• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The country's priority should be collecting the weapons from all the people?

Haz.

We all know by now that Muammar Gaddafi was captured and has been killed.

"Gaddafi made his way with bodyguards through trees. They hid in two concrete sewers but were spotted by the former rebels, who had Sirte surrounded. He had managed to survive the NATO strike - but Gaddafi would not survive his own people."

It was reported that he managed to survive the NATO strike but he never survived his own people who were obviously armed.

Now my question is who, and its obvious someone in NATO, suggested this as a priority?

"The country's priority should be collecting the weapons from all the young people and starting the process of building a new and better future for Libya."

Now that suggestion didn't take long to emerge. Its because people were armed that they were finally able to get rid of this despot.

I wonder what NATO or the interim government could possibly be afraid of?

Could it be this?

If, whoever gains power steps out of line in the future and becomes dictatorial and supressive, they will recieve the same fate as Gadafi and his goons?

The last thing the Lybian people should be doing is hand in their privately owned firearms!

Cheers, Haz.

Read More: <http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/world/cowering-tyrant-muammar-gaddafi-begged-for-mercy/story-e6freoox-1226173612563>

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
They have more than just firearms, they should protect all their arms.

From news reports, they have not protected all of them - many seem to be unaccounted for.

As much as it would be nice to wish that the country will instantly become a beacon of democracy in the region, it is worse than foolish to actually believe that will happen. There needs to be some cultural basis for the notion - look at the Emglish history of transition from tribal to feudal to limited democracy to see how long a road that can be for folks that were (from about 1300 on) generally disposed towards the notion. The original "Arab Spring" (1917-18) is a better example of what to expect in the short term, and was the impetus for the "new" colonial takeover that replaced the Turks with Europeans (again).

We need to watch and see just how far the religious zealots get in coopting if not taking over leadership, Keep them off balance if not out altogether and there might be a chance that the notion of democratic rule can begin to take root.

stay safe.

Daylen

From news reports, they have not protected all of them - many seem to be unaccounted for.
The "unaccounted for" arms are probably better protected than the rest. And I mean protected from higher government authority. Its a safe bet that if I was in their shoes I would be burying and hiding arms, leading others to say "oh no some are unaccounted for". NATO and the UN don't get involved if fighting doesn't break out, and fighting can't break out without arms. Therefore without a cache of arms people won't get help against tyranny.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
The "unaccounted for" arms are probably better protected than the rest. And I mean protected from higher government authority. Its a safe bet that if I was in their shoes I would be burying and hiding arms, leading others to say "oh no some are unaccounted for". NATO and the UN don't get involved if fighting doesn't break out, and fighting can't break out without arms. Therefore without a cache of arms people won't get help against tyranny.

I'm not all that sure about NATO, but if the UN is sending troops I can pretty much guarantee that they will not be protecting innocent folks caught in the middle of conflicting groups. But those blue helmets are good for identifying where rape is most likely to occur and where food meant for relief activities will be diverted at least as fast as by the former dictators/warlords.

Cynical? Jaded? Me? Bope! I have a very positive outlook on the situation. Yep! Very positive the UN will screw the locals worse than the former bad guys.

stay safe.

Daylen

I'm not all that sure about NATO, but if the UN is sending troops I can pretty much guarantee that they will not be protecting innocent folks caught in the middle of conflicting groups. But those blue helmets are good for identifying where rape is most likely to occur and where food meant for relief activities will be diverted at least as fast as by the former dictators/warlords.

Cynical? Jaded? Me? Bope! I have a very positive outlook on the situation. Yep! Very positive the UN will screw the locals worse than the former bad guys.

stay safe.

And where disease vectors will come from! Not sure if you heard or remember, but Hati had problems with the UN bringing disease after the quake.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Now my question is who, and its obvious someone in NATO, suggested this as a priority?

This was echoed by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on the MSNBC Evening News with Brian Williams on Friday, October 21, 2011. "Ok, children you've managed to oust your dictator, and good for you. Now let's please put your toys away so we can move on to control the new government without armed intervention in case you don't like it..."

Ok, that wasn't her quote. That's merely what I read between the lines. Her quote was something closer to "Our next priority is reducing the number of arms in everyone's hands."

The last thing the Lybian people should be doing is hand in their privately owned firearms!

I strongly agree. I suggest Mrs. Clinton go review our own Constitution, her oath of office, and her State Department's charter. She's apparently unfamiliar with any of them.

okboomer

Especially since her eye is on the Presidency ... deny it all she wants, I would bet my last (half) dollar that was her price for withdrawing from the last Primary race against the golden child ... er ... occupant.

Alexcabbie

Well, isn't this a classic?

Where would you feel oh so much better if you had a firearm: Southeast D.C, or North Arlington, VA? And yet where do the antis want to keep honest folks from having firearms?

The religious nutbars who want to take over Libya will no doubt welcome any assitance NATO, the UN, or the USA can provide in forcibly disarming the populace.

Once that has been accomplished, they can go about (among other things) raping any female they like and then shut her up by stoning her for "adultery".

Sez me, we ought to air-drop gobs of HiPoint carbines and pistols all over the country and give the common folk the same means of defense from their own government as we have.

Liberating a country is different from conquest. We disarmed the Germans and the Japanese after WWII. We did NOT disarm the French, and what is more I don't think they would have stood for it; and rightly so.

Sez me, ARM EVERY SINGLE LIBYAN to the teeth and see if the majority will put up with the Koran-soused madmen who would rule them.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Liberating a country is different from conquest. We disarmed the Germans and the Japanese after WWII. We did NOT disarm the French, and what is more I don't think they would have stood for it; and rightly so.

Outstanding point. Time to write my Congressman on the slim chance he might be able to do something about it.

Daylen

Sez me, ARM EVERY SINGLE LIBYAN to the teeth and see if the majority will put up with the Koran-soused madmen who would rule them.

oh they likely will at some level, at least regional, but at least it will be their choice.

MilProGuy

I suggest Mrs. Clinton go review our own Constitution, her oath of office, and her State Department's charter. She's apparently unfamiliar with any of them.

I'd proffer that she is already familiar with them...but chooses to think like so many other Washington D.C. liberal elitists. (i.e., that she is above such things)

Last edited: