• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NPR Fresh Air on the AK-47

since9

Campaign Veteran
While it's a fairly capable weapon, as it's traditionally been held in the hands of those who've killed tens of thousands of Americans, I'm not sure it deserves mention.

Besides, of the five separate ones I fired, four of them jammed something fierce, a problem I never hand with the M-16A2 I fired for qual years back. Only one fired true, and that one was owned by a gunsmith.

My take is that if it takes a gunsmith to render it true, why would anyone rely on it for any use whatsoever? (unless one is a gunsmith)

5o56x45

While it's a fairly capable weapon, as it's traditionally been held in the hands of those who've killed tens of thousands of Americans, I'm not sure it deserves mention.

Besides, of the five separate ones I fired, four of them jammed something fierce, a problem I never hand with the M-16A2 I fired for qual years back. Only one fired true, and that one was owned by a gunsmith.

My take is that if it takes a gunsmith to render it true, why would anyone rely on it for any use whatsoever? (unless one is a gunsmith)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvrG4T2K4sE

You are joking right?!? You have no idea what you are talking about. The Ak 47 is one of the most reliable weapons (if not THE most reliable weapon in the world). The AK 47 might be a little lacking in accuracy, but it more than makes up for it in reliability and simplicity. I have shot the M 16 quite a bit being in the infantry and it is a great weapon, but the AK I would say has had a much larger impact on the world and is much worth mention.

merc460

You did not fire AK's that were true. This is the importers fault. I recently bought an AK-74 and done a lot research before my purchase. What I found out is there is basically two versions. The 'grab bag' version, and the new parts versions. "Most people buy the "grab bag" version simply out of ignorance and price ($300-$400 vs $700 and up)
What happens with the cheap units is boxes of receivers, barrels, bolts, pistons, ect., come in. The importers just start grabbing (used) parts and assembling the rifles. So you now have a rifle with a bunch of mismatched parts. You may get "lucky" and buy one that works like a dream, and you may not.
I am 99.9% sure this is the issue with the ones you shot. Easy to tell also, just tear the gun down and look at all of the serial numbers of the the parts. They are supposed to match, if they don't, then it is a "grab bag" victim.
What I can say is, I have a new AK-74 (a new model 47, basically only changed the caliber.) and have not had a single issue with it.

ChiangShih

I've owned and shot multiple AK47s, romanian, bulgarian, egyptian, chinese, yugoslavian, century armys, arsenal arms, and saigas and never had a problem. I would like to see some sort of citation and proof for your claims because you are sounding a bit crazy.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I've owned and shot multiple AK47s, romanian, bulgarian, egyptian, chinese, yugoslavian, century armys, arsenal arms, and saigas and never had a problem. I would like to see some sort of citation and proof for your claims....

I've fired two AK-47s with members here on this forum. One worked just fine. The other jammed quite a bit.

The remainder of my information comes from my military training as well as friends of mine in SOCOM.

Last edited: