• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Stone-walled in Newington

CTEnthusiast

Hi everyone, glad I found this forum.

Has any else had issues with the permit process in Newington? I put my application in August and was told 12-16 weeks. It was denied in September by DPS as my fingerprints weren't clear enough. Fine, start over. Went and had them redone immediately. Now it's the first week in December and I've been checking the status every couple of weeks and the only response I get is "It's on the sergeants desk." I called yesterday and got, "It got moved to another sergeant, and were waiting for him to sign it."

Am I being stone-walled here? Does Newington have this reputation? It's quite frustrating that its taking this long.

Rich B

Everyone gets stonewalled. That is what they do.

You are asking the wrong questions to the wrong people. Stop talking to the local PD and call the SPBI instead.

860-685-8480

Ask for 'records'. Have your money order information ready.

Tell them you need to know the date your fingerprints were received and the date your national criminal history background check was sent back to the local issuing authority.

If the first date > 5 days or the second date > 1 week, let us know and we can explain how to appeal.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sounds like they are giving you the run around. I never gave my PD fingerprints, they are not mandatory. Nor did I pay them anything for a BR chk; they did one anyway.

Anyway, you may file an appeal. I'm sure Rich will provide some information about that specific town if he has any.

I filed my appeal in May ... my hearing is coming up soon. Quick huh?

CTEnthusiast

You are asking the wrong questions to the wrong people. Stop talking to the local PD and call the SPBI instead.

860-685-8480

Tell them you need to know the date your fingerprints were received and the date your national criminal history background check was sent back to the local issuing authority.

If the first date > 5 days or the second date > 1 week, let us know and we can explain how to appeal.

Thanks, it's most definitely longer than a week since they have been telling they received it and its been on the Sergeants desk since October. What would be the best way to go about it?

Rich B

Thanks, it's most definitely longer than a week since they have been telling they received it and its been on the Sergeants desk since October. What would be the best way to go about it?

If you want to appeal, you can find information here: http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/cwp/view.asp?a=1252&Q=254192&bfpeNav=|

You will want the second letter and you need to send the questionnaire in at the same time.

You should make sure you get your dates from SPBI for your letter and your records for your appeal.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

CTEnthusiast

860-685-8480

Planning on filing my appeal tomorrow. Is it worth letting the PD know ahead of time that Ill be filing an appeal?

Also, what is the money order for and how do I set that up? Post office?

Thanks again.

brk913

Planning on filing my appeal tomorrow. Is it worth letting the PD know ahead of time that Ill be filing an appeal?
Nope, don't bother, they will find out after you appeal when they receive notice from the Board

Also, what is the money order for and how do I set that up? Post office?
The MO number Rich is referring to is the number on the MO you made out to the DPS for $50 for the background check, if you paid by personal check they may be able to use that number as well.

davidmcbeth

Banned
The MO number Rich is referring to is the number on the MO you made out to the DPS for $50 for the background check, if you paid by personal check they may be able to use that number as well.

Is this mandatory??? Area of contention I think....

brk913

Is this mandatory??? Area of contention I think....
Is what mandatory? The fee? It is under dipute as you well know. Having the number from the MO or check you used if you did pay to submit to the background check just helps the SPBI look up your file, they can do it without it but it makes it easier for them to locate if you can provide that number.

Last edited:

Rich B

Nope, don't bother, they will find out after you appeal when they receive notice from the Board

This.