• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oregon, Idaho better than WA on gun rights, says Guns & Ammo

Dave Workman

Top states for gun rights: Oregon, Idaho beat Washington

Guns & Ammo magazine yesterday posted an on-line rating of where the states stand on gun rights, and surprisingly Washington, where well-financed anti-gunners complain that the laws need to be tightened, is in the bottom third, while Oregon and Idaho are ranked No. 29 and 30, respectively.

http://www.examiner.com/article/top-states-for-gun-rights-oregon-idaho-beat-washington

Let's hear it: We're NOT Number One! We're NOT Number One! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Alpine

For right to carry WA got ranked below Texas and Florida even though both of those states ban open carry and WA doesn't have a lot more places where people can't CC....

I'm thinking this list is partly BS and has some added bias of "blue states low, red states high" thrown in.

EMNofSeattle

For right to carry WA got ranked below Texas and Florida even though both of those states ban open carry and WA doesn't have a lot more places where people can't CC....

I'm thinking this list is partly BS and has some added bias of "blue states low, red states high" thrown in.

Exactly what I was thinking, I need to review the criteria, I'll bet WAs kinda sorta not really pistol registry and machine gun ban were the reasons. Because we have better carry rights then oregon, more complete preemption, etc. With the one exception that in oregon you can open carry at age 18

Idaho I do believe the laws are better slightly then in WA

bebop4one

Ah damn you beat me to posting this! I agree with you guys that I think this list is a crock of ____ . How are we ranked so low and what does "Open carry is legal, with certain exceptions" mean? Our open carry laws are some of the best in the nation. Also, I should point out that I paid $52.50 for my CPL and not $36 (I WISH!). Any other thoughts on this? The article doesn't mention Initiative 594 but maybe that's another reason?

EMNofSeattle

Ah damn you beat me to posting this! I agree with you guys that I think this list is a crock of ____ . How are we ranked so low and what does "Open carry is legal, with certain exceptions" mean? Our open carry laws are some of the best in the nation. Also, I should point out that I paid $52.50 for my CPL and not $36 (I WISH!). Any other thoughts on this? The article doesn't mention Initiative 594 but maybe that's another reason?

36 is the fee in state law, and counties are authorized to add the fee of running the background check on top of that.

Alpine

I agree with you guys. Given the ban on full autos and the registry I can understand a low overall ranking, and maybe a low miscellaneous ranking, but they specifically lowered WA' s "right to carry" sub category below states that ban OC. So yeah, I'd say this list is crap.

Last edited:

Alpine

He's talking about the WA handgun registry that is severely backlogued to the point of months or years and that only gets data from licensed dealers so it can be circumvented by private sales.

EMNofSeattle

I'm missing the reference here.

Dept of Licensing, if you buy a handgun from a WA FFL the dealer fills a WA pistol purchase application, there's three copies, one kept by the dealer, one sent to the sheriff of your county of residence (this one is destroyed) and then one goes to Dept of Licensing, this was originally for the purposes of auditing the dealer then sometime in the late 90s dept of licensing bought a computer and started scanning these forms into it, then made it a searchable database by LE

gsx1138

I completely agree. Not to mention the training hoops that Texans must go through to get their CHL that costs them 5 times as much as the WA CPL does. There is no way possible that anyone can say Texas is better for carrying a firearm in public than Washington is.

Having just returned from a weekend in Portland, OR, I disagree with Oregon ranked above WA as well.

For all the chest beating Texas gun laws aren't that great. They talk a lot but don't have much to show for it. I agree with your sentiment on Oregon.

()pen(arry

Dept of Licensing, if you buy a handgun from a WA FFL the dealer fills a WA pistol purchase application, there's three copies, one kept by the dealer, one sent to the sheriff of your county of residence (this one is destroyed) and then one goes to Dept of Licensing, this was originally for the purposes of auditing the dealer then sometime in the late 90s dept of licensing bought a computer and started scanning these forms into it, then made it a searchable database by LE

Interesting. Sounds like I need to make friends with an Oregon FFL and make some weekend trips.

()pen(arry

How is having a firearm delivered to the FFL of my choice a violation of federal law?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I think I see the misunderstanding now. I was not proposing to purchase from someone else and receive it from the Oregon FFL. That would, indeed, be illegal. I was proposing to purchase from the Oregon FFL, who would, as an FFL, be able to acquire from wherever necessary in order to sell to me. That is not illegal.

madicarus

For right to carry WA got ranked below Texas

In their "right to carry" category, WA & TX both got 7 out of 10 points. Even though you cant oc a modern pistol in TX and the WA cpl has less requirements, and cheaper, to get than TX, we have better state preemption on carrying so how did they both rank the same? This makes the rest look questionable.

EMNofSeattle

I think I see the misunderstanding now. I was not proposing to purchase from someone else and receive it from the Oregon FFL. That would, indeed, be illegal. I was proposing to purchase from the Oregon FFL, who would, as an FFL, be able to acquire from wherever necessary in order to sell to me. That is not illegal.

Only an FFL in WA can legally sell to you. And an FFL in WA is required to have a state license and do the pistol purchase application.

As SVG pointed out, at least for now, you can legally purchase from a private party and would not be required to fill out the PPA.