• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Poll: vote to see if you agree with man's decsion to save dog

Did the guy do the right thing

• Yes, most certainly

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • No, that was horrible

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I could see it being appropriate

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Can't decide - need more info on dog

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Cant' decide - need more info on wife

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Can't answer - wife is watching

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

Fallschirjmäger

"Rosie, you know which way to swim to get to shore, right?"
"Woof!"
"No, you swim towards the beach."
"Woof!"
"Nevermind, I'll take you there. Sheryl, honey, the boat's not going to sink, there's no storm, you're not going to drown, and the boat's not on fire, can you hold on a sec while I take Poochie to land?"
"Sure, Honey, take our baby to safety."
"Okay, sweetums, I'll be back in ten minutes."

My wife would have INSISTED I take the mutt before her.

stealthyeliminator

If it was a matter of choosing one life over the other, I'd say saving the wife would have been the moral choice. Doesn't sound like that was the case, though. The story doesn't have much information in it, but does say something about the wife being snagged on something. I certain wouldn't want to leave my wife snagged on something out in the ocean. That's the only part of the story that concerns me. The rest is pretty much a matter of giving the man the benefit of the doubt, since there is so little real information. It is pretty funny though, the way the story is spun, which I guess is the point :)

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
There's not enough information in the article to make a reasoned decision, and I'm just not going to let some rabble-rouser ask a question that has nothing to do with the subject being polled.

Unless the OP is practicing some new-found skills with an eye on getting the anti-rights folks to answer questions that have nothing to do with the subject he polls them on just so he can slant the responses, I see no reason for even the OP to be pulling a stunt like this.

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
There's not enough information in the article to make a reasoned decision, and I'm just not going to let some rabble-rouser ask a question that has nothing to do with the subject being polled.

Unless the OP is practicing some new-found skills with an eye on getting the anti-rights folks to answer questions that have nothing to do with the subject he polls them on just so he can slant the responses, I see no reason for even the OP to be pulling a stunt like this.

stay safe.

So which one did you vote for? You can vote based on the information provided if you wish - we all make decisions based ion incomplete information every day.

"Anti-rights" folks? Hilarious comment ...

I guess when one has no actual argument, the response is a personal attack. Kudos to you sir, and kudos again.

many people have voted ... you claiming that they are "anti-rights" of some nature? Pleeease.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
So which one did you vote for? You can vote based on the information provided if you wish - we all make decisions based ion incomplete information every day.

"Anti-rights" folks? Hilarious comment ...

I guess when one has no actual argument, the response is a personal attack. Kudos to you sir, and kudos again.

many people have voted ... you claiming that they are "anti-rights" of some nature? Pleeease.

Maybe you need to do a better job interpreting what you read. I did not say that folks here on OCDO voting on the poll were "anti-rights." I suggested that the OP was using the same techniques/tactics as some of the anti-rights folks to set up folks to answer questions that have nothing to do with the subject of the poll just so they can then slant the responses. Of the many thigs up with which I will not put, this is one.

I also said that I saw no reason for even the OP to be pulling a stunt like that. Had I desired to mount a personal attack on the OP, there would be no doubt that such a personal attack was being mounted. Had I desired to mount a personal attack on the readers of the post, I am fairly certain there would be no question whether or not I was doing so.

As for which response(s) I might have chosen - is not my vote sacrosanct and not open to public discusssion? However, to satisfy your morbid curiosity, I indicated that I would need more information about both the dog and the wife before deciding if the guy did "the right thing" - only because there was no option for indicating a need to know how the "right thing" would be defined.

Curmudgeon? Better you use my full title: Grand Exalted Grand High Muckety Muck Pooba Curmudgeon Emeritus.

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Maybe you need to do a better job interpreting what you read. I did not say that folks here on OCDO voting on the poll were "anti-rights." I suggested that the OP was using the same techniques/tactics as some of the anti-rights folks to set up folks to answer questions that have nothing to do with the subject of the poll just so they can then slant the responses. Of the many thigs up with which I will not put, this is one.

I also said that I saw no reason for even the OP to be pulling a stunt like that. Had I desired to mount a personal attack on the OP, there would be no doubt that such a personal attack was being mounted. Had I desired to mount a personal attack on the readers of the post, I am fairly certain there would be no question whether or not I was doing so.

As for which response(s) I might have chosen - is not my vote sacrosanct and not open to public discusssion? However, to satisfy your morbid curiosity, I indicated that I would need more information about both the dog and the wife before deciding if the guy did "the right thing" - only because there was no option for indicating a need to know how the "right thing" would be defined.

Curmudgeon? Better you use my full title: Grand Exalted Grand High Muckety Muck Pooba Curmudgeon Emeritus.

stay safe.

aye aye "Grand Exalted Grand High Muckety Muck Pooba Curmudgeon Emeritus" matey ! I like that title.