• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blue Byline on Open Carry of Firearms (Tacoma News Tribune) "Call 911"

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran

Bucks Gun Shop

Interesting... If we have federal, state, and local police tripping over one another in our urban areas, how do things like this ever happen???

According to a police report, at 8:15 p.m. on April 18th, the two men—both in their late-teens—were waiting at a bus stop at 22nd and E Jefferson when a group of eight teenagers approached them and asked "if they were claiming" or affiliated with a gang.

When one of the victims told the group of teens "we don't bang," one of the suspects yelled "Deuce-Eight" and group descended on the victims.

The group of suspects punched and kicked the two men, and stole a wallet and cell phone during the attack.

The suspects fled the scene before police arrived.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
well written comment, gogo

Thank you. There are several good comments refuting the biased point of view of this particular officer. I have read this blog since it appeared a couple of months ago and I have found that this officer believes that he is a 1st class citizen with all of his unalienable rights and that regular citizens are 2nd class citizens with only privileged rights.

I have invited him to the OC 2nd Saturday and shared my picture with AG McKenna. As I have said in the past, I choose to OC my firearm after 20 years of hiding it. I have nothing to hide, yet I will not give up my 1st, 2nd, 4th or 5th Amendment rights. I will continue to challenge those who are biased and ignorant to join us and to have an opened mind to the rights of man. Like NavyLT, BigDave and now this officer I have a personal challenge extended to them.

xxx.jakk.xxx

Why criminal carry or as some call it, conceal carry, a firearm wedged up against your side poking you when it is so much more comfortable to open carry.

I agree with that. I'm 5'11", 135lbs. How am I supposed to comfortably conceal a firearm without it being noticeable?

Also, @GoGo,
He seems to be completely ignoring you. I hope he decides to actually engage you in conversation since I doubt he would meet the Open Carriers that he despises face to face. But who knows, he may prove to be a more open minded person and actually challenge his bigoted perception of Open Carriers and join y'all.

amlevin

He also equates us to racists.....

By pointing out that that logic could be also applied to someone else exercising HIS rights?

But such logic could also be applied to the racist who exercises his right to free speech by standing on a street corner yelling racial epithets at passersby who don't share his skin color.

The only "equating" I saw in the statement was in the exercising of rights. What if he had used the word "Abortionist" or "Religious Nut"? Worse yet, "Liberals".

DoomGoober

I would defend the right of a racist to stand on a corner handing out racist literature, just as I would defend the right of someone to open carry.

We have many rights that upset some people. It is exactly these rights that must most carefully be understood and defended.

hermannr

Thank you GoGo, I added my 2cents too. It seemed strange to me that no-one brought up the clear "rights" in Article 1 section 7, and Article 1 section 24, in our Washington state Constitution. There is nothing ambigous in those two articles that they can argue away.

I also reminded him, Rosa Parks made a lot of people "uncomfortable" back in the 60's when she choose to sit in the front of the bus.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Thank you GoGo, I added my 2cents too. It seemed strange to me that no-one brought up the clear "rights" in Article 1 section 7, and Article 1 section 24, in our Washington state Constitution. There is nothing ambigous in those two articles that they can argue away.

I also reminded him, Rosa Parks made a lot of people "uncomfortable" back in the 60's when she choose to sit in the front of the bus.

Excellent job on your post as well. We will see if he takes me up on my offer.

Just Us

Maybe he will engage with people and expand his world by coming out!!
Just a 5% thought.

Brian O'Neill says:
May 26, 2011 at 7:03 pm
LB- you reference people like they are soulless pieces on a chess board, whose only course of action is to play out the role to which they were made. To you all cops are donut-eaters, politicians are corrupt, and victims like Crystal Brame are just names you can throw like darts on a board. Put the newspapers down and engage with people, buddy. Expand your world.

Read more: http://blog.thenewstribune.com/bluebyline/2011/05/25/a-question-of-rights/#ixzz1NljeSSGz

Last edited: