• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

McDonnell finalizes CC and OC in State Forests, effective 7/7/11

paramedic70002

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=6750

Virginia: Governor McDonnell Confirms Changes to Allow Lawful Carry of a Firearm in State Forests!

Sunday, May 08, 2011

On May 6, Governor Robert F. McDonnell approved changes to the Virginia Department of Forestry’s Virginia State Forest Regulation 4VAC10-30-170. The approved changes went into immediate effect.

The changes will permit law-abiding Virginians to carry a firearm in State Forests. These changes now allow for both the lawful carrying of concealed firearms by those who possess a concealed carry permit, as well as open carrying for anyone in lawful possession of a firearm.

The new language to the Administrative Code is below:

4VAC10-30-170. Explosives, firearms, etc.

No person shall bring into or have in any forest any explosive or explosive substance. This regulation shall not apply to the lawful carrying of firearms and firearm ammunition.

Please contact Governor McDonnell by e-mail and thank him for improving Virginia’s regulatory environment for lawful firearm owners!

t33j

Time to cross of yet another line item from the OC cards. I think I've seen 4 or 5 become irrelevant in the time that I've been handing them out.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Time to cross of yet another line item from the OC cards. I think I've seen 4 or 5 become irrelevant in the time that I've been handing them out.

What GS said TJ.

It's time for Bob to step up to the plate and knock all the state agencies out of the game.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I hope so too Grape...because Philip just sent out an alert that said it was.

Hmmmm...Philip says the official word is it will be effective soon and that another gun rights group is saying it's effective now.

I'll go with Philip.

2a4all

Hmmmm...Philip says the official word is it will be effective soon and that another gun rights group is saying it's effective now.

I'll go with Philip.

And the word, according to Phillip is: "... the effective date for open and concealed carry in State Forests is July 7th, 2011. I would not encourage you to assume that the new regulation is effective immediately."

I seem to recall a similar directive that affected OC/CC while on DGIF WMAs, but I can't find any reference. Does anyone else remember this?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
How many public comment periods do they need? Once more into the breach!

http://townhall.virginia.gov/L/viewstage.cfm?stageid=5828

Final Stage
Changes to Text No changes have been made to the text since the proposed stage was last published in the Register.
Exempt from APA No, this stage/action is subject to article 2 of the Administrative Process Act and the standard executive branch review process.
DPB Review Submitted on 4/4/2011

Review Completed: 4/18/2011 DPB's policy memo is "Governor's Confidential Working Papers"
Secretary Review Review Completed: 4/22/2011

Result: Approved

Governor's Review Review Completed: 5/6/2011

Result: Approved

Virginia Registrar Submitted on 5/9/2011

The Virginia Register of Regulations

Will be published on 6/6/2011 Volume: 27 Issue: 20
Final Adoption Period A public comment forum will open on 6/6/2011 and remain open through 7/6/2011
Effective Date 7/7/2011

According to ^^ it aint final till it's final, and that seems to depend on public comments. Mark your calendars for the day to start submitting comments.

stay safe.

Folks, we need to get the comments in to them as soon as they open the comment period.

Jonesy

This does not make it legal to carry in National Forrests like George Wahington National Forrest, right? We are still stuck with only being able to carry there during hunting season? Is this on the agenda to get fixed?

t33j

This does not make it legal to carry in National Forrests like George Wahington National Forrest, right? We are still stuck with only being able to carry there during hunting season? Is this on the agenda to get fixed?

Correct.

I don't know but it should be. National Forests definitely make up the majority of national lands in VA, and probably make up the majority of all park/forest/WMA lands in VA.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Correct.

I don't know but it should be. National Forests definitely make up the majority of national lands in VA, and probably make up the majority of all park/forest/WMA lands in VA.

I'm afraid that's a good deal in the future. I was talking to Philip about WMA's tonight and that's on the agenda....Federal land takes a little more leverage though.

Jonesy

I'm afraid that's a good deal in the future. I was talking to Philip about WMA's tonight and that's on the agenda....Federal land takes a little more leverage though.

It is ridiculous that we can carry in a National Park in Virginia at any time, but only during hunting season in a National Forrest in Virginia. We need a common standard for the whole state.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Pretty sure we're still dealing with DGIF though. :banghead:

I'm not sure we've even started dealing with DGIF TJ. They own the WMA's and because of the multistate hunting agreement which includes the National Forests, it's going to be a tough fight to change them.

After that, we can go after National Forests but that will be akin to changing the National Parks and I don't see a Credit Card bill to attach it to.