• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Backpacking and open carry

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Open carry of a handgun is generally not allowed in National Forests.
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5066182.pdf

Don't confuse Nat'l Forests and National Parks (NPS) where state law prevails.

Someone will be along shortly to give you the local take on this.

Really?

where is the page that link orginated from? In Washington all the National Forest Lands carry is legal and they use assimilative jurisdiction and enforce state law, I specifically spoke about that very topic to several sworn Forest Service LE rangers. I've spoken to them out of hunting season while open carrying on FS lands (when one asked if I'd witnessed anything relating to a vehicle crash that occured nearby.... If this is the rule, then the FS does a terrible job of educating their enforcers about it....

Have already had that mispost corrected on this thread by others - Thought I was in Va. Had a senior moment.:p

EMNofSeattle

Have already had that mispost corrected on this thread by others - Thought I was in Va. Had a senior moment.:p

yes, I see that now, but your comment was at the top and I replied without reading every other comment below it, my apologies, although, just to be fair, you had a cite and I only have word of mouth from cops....

lil_freak_66

beer and pasties should be kept on hand to calm any you happen to come across.

its legal in MI, whenever im up in the hiawatha im always carrying.

--Mod error--returned to original condition
Ol' dog learns new trick - bad dog.

Last edited by a moderator: