• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ready to go shooting http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/images/smilies/smile.png

jfrey123

I had made a few PVC stands years back before I broke down and bought the metal stands that use 1x3 boards. I think your design is optimal for minimizing the chance of hitting the stand itself, but the one reason I disliked PVC is that when that one stray flier does hit, it shatters. My PVC design wasn't good enough to continue once it hit the stand, meaning I was done for the day when idiot friends missed. The 1x3's however will take numerous hits before they break apart, hence my reason for switching.

But with every design I see on the Internet, I end up with the "Why didn't I think of that?!" feeling: In your case, I really like the Homer bucket as a base. I imagine it's filled with sand/dirt to weight it down and hold the target upright? GENIUS!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... I imagine it's filled with sand/dirt to weight it down and hold the target upright? GENIUS!

And if you have a shovel, they can be empty during storage and transport, assuming you are shooting somewhere near dirt. Brilliant!

Rusty Young Man

jfrey123 said:
... I imagine it's filled with sand/dirt to weight it down and hold the target upright? GENIUS!

And if you have a shovel, they can be empty during storage and transport, assuming you are shooting somewhere near dirt. Brilliant!

And if you have a rake (or old broom), it can be used to carry your spent brass home. INGENIOUS!

Kopis

go steel targets and never look back. They are so much more reactive than punching holes in paper. I have three stands made of 2x4s with a 12" square target about chest height and an 8" round target at head height. Lots of fun.

Rusty Young Man

Lowes:
View attachment 10983

About 13 bucks. Lasts 5-10 range sessions. Folds up and fits in back of an SUV.

Why ya gotta be like that?
Here is a man (Charles CZ75B [great platform, by the way]) that is exercising the old noodle to be a little bit more self-reliant and inventive, and you come in showing everyone a mass-produced and cheap alternative to DIY stands.:p

Then again, if it's lighter, it may be worth it.:)

Charles CZ75B

My PVC design wasn't good enough to continue once it hit the stand, meaning I was done for the day when idiot friends missed. The 1x3's however will take numerous hits before they break apart, hence my reason for switching.

But with every design I see on the Internet, I end up with the "Why didn't I think of that?!" feeling: In your case, I really like the Homer bucket as a base. I imagine it's filled with sand/dirt to weight it down and hold the target upright? GENIUS!

I take a few of each length for repairs with me when i go and with no glue an easy fix. The bucket is a quarter full with cement and easy to move and the 1 1/4" PVC to hold the target does not move at all, very stable and cheap to maintain. And as a side note my Brother inlaw is the one that likes to shoot PVC !

Maverick9

Why ya gotta be like that?
Here is a man (Charles CZ75B [great platform, by the way]) that is exercising the old noodle to be a little bit more self-reliant and inventive, and you come in showing everyone a mass-produced and cheap alternative to DIY stands.:p

Then again, if it's lighter, it may be worth it.:)

If I had my own range, backyard, on my property, sure, I'd put up PVC type semi-permanent stands. But we use a shooting club, have to load everything in the car, set up, shoot, and pack up. We can do it all in about two hours, including driving time out and back. My gf can set up the targets move them, and grab two of them and toss 'em in the car herself.

So cost, time, weight, replaceability, mobility, storage space, believe me, these are impossible to beat. Buy four of them for about $58, and they last a year of 50 rounds per session, 15-30 shoots per year (more when ammo was cheaper).

I do applaud D-I-Y-S projects, but sometimes you need to grab and go.
HTH