• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Permit delayed

eBratt

I submitted my application for my carry permit with Prowers county 91 days ago. When it didn't show up in the mail yesterday, I made a call this morning. The reason it is delayed? The sheriff is on vacation until next week. I pointed out the 90 deadline and that they were required to approve and issue or deny within that time. She said she is going to check with someone and call me back. Curious to see how this turns out.

What recourse does the public have when SO's don't comply with the 90 day deadline?

eBratt

Well, they got back to me quickly. They are claiming the Sheriff sent me an email with some questions but I've reviewed my email archives going back to long before I submitted the application and I have never received an email from him or the department. They are now saying that I have to wait for him to get back.

RandallFlagg

Ugh!
If they have no legal cause to deny, they MUST approve you by the 90 day mark AFAIK.

Anyone else want to chime in here?

since9

Campaign Veteran
Ugh!
If they have no legal cause to deny, they MUST approve you by the 90 day mark AFAIK.

Anyone else want to chime in here?

Yes, Colorado, with 90 day, else it's nearly a slam dunk in court on the C.R.S. specified appeal. Ask for whatever additional costs you may have incurred to achieve your goal under the law, including days off to attend court, etc.

RandallFlagg

Well, eBratt.
It's been 92 days. I would head over to the Sheriff's office and have a little face time before the weekend.
Issue or deny. By law.
They have the CCW printing system right there.
Please let us know what happens.

RandallFlagg

When it didn't show up in the mail yesterday

BTW, They are supposed to call you to come pick it up so they can take your picture for the permit. They won't send it in the mail.

I still can't believe that they're saying it's because someone's on their vacation. That's no excuse. YOU did all of the requirements. It's their turn.

JamesB

First time I applied in Denver it was over 300 days before I recieved a response.

Many phone calls, letters and e-mails between days 90 and 300.

As was posted in another thread... DPD is the largest gang in the state.

eBratt

The questions he had were about my satisfying the educational requirement. He has been very flexible on this and if I push I am assuming they will reject it. I'll just be patient and speak with him on Wednesday.

I do have another question. You have to go in to get your pic taken, no passport pics will do? I ask because I am currently having to work away from my home during the week and am rarely if ever home during business hours. This may be a kink in the process...

Ilikesa

Since9, is there a special court for him to go to, or is it civil? If someone wanted to push the issue, what would they have to do?

RandallFlagg

The questions he had were about my satisfying the educational requirement. He has been very flexible on this and if I push I am assuming they will reject it. I'll just be patient and speak with him on Wednesday.

I do have another question. You have to go in to get your pic taken, no passport pics will do? I ask because I am currently having to work away from my home during the week and am rarely if ever home during business hours. This may be a kink in the process...

Well for Adams County, I had to come in during normal business hours. 8AM-4-5PM-ish (I know they open at eight, not sure when they close).
You might mention this to them and see if they can accommodate. Remember, YOU fulfilled your requirements to get your CCW. THEY are the ones who dithered and are now scrambling because it's past the 90-day mark.

JamesB

If you have problems with your concealed handgun permit contact Rocky Mtn Gun Owners. They look for fights.

Well...

They look for fights that they can win. Usually they like the fights they can win easily. Not that I blame them for that, but some of us face an uphill battle and they are ...hesitant to join those.

ZackL

Polynikes, when did you get your permit, I've been hearing long times on all permits. Though it has been a few months since it's really been talked about so that may have changed.

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I'd like to hear from the OP whether he has heard anything new regarding his permit.
Last I knew, he was going to wait for the sheriff to return from vacation and have a visit with him on the matter.

Also, I'd like to know whether requesting an immediate judical review would help, and how one would go about doing that.

The statutes regarding permit issuance clearly state that the applicant must be either approved within 90 days or denied. If denied, he has the right to secondary review by the sheriff, or judical review. As that 90 day period has already elapsed (in violation of the Colorado Revised Statute) is this not a defacto denial and qualify for immediate judical review?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

eBratt

So here is the bit longer version of the story. My father was a federal firearms instructor and taught me shooting from the age of 10 or so how to shoot everything from his service Sig and hunting rifles to fun things he'd bring home like raid shotguns and UZIs. I consider myself very competent with a variety of firearms and while not formally trained, insist on acting as RSO when I go out shooting with a bunch of friends because irresponsible range behavior just bothers me to the core (as it should anyone).

Because of that history, I have never sought formal education. I am licensed/permitted in three states and consider myself a well-read individual on the laws of the states in which I carry (had a cop ask me if I was a lawyer during one of my few LEO encounters). The only formal training I ever did was for my Utah permit as it requires a very specific Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification (BCI) approved course and their specific documentation. My permit is less than 10 years old and so I approached the Sheriff to see if my valid UT permit along with a copy of the curriculum for the UT course would suffice for proof of training. After reviewing the curriculum, he said that he would accept that and to include a note saying that he said so in my application.

I submitted my application with another copy of my UT permit and a note reminding him of our conversation. When I asked how long it would take for a turnaround, I was told 90 days. I said I understood that by statute they had 90 days to issue or deny but was curious what the typical return timeframe is and was again told, "we have 90 days."

So I gave them 90 days. On day 91, I called and asked and was told the Sheriff was out of town. When I pressed about the 90 day issue, I was told that I didn't include a training certificate (technically true) and when I explained about what the Sheriff had said, I was told I'd have to talk to him specifically. When he got back, he had his secretary call me and specifically say he would not issue without a copy of the certificate (the original BCI course certificate goes to BCI in Utah as I recall).

So, I could press the 90 day issue but then I imagine it would simply be rejected. So rather than raise a fuss, be denied (some states ask if you've ever been denied a permit), and lose the application money, I'll play the game his way. I found someone who will do the training for a reasonable price and will provide the certificate.

The next battle will be whether I have to come in for the picture or pick it up in person as I am out of town during all business hours for my job.

Last edited:

RandallFlagg

Hmmm. This may change things for you.
Even so, if they were to deny because of the training issue, they'd STILL have to do it (By law) within the 90-day timeframe.

Polynikes

Polynikes, when did you get your permit, I've been hearing long times on all permits. Though it has been a few months since it's really been talked about so that may have changed.

I actually just got mine in April. The Sheriff's Office said it would be six to eight weeks when I applied, but I got it in four. The only downside to that was I'd ordered a Crossbreed holster at roughly the same time, figuring their four to six week shipping time would still beat my six to eight week wait for my permit. It didn't.
:lol:

RandallFlagg

I actually just got mine in April. The Sheriff's Office said it would be six to eight weeks when I applied, but I got it in four. The only downside to that was I'd ordered a Crossbreed holster at roughly the same time, figuring their four to six week shipping time would still beat my six to eight week wait for my permit. It didn't.
:lol:

How are you liking the Crossbreed? I love mine, and was thinking about ordering a second one for my backup -wondering how wearing 2 holsters would rank as far as useable.

since9

Campaign Veteran
So rather than raise a fuss, be denied (some states ask if you've ever been denied a permit), and lose the application money, I'll play the game his way. I found someone who will do the training for a reasonable price and will provide the certificate.

I think that's wise.

The next battle will be whether I have to come in for the picture or pick it up in person as I am out of town during all business hours for my job.

Don't know about the system used in your county, but here in El Paso county, they picture they take is digital and goes both into their database as well as being printed on your CC permit. Thus, a passport photo won't do.

They also want you in person with two other forms of ID as well as your fingerprint to ensure they're giving the permit to the right person i.e. the same one who applied.