• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on a Motorcycle

newell711

Ok i live in Northern WV and I travel to Ohio a lot. I need to know if you can OC on a motorcycle. I know you need a permit to carry in a vehicle, but since a cycle is open??????? I OC in WV on my bike without incident so just asking for some advice. thanks

CornfedinOhio

You can't OC in a motor vehicle unless you have a CC permit valid in Ohio. Once you get on a bike you are transporting a firearm and governed by transport laws. It must have the ammo and gun in separate compartments.

Last edited:

Hareuhal

You can't OC unless you have a CC permit valid in Ohio. Once you get on a bike you are transporting a firearm and governed by transport laws. It must have the ammo and gun in separate compartments.

Lets rephrase that so it doesn't confuse anyone.

You can OC WITHOUT ANY PERMIT.

You can CC WITH A VALID PERMIT.

Carrying in ANY motor vehicle is considered to be "concealed" by Ohio law. Therefore, you need a permit. (Follow transport laws otherwise).

Sorry, I didn't like the way you said that first sentence. It could be misunderstood.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

MyWifeSaidYes

+1 to Hareuhal.

As stupid as it seems, once you are astride your bike, for legal purposes you are now "in" that vehicle.

Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle is addressed in R.C. 2923.16

Carrying Concealed Weapons is addressed in R.C. 2923.12.

If you want to keep your handgun loaded, you may be okay in putting it under your seat, if there is room for storage. See R.C. 2923.16(B). Use your best judgement.

JediSkipdogg

If you want to keep your handgun loaded, you may be okay in putting it under your seat, if there is room for storage. See R.C. 2923.16(B). Use your best judgement.

But if you get by B, you are still violating C. Otherwise everyone could carry a loaded firearm in a trunk. However, we all know that's not lega.

MyWifeSaidYes

And legal, unlicensed concealed carry in ones home needs to be expanded to carrying upon ones own property.

Without a CHL, I can conceal in my home, but not when I go out to my garage (possibly even if the garage is attached to the house).

eye95

Agreed. There should be full unlicensed carry on one's own property and on the property of another with permission of the owner/agent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

newell711

Thanks all for the input. I have a wv permit which is recognized in Ohio so I'm good. What you all said is how i interpreted the law as well but was wanting some other opinions. Thanks again