• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

House Resolution 3; Prohibit Firearms in House by Brian Egolf

castiel

Fortunately House Rules aren't laws and can't really be enforced. Even if they did try to enforce it this rule would easily be defeated in court since it's a public building and the state constitution makes it clear that firearms can't be restricted.

It's really dumb that they even waste time on this kind of stuff though. I read an article yesterday and one of the legislators wanting this rule said he doesn't want people walking around with automatic weapons. Just goes to show that the people making our laws don't have any idea what they're talking about.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Fortunately House Rules aren't laws and can't really be enforced. Even if they did try to enforce it this rule would easily be defeated in court since it's a public building and the state constitution makes it clear that firearms can't be restricted.

It's really dumb that they even waste time on this kind of stuff though. I read an article yesterday and one of the legislators wanting this rule said he doesn't want people walking around with automatic weapons. Just goes to show that the people making our laws don't have any idea what they're talking about.

Oh, house rules can be enforced....the legislature can ignore them but you cannot ... and courts will do you no good, separation of powers,,,judge won't even listen to the case.

castiel

Oh, house rules can be enforced....the legislature can ignore them but you cannot ... and courts will do you no good, separation of powers,,,judge won't even listen to the case.

Then they're just setting themselves up to get sued, just like all the city mayors that have tried and failed to ban guns during meetings.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Then they're just setting themselves up to get sued, just like all the city mayors that have tried and failed to ban guns during meetings.

a court will not hear the case ... separation of powers

I just wrote a memorandum of law about it ... I had to overcome 3 hurdles:
1) separation of powers .. rules of houses/joint rules are made and ruled on only by the houses
2) immunity of legislature and its members
3) that speech and debate violations must be addressed in the legislature only

Read your state constitution -- you'll see provisions like this under the legislature section of the constitution....

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

Mayors are not protected by your constitution like the state assemblymen are .. sue away (they may have limited liability)

Last edited:

castiel

Mayors are not protected by your constitution like the state assemblymen are .. sue away (they may have limited liability)

Mayors or legislators it doesn't matter. The law is with regards to public buildings. By your logic the legislature could vote on a house rule that bans freedom of speech and freedom of the press in the capitol and you're saying nobody would legally be able to challenge it?

Your profile doesn't say where you live, so I have to ask: do you even live in NM?

Last edited:

AH.74

What is to stop this from becoming introduced as a bill later, after the rule/resolution is passed?

Best to have it defeated from the beginning, and not let it gain any foothold.