• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How Safe Are Our Schools?

anmut

Talk to your kids. I told my son that if there is a shooter in the school that they will lock him in the room but that he should disobey any order by the teacher and open or break a window and escape. Providing the gun fire is not coming from outside I told him to run the flock out of that school as fast as possible. Don't be a hero - just survive.

If that option is not available I told him to find a stabbing weapon and prepare to go on the offensive. He is versed enough to be able to run a firearm against a shooter if he could get it away from him.

After this talk I was suddenly saddened that I would even have to have this discussion with my son. What a sad state of affairs this country is in.

Last edited:

Pejerrey

If any school around here decides to have armed security guards, that would be the school my son will attend.

I was in a playground today, lots of toddlers... I felt very, very hopeless when I remembered the shootings.

Asking teachers to carry a gun and be prepared to use it is utopia again, that won't happen, they are usually wimps(joke).

How do we deal with all the roaming wackos that are potential murderers?
We need to deal with the insane minds that are around us.

anmut

If any school around here decides to have armed security guards, that would be the school my son will attend.

I was in a playground today, lots of toddlers... I felt very, very hopeless when I remembered the shootings.

Asking teachers to carry a gun and be prepared to use it is utopia again, that won't happen, they are usually wimps(joke).

How do we deal with all the roaming wackos that are potential murderers?
We need to deal with the insane minds that are around us.

So you would rather not have armed teachers because they're "wimps" when the bad guy comes to kill?

Smell that? Smells like... troll.

Pejerrey

Nah, I know a ton of teachers but none is willing to do it.
I think that a well trained security guard is way better than a expecting teachers to carry guns. I have 5 friends that are teachers or work for playgrounds and we have talked about this... No one in their networks feels comfortable carrying a gun around kids and even less to think in shooting somebody.
I've tried to explain the benefit in many ways but they just seem so fragile, specially the girls.

If there is any teacher that is willing to do it, good. But I also want an intimidating security guard with a .45 in my son's school. A visible deterrent.

Troll? Why are you seen leprachauns dude? I'm trying to help, no need to be rude.

Last edited:

carolina guy

Gun free school zones is just another sign of a failure of government.

Schools should be the exclusive jurisdiction of local governments at best, but we have gotten so far from things "Constitutional" it is just sad. If you ask most people which has more Constitutional "protection" an AR-15 or public schools, they will get it wrong.

This is why we home school.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Talk to your kids. I told my son that if there is a shooter in the school that they will lock him in the room but that he should disobey any order by the teacher and open or break a window and escape. Providing the gun fire is not coming from outside I told him to run the flock out of that school as fast as possible. Don't be a hero - just survive.

If that option is not available I told him to find a stabbing weapon and prepare to go on the offensive. He is versed enough to be able to run a firearm against a shooter if he could get it away from him.

After this talk I was suddenly saddened that I would even have to have this discussion with my son. What a sad state of affairs this country is in.

I have told several good conservtive school teachers I know being locked in a room makes them sitting ducks evacuate.

That there are objects that can be explained away as non weapons but but to good use. Baseball bats many, shop items and others to attack the shooter with, do not go down hiding in a corner or locked in a bathroom.

jpm84092

Are Wisconsin Teachers Really Different Than Utah Teachers?

I find it difficult to believe that WI teachers are all wimps. A week ago yesterday, the Utah Shooting Sports Council, OPSGEAR, and two independent instructors (including a certain Yellow Cat) teamed up and provided 200 Utah teachers with a basic defense of the classroom course that included the UT Concealed Firearm Permit Course. We had to turn people away and UT teachers are clamoring for a repeat of the course.

Yellow Cat Out-

Cap'n Nemo

How safe are our schools? Parents can sleep well at night knowing that when the parents aren't able to protect their children the school authorities are keeping them safe. Our children are afforded "state of the art" protection behind ignored and unenforced gun laws, security cameras, fragile glass unlocked doors, frightened teachers, weapons prohibited signs and lockdown drills. How much better can it get? (sarcasm). Ask any parent that lost a child at Sandy Hook Elementary what they now think of that kind of security. Invariably whenever the issue of having armed security in our schools surfaces the excuses for not doing so are. Armed police in schools will traumatize the children; Armed security is not fool proof: It is too costly. Any child beyond the age of four knows that a policeman with a gun is their friend. Ask any child what they would think about having a policeman walking the halls of their school and I will wager that the most common answer will be "I would feel safer" or "Then I wouldn't be afraid to go to school". It's time we stop infusing our paranoia’s into our children. They have an intelligence of their own. Would armed security be one hundred percent fool-proof? Of course not. The boasted security system at Newtown Connecticut wasn't too efficient was it? Of course having armed security in or around our schools will have a significant cost. The cost of putting armed security in all K-12 public schools is estimated at $2.5 billion dollars. Congress has just recently voted to allocate $9.7 billion dollars to the storm Sandy relief. Final allocation may reach $62 billion. We are spending $156 billion dollars a year on two fruitless wars. Has the government and school administration finally put the a value on the life of one child? What is that value? $2.5 billion dollars? Two of the most outspoken critics of armed school security, president Obama and David Gregory of Meet the Press send their children to a private school in Washington D.C. the school is named Sidwell Friends. It has eleven security personnel on it's payroll and housed on campus. In addition the Obama children have secret service agents watching their every move.

Last edited:

anmut

I find it difficult to believe that WI teachers are all wimps. A week ago yesterday, the Utah Shooting Sports Council, OPSGEAR, and two independent instructors (including a certain Yellow Cat) teamed up and provided 200 Utah teachers with a basic defense of the classroom course that included the UT Concealed Firearm Permit Course. We had to turn people away and UT teachers are clamoring for a repeat of the course.

Yellow Cat Out-

A couple weeks ago when I was picking up a rifle a the gun store I over heard the owner talking to a guy that was a teacher in the area (Spanish) and he was buying a pistol. Of course, he was male and obviously wasn't afraid of firearms. That makes him out to be about 1% of all overall teachers. Still - better than nothing.

anmut

How safe are our schools? Parents can sleep well at night knowing that when the parents aren't able to protect their children the school authorities are keeping them safe. Our children are afforded "state of the art" protection behind ignored and unenforced gun laws, security cameras, fragile glass unlocked doors, frightened teachers, weapons prohibited signs and lockdown drills. How much better can it get? (sarcasm). Ask any parent that lost a child at Sandy Hook Elementary what they now think of that kind of security. Invariably whenever the issue of having armed security in our schools surfaces the excuses for not doing so are. Armed police in schools will traumatize the children; Armed security is not fool proof: It is too costly. Any child beyond the age of four knows that a policeman with a gun is their friend. Ask any child what they would think about having a policeman walking the halls of their school and I will wager that the most common answer will be "I would feel safer" or "Then I wouldn't be afraid to go to school". It's time we stop infusing our paranoia’s into our children. They have an intelligence of their own. Would armed security be one hundred percent fool-proof? Of course not. The boasted security system at Newtown Connecticut wasn't too efficient was it? Of course having armed security in or around our schools will have a significant cost. The cost of putting armed security in all K-12 public schools is estimated at $2.5 billion dollars. Congress has just recently voted to allocate $9.7 billion dollars to the storm Sandy relief. Final allocation may reach $62 billion. We are spending $156 billion dollars a year on two fruitless wars. Has the government and school administration finally put the a value on the life of one child? What is that value? $2.5 billion dollars? Two of the most outspoken critics of armed school security, president Obama and David Gregory of Meet the Press send their children to a private school in Washington D.C. the school is named Sidwell Friends. It has eleven security personnel on it's payroll and housed on campus. In addition the Obama children have secret service agents watching their every move.

Well barring the elimination of every gun, knife and other weapon on the planet - arming the teachers or guards or SOMEONE in these gun free zones will at least give them a fighting chance.

However I believe that just the very public elimination of the Gun Free School Zone will send the message to the still-in-the-closet psychos. It may cause them enough worry about not being able to hit the high body count to just make them skip to the end of their plan, and shoot themselves at home.