• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who carries extra magazines? And how?

Metalhead47

Picked up a little kydex dual mag holder the other day to carry a couple of "slightly lower capacity" mags to supplement "really low capacity" HiPoint (y'know, as opposed to "normal capacity" 18 or 19 round mags in most 9mm's:uhoh:). Got all geared up to head out today, then just felt kinda goofy, like the "everyone's staring at you" feeling of going out with a tactical drop-leg or something (not trying to start that debate, I'd just feel weird doing it).

So I'm wondering, who here regularly carries extra mags just for running around town?

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Picked up a little kydex dual mag holder the other day to carry a couple of "slightly lower capacity" mags to supplement "really low capacity" HiPoint (y'know, as opposed to "normal capacity" 18 or 19 round mags in most 9mm's:uhoh:). Got all geared up to head out today, then just felt kinda goofy, like the "everyone's staring at you" feeling of going out with a tactical drop-leg or something (not trying to start that debate, I'd just feel weird doing it).

So I'm wondering, who here regularly carries extra mags just for running around town?

I personally usually do not carry extra mags. Sometimes if I go to a big event in say, down town Seattle I might have an extra mag with me. When I do carry an extra mag, the mag is usually CC and my firearm is OC.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I always carry extra magazines and always concealed though my weapon will be concealed or open carry when I feel the need.

The reasoning behind carrying extra magazines is not only to have extra ammunition but more importantly if a malfunction occurred you can be back in action with in a few seconds.

My primary carry is a XD SubCompact 40 S&W that holds 9 rounds so an extra 2 mags bring the total of 27.

Last edited:

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Correct. You could walk around with a slung ak and twice your weight in drum mags and it would be perfectly legal. As to being wise or actually possible, thats for another thread.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree and feel it would not be hard for a prosecutor to get a conviction if someone was to do this.

RCW 9.41.270
Weapons apparently capable of producing bodily harm — Unlawful carrying or handling — Penalty — Exceptions.

(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, exhibit, display, or draw any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons.

Last edited:

Metalhead47

I disagree and feel it would not be hard for a prosecutor to get a conviction if someone was to do this.

Uh huh. And maybe said person is simply carrying their shooting gear from their vehicle to the shooting pit which is a little ways away. Without any other context (and I did not give any), the act is not unlawful.

Vitaeus

guys and gals I am noticing a trend to split hairs, no offense to any follic'ly challenged folks, in the replies to folks lately. This is, in my opinion, lowering the useful amount of information being provided and discussed here. That said I have been enjoying the lively discussions of Open Carry that have been occurring lately, just getting corcerned over the tone and the slant.

Stay safe

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

Uh huh. And maybe said person is simply carrying their shooting gear from their vehicle to the shooting pit which is a little ways away. Without any other context (and I did not give any), the act is not unlawful.

Metalhead47 I was responding to what you posted and I quote "You could walk around with a slung ak and twice your weight in drum mags and it would be perfectly legal." and now you want to make it something totally different.

I am sure the majority here remember Josh and his case in Vancouver and went through the cost and being found guilty for open carrying for violation RCW 9.41.270 to include lost his first appeal and with no advancing of it for over a year now.
How about the other man (forgot his name, sorry) that plead out instead of going to trial over what a violation of RCW 9.41.270.
Go ahead with the attitude of pushing the envelope of this RCW and see where it gets you or those who carry in Washington State.

Suggesting "You could walk around with a slung ak and twice your weight in drum mags and it would be perfectly legal."
is simply irresponsible.
Do we need to take another look at State v Spencer?

FMCDH

guys and gals I am noticing a trend to split hairs, no offense to any follic'ly challenged folks, in the replies to folks lately. This is, in my opinion, lowering the useful amount of information being provided and discussed here. That said I have been enjoying the lively discussions of Open Carry that have been occurring lately, just getting corcerned over the tone and the slant.

Stay safe

Your not wrong, it seems to come and go in waves.

I am convinced the members of this forum are, by and large, subject to the equivalent of an E-PMS cycle. ;)

Its especially important to have the "thick skin add-on" during this time, or just keep your head down and let it pass. :D

Metalhead47

Metalhead47 I was responding to what you posted and I quote "You could walk around with a slung ak and twice your weight in drum mags and it would be perfectly legal." and now you want to make it something totally different.

I am sure the majority here remember Josh and his case in Vancouver and went through the cost and being found guilty for open carrying for violation RCW 9.41.270 to include lost his first appeal and with no advancing of it for over a year now.
How about the other man (forgot his name, sorry) that plead out instead of going to trial over what a violation of RCW 9.41.270.
Go ahead with the attitude of pushing the envelope of this RCW and see where it gets you or those who carry in Washington State.

Suggesting "You could walk around with a slung ak and twice your weight in drum mags and it would be perfectly legal."
is simply irresponsible.
Do we need to take another look at State v Spencer?

Seriously dave? Get over yourself. FMCDH is right, you're E-PMSing or something. For anyone NOT on the E-rag, my comment was obviously mean to be tongue in cheek, hyperbole. No where in the RCW's does it limit how many rounds one may carry, my comment was meant to reflect that. Now can we get back to discussing what I ACTUALLY asked about without another thread turning into a train wreck please??

ETA: In reality, such act would actually be self-limiting. I doubt there's anyone on this forum who could even get past their own front door carrying twice their body weight of ANYTHING. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

golddigger14s

Activist Member
No extra mags (clips, ammo despensing devices, or etc.), if the 17 in the gun are not enough then I'm in the wrong place in the first place.

Last edited:

FMCDH

No extra mags, if the 17 in the gun are not enough then I'm in the wrong place in the first place.

Hmm...

As BigDave pointed out above, an extra mag isn't always about the number of rounds, but the ability to clear a malfunction that may be mag related, in a timely manner.

Sometimes that may mean simply stripping the current mag fast and inserting a new one.

Just a thought.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
my comment was obviously mean to be tongue in cheek, hyperbole. No where in the RCW's does it limit how many rounds one may carry, my comment was meant to reflect that.

You took it the route it went for making such a stupid comment but yet again you try and twist and turn what you originally stated
Originally Posted by Metalhead47 View Post
Correct. You could walk around with a slung ak and twice your weight in drum mags and it would be perfectly legal. As to being wise or actually possible, thats for another thread.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you do not want someone to challenge your stupid comment then don't post it and take your midol and tomorrow will be a better day for you.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I RARELY carry an extra source of ammo. I am not a cop needing to put two in his chest and six in his back. I promise you that if I am shooting in self-defense, I am ALSO doing my best to get the hell out of there. I am far more likely to have a concealed BUG than I am to have an extra magazine for the primary. I am also rarely far from my vehicle, and there's no telling what's in there...

Metalhead47

You took it the route it went for making such a stupid comment but yet again you try and twist and turn what you originally stated

If you do not want someone to challenge your stupid comment then don't post it and take your midol and tomorrow will be a better day for you.

Geeze who lit the fuse on your tampon today? Bugger off and go find some other thread to derail. My comment was witty and amusing, if you didn't like it you could have simply chosen not to respond. Off with you now, go back to heckling that poor newbie Ruger guy.

p85-GSXwheelman

HAHAHA! "E-tampon....E-pms"!! EPMS makes AR's right?? LOL!

WOW! thats all I can say about some of the stuff in this thread. havent been on here in a few days. But to address the original question first, for me personally its one in the mag well, 2 extras on me, and like that one guy said....who knows whats in my vehicle?! :) so that brings my total to 46+. I OC mostly depending one where im going, but im licensed for CC so I have an option, everyone's different.....do what feels right to you.

Im not trying to act like Im "all-knowing" or get people mad.....its all my opinion and how I feel I should be prepared. IDK who said what....im not gunna waste my time looking, but on the other end of the spectrum... omg.... using a malfunction as a valid reason to carry extra magazines? really? working the slide on a stovepipe, etc does the same thing while allowing you to remain behind cover without potentially moving around to grab another mag. But whatever I guess.

Also, someone expressed that theres no point in carrying extra mags because theyd be "getting outta there as fast as possible"? makes sense in some situations, yes....but doesnt really seem like you're accounting for ANY circumstance that could take place. like: yer pinned down with very little cover...no way out except past the threat? maybe someone close to you is captive or in harms way? im not gunna go on and on.... but for me personally, id rather have 46 chances, than a measly 16. haha (although, I admit... in most cases you shouldnt even need more than 1-3 rounds)

hope everyone has a good day.