make arrests. That would be very easy for them to arrange imho.

Beretta92FSLady

Who gives a crapola that they are doing a buy-back. I'm sure the average firearm owner isn't going to hand their stuff in for food cards.

I wouldn't piss on McGinn if he was in fire; when the hell are we going to see a Libertarian--I will settle for a Republican--run for mayor in Seattle!

skeith5

http://www.king5.com/news/cities/se...announcing-gun-buyback-program-186041082.html

SEATTLE -- Turn in a handgun in Seattle and pick up a $100 gift card for online shopping at Amazon.com.
Seattle Mayor Mike McGinn and other community leaders announced the gun buyback program Tuesday to reduce firearms in the community.
Amazon is kicking in $30,000 to start the program and the Seattle Police Foundation is adding $25,000. Pemco and other businesses also are contributing to push the total over $70,000.
The first buyback will be Jan. 26 under an Interstate 5 viaduct in downtown Seattle. Others are planned (more details on the SPD blotter).
Handguns, rifles and shotguns are worth a $100 gift card. Guns classified as assault weapons are worth $200.
Participants need not worry about being accused. Police say they won't take photos or record license plates. No ballistics tests will be conducted on the weapons.

I'd buy an "assault rifle" for $200... I'm sure if you tell the person you are buying from that you will need to see ID and do a bill of sale confirming it's not stolen you will be covered, although if it turns out to be stolen then I'm sure the firearm would be confiscated. According to what I've read most of the guns that come in are one that have been inherited and not wanted. I even saw a Colt Python in one of the pictures... :(

The other option would be to provide free appraisals within line of sight of where the SPD are doing the buy back. Let people know how much they are being screwed and make an offer to buy the weapon.

The only thing gun buy backs are good for is destroying evidence that might have been used in a crime. Think about it, go shoot someone with a cheap gun then turn it into the police and get close to your money back. Evidence is now destroyed...

Scott

Alpine

I thought Seattle was running out of money. McGoo was crying for more taxes because he blew everything on his bike lanes and supposedly didn't have enough money to comply with the DOJ review, so how can they afford this?

Dave_pro2a

I thought Seattle was running out of money. McGoo was crying for more taxes because he blew everything on his bike lanes and supposedly didn't have enough money to comply with the DOJ review, so how can they afford this?

No worries. Amazon will pay for it with all their profits.

Batousaii

Because people in power love to spend money that they dont actually have, when they run out, they just dip into your pocket and mine.

hermannr

We should organize a group to get together and do our own buy back. I take it the thing on the 8th is just to discuss a plan? I know others have successfully done a private sale buy back right where the police were doing it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The guys in Oregon did it with the last ceasefire "buy" in Portland...They were quite successful. And, may I add, I think they will be even more successful next time because of the GOOD publicity they got when they were just on the sidewalk intercepting traffic to the "buy"

Item #1: I will never call it a "buy-back" because none of the individuals or groups involved ever owned any weapons purchased.

Item #2: If a group is serious about doing a counter "buy" just outside the church property...I would suggest you advertize that you are collectors, legally entitled to purchase firearms, and that you will give a free appraisal, and if collector quality, and offer to purchase.

Then at least more of those that see you might just deal with you, or just stop by for the appraisal, and when they find what their weapon is really worth, not participate in the sham "buy"