• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns no longer welcomed at Starbucks

autosurgeon

You know I saw this coming as some gun rights activists just cannot leave well enough alone. Starbucks never was pro gun they were neutral. However both the pro gun people and the antigun people had to put them in the unfortunate place of being in the middle of the issue.

The fact is if the pro gun people would have just gone to Starbucks when they wanted Starbucks OC or CC whatever and not made a big deal about the issue and just been happy that they were left alone I really doubt this would have happened.

However people just had to push their agenda on private property even though Starbucks made it clear they wanted no part of this. I blame the pro gun people for reacting to every move of the anti as this is what I feel tipped the balance.

And further I think the anti is smarter than many of us give them credit. They knew that their boycott would not affect Starbucks at all but that the pro gun community would react with a demonstration at Starbucks and that that this would irritate the CEO and likely lead to this result.

We are our own worst enemy as we cannot seem to switch gears from what works in public place to what works in a private business.

This is simply my opinion and not any organizations stance that I am aware of.

Stay informed about MOC events in your area http://miopencarry.org/updates

Dougcr

You know I saw this coming as some gun rights activists just cannot leave well enough alone. Starbucks never was pro gun they were neutral. However both the pro gun people and the antigun people had to put them in the unfortunate place of being in the middle of the issue.

The fact is if the pro gun people would have just gone to Starbucks when they wanted Starbucks OC or CC whatever and not made a big deal about the issue and just been happy that they were left alone I really doubt this would have happened.

However people just had to push their agenda on private property even though Starbucks made it clear they wanted no part of this. I blame the pro gun people for reacting to every move of the anti as this is what I feel tipped the balance.

And further I think the anti is smarter than many of us give them credit. They knew that their boycott would not affect Starbucks at all but that the pro gun community would react with a demonstration at Starbucks and that that this would irritate the CEO and likely lead to this result.

We are our own worst enemy as we cannot seem to switch gears from what works in public place to what works in a private business.

I totally agree.

Evil Creamsicle

I'm not really even pissed though honestly, and I'll probably still go there.

They are still respecting our rights, in spite of the fact that they may not like guns. They aren't saying we can't carry, on the contrary they have a company-wide policy not to kick us out and to serve us as normal. All they've pretty much said is that they don't want demonstrations and stuff going on, and they don't want their stores used as a political battleground which, frankly, I understand.

This does not reflect a change in their stance and policy, merely a clarification of same. And as long as they will treat me the same as any other customer regardless of OC, which seems to be their official company policy, I'll keep buying pumpkin spice lattes.

FreeInAZ

Screw Starbucks! A legal activity is a legal activity correct? Now I respect their right to private property rights, but really what next? Maybe a sign that says they don't want women in their stores during their menstrual cycle because they maybe emotional? Guns are a tool of defense. Nothing more. If they trully follow state laws there should have been no issues, correct?

I agree we are our own worst enemies. Rights are rights! Period! No middle of the road. Either you support all gun (civil) rights, or you really support none of them. Pretty simple aye?

Michigander

As freeinaz has no doubt noticed, more anti gun policies are merely evidence that OCing has come a long enough way to get enough attention to really irritate anti gun people. This is a reflection of that, even if not a hefty reflection on starbucks, which has been more than good to us in years past.

In terms of regular coffee, they kind of suck anyway, so I don't consider it some huge loss, regardless of what they change their policy to. If only we could get Pete's to turn pro gun, then open a bunch of locations here. :D

Raggs

+1
Not going to effect me personally as I don't drink coffee lattes cappuccino or other drinks they have. And I agree that Starbucks hand was pushed because whether or not they wanted to stay neutral they were forced to make a decision.

FreeInAZ

My understanding is McDonald's coffee has been getting better with time. Hope those who do OC and drink coffee go there instead. I don't drink coffee, but I have spent money at starbucks in the past to support them. NO LONGER! I respect their private property rights to DISRESPECT MY CIVIL RIGHTS. :thumbdown:

jfmi

I agree, in theory.

It's only natural to feel threatened at the prospect of losing something and wanting to push back. It's not just guns. Just because a few vocal people don't like something, it gets banned/outlawed because politicians pander to them. Maybe Starbucks was a miscalculation but regardless we shouldn't sit back and watch our rights get eroded because a few people don't like guns.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

I don't like "neutrals" .... show yourself!!!!!

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I don't really care. I rarely drink coffee. When I do, it's usually a carmel mocha from Micky D's. I do think Starbuck's CEO may have just bit his own ass, but that's yet to be seen.

91 whiskey

Were you guys reading the same letter I was? I took it more as a hey we don't really care what you do or don't do but please take the political debate somewhere else type of thing.

Raggs

Were you guys reading the same letter I was? I took it more as a hey we don't really care what you do or don't do but please take the political debate somewhere else type of thing.

Starbucks says guns are no longer welcome in its cafes, though it is stopping short of an outright ban on firearms.

91 whiskey

Alright then. Whatever the case I'm still going to carry on as normal. I don't make it a point to go in to starbucks but if I need caffeine and there happens to be a store close by I'll go in. If I'm going to go some place for coffee I do usually prefer Biggby though.:)

FreeInAZ

Well the world would be a much nicer place if people tried to be a little "classier". But, in our dumbed down world, I'll settle for not running me down while they are driving & texting as I dash for my life across the street.
:(

Starbuck's is not the place for most here anyway. The majority of their patrons are lonely anti-social people who go there to be lonely in a large group of lonely anti-social people. :eek:There have been a few articles on this subject recently in the news. Needless to say you SMELLSLIKEMICHIGAN don't fit their mold. ;)

ETA - http://www.womansday.com/food-recipes/9-things-you-didnt-know-about-starbucks-110283

FUQ - " The small tables are circular so there don't seem to be any empty seats and costumers dining alone don't feel-or appear-lonely."

Guess lots of the "lonely people" belong at: Starbuck's :(
www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0gpPs4flw8

Last edited: