• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blood draw = warrent required --

davidmcbeth

Banned
http://www.statesman.com/news/news/...g-dwi-suspect-blood-without-warrant-un/njGYD/

The Combined Law Enforcement Associations of Texas, or CLEAT, had no immediate comment on the court’s opinion but a spokesman said, “Any time you take a tool away from law enforcement you give an advantage to those who break the law.

No, the court just ruled that the cops violated the law...the 4th amendment is not a TOOL. These guys are clear in their intent: they do not honor the constitution.

Last edited by a moderator:

stealthyeliminator

My rights give me an advantage? Good, they're supposed to... Not because I break the law, no, they give me advantage as a law abiding citizen. But these sort of people don't believe law abiding citizens should have any advantages or defenses against law enforcement. They believe we should be completely susceptible to being ruled, subdued and coerced. I for one will not fall for that.

OC Freedom

My rights give me an advantage? Good, they're supposed to... Not because I break the law, no, they give me advantage as a law abiding citizen. But these sort of people don't believe law abiding citizens should have any advantages or defenses against law enforcement. They believe we should be completely susceptible to being ruled, subdued and coerced. I for one will not fall for that.

+1

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Any time you take a tool away from law enforcement you give an advantage to those who break the law.

If this were true, then the Gestapo should be our law enforcement model. (Then again, they basically are, so never mind.)

The sad part is that many people are not immediately struck by the idiocy of such statements.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran

They believe, basically, that all people are in one of two mutually exclusive groups:

1. Raging, drug-fueled master criminals who can be stopped by nothing less than 27 major-caliber handgun or rifle rounds fired during the course of at least two mag dumps; or

2. Cowering, whimpering children who need constant protection and hand-holding provided by the beneficent state and its costumed heroes.

I say we fire them all without severance or recommendations.

sudden valley gunner

Its such a dishonest statement too.

Nothing is being taken away. They operate on limited powers granted to them. They don't have any property rights in any actions while engaged in public service.

They then want to cry about not being allowed to steal more power than what was granted to them constitutionally.

OC for ME

What sanctions will the signing judge face? "Exigent" circumstance. :rolleyes:

Right up there with "furtive" movement and "I need to check that you ain't no felon."

Don't forget the "banana looked like a gun" spiel.

Many cop shops will work overtime to retain their immunity vehicles. Pathetic reprobates, all of them.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
And yet: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-268.2

Code of Virginia § 18.2-268.2. Implied consent to post-arrest testing to determine drug or alcohol content of blood.

A. Any person, whether licensed by Virginia or not, who operates a motor vehicle upon a highway, as defined in § 46.2-100, in the Commonwealth shall be deemed thereby, as a condition of such operation, to have consented to have samples of his blood, breath, or both blood and breath taken for a chemical test to determine the alcohol, drug, or both alcohol and drug content of his blood, if he is arrested for violation of § 18.2-266, 18.2-266.1, or subsection B of § 18.2-272 or of a similar ordinance within three hours of the alleged offense.

B. Any person so arrested for a violation of clause (i) or (ii) of § 18.2-266 or both, § 18.2-266.1 or subsection B of § 18.2-272 or of a similar ordinance shall submit to a breath test. If the breath test is unavailable or the person is physically unable to submit to the breath test, a blood test shall be given. The accused shall, prior to administration of the test, be advised by the person administering the test that he has the right to observe the process of analysis and to see the blood-alcohol reading on the equipment used to perform the breath test. If the equipment automatically produces a written printout of the breath test result, the printout, or a copy, shall be given to the accused.

C. A person, after having been arrested for a violation of clause (iii), (iv), or (v) of § 18.2-266 or § 18.2-266.1 or subsection B of § 18.2-272 or of a similar ordinance, may be required to submit to a blood test to determine the drug or both drug and alcohol content of his blood. When a person, after having been arrested for a violation of § 18.2-266 (i) or (ii) or both, submits to a breath test in accordance with subsection B or refuses to take or is incapable of taking such a breath test, he may be required to submit to tests to determine the drug or both drug and alcohol content of his blood if the law-enforcement officer has reasonable cause to believe the person was driving under the influence of any drug or combination of drugs, or the combined influence of alcohol and drugs.

(1992, c. 830; 1993, c. 746; 1994, cc. 359, 363; 1995, c. 23; 2002, c. 748; 2004, c. 1013; 2005, cc. 616, 757, 840.)

I would not be surprised to find out that many other states have such laws on their books. The emotional blackmail of MADD/DADD/SADD/BADD/TSADD (Total Strangers ....) foisted these laws on us. It's going to take some expensive trials to get them, one by one, declared unconstitutional.

stay safe.

Primus

Code of Virginia § 18.2-268.2. Implied consent to post-arrest testing to determine drug or alcohol content of blood.

A. Any person, whether licensed by Virginia or not, who operates a motor vehicle upon a highway, as defined in § 46.2-100, in the Commonwealth shall be deemed thereby, as a condition of such operation, to have consented to have samples of his blood, breath, or both blood and breath taken for a chemical test to determine the alcohol, drug, or both alcohol and drug content of his blood, if he is arrested for violation of § 18.2-266, 18.2-266.1, or subsection B of § 18.2-272 or of a similar ordinance within three hours of the alleged offense.

B. Any person so arrested for a violation of clause (i) or (ii) of § 18.2-266 or both, § 18.2-266.1 or subsection B of § 18.2-272 or of a similar ordinance shall submit to a breath test. If the breath test is unavailable or the person is physically unable to submit to the breath test, a blood test shall be given. The accused shall, prior to administration of the test, be advised by the person administering the test that he has the right to observe the process of analysis and to see the blood-alcohol reading on the equipment used to perform the breath test. If the equipment automatically produces a written printout of the breath test result, the printout, or a copy, shall be given to the accused.

C. A person, after having been arrested for a violation of clause (iii), (iv), or (v) of § 18.2-266 or § 18.2-266.1 or subsection B of § 18.2-272 or of a similar ordinance, may be required to submit to a blood test to determine the drug or both drug and alcohol content of his blood. When a person, after having been arrested for a violation of § 18.2-266 (i) or (ii) or both, submits to a breath test in accordance with subsection B or refuses to take or is incapable of taking such a breath test, he may be required to submit to tests to determine the drug or both drug and alcohol content of his blood if the law-enforcement officer has reasonable cause to believe the person was driving under the influence of any drug or combination of drugs, or the combined influence of alcohol and drugs.

(1992, c. 830; 1993, c. 746; 1994, cc. 359, 363; 1995, c. 23; 2002, c. 748; 2004, c. 1013; 2005, cc. 616, 757, 840.)

I would not be surprised to find out that many other states have such laws on their books. The emotional blackmail of MADD/DADD/SADD/BADD/TSADD (Total Strangers ....) foisted these laws on us. It's going to take some expensive trials to get them, one by one, declared unconstitutional.

stay safe.
Wow... That's worse then it is up here in MA. We just subpoena records from hospital if they go. If they don't go to hospital then its breathalyzer. If they choose not to blow then automatic suspension of license. But nothing says they shall submit to blood draw or even breathalyer. That's nuts. No good

OC for ME

stay safe.
Being from Missouri I would immediately withdraw my consent...what then? Just as my overly dark window tinting, legal in my state, could be PC (RAS to seize me) for the issuance of a citation or arrest in another state/commonwealth that has more of a anti-liberty leaning...such as VA.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Being from Missouri I would immediately withdraw my consent...what then? Just as my overly dark window tinting, legal in my state, could be PC (RAS to seize me) for the issuance of a citation or arrest in another state/commonwealth that has more of a anti-liberty leaning...such as VA.

Its like saying that you consent to a search just for walking on public land ... goofy.

Primus

Doesn't seem to matter where your from or if you consent. Found on a public way suspected of being hammered and they vampire you apparently. That sucks

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

You can't withdraw your consent. It was given the moment you drove on the public ways. Says so right there in the law. Go fight it in court after you fight for suppression of the blood test results.

stay safe.

OC for ME

You can't withdraw your consent. It was given the moment you drove on the public ways. Says so right there in the law. Go fight it in court after you fight for suppression of the blood test results.

stay safe.
Sure I can. Then the cops will extract the sample by force. Just as the Illinois Supreme Court stated that a non-IL citizen in Il does not need a FOID, so will a non VA citizen, at some point in the future be able to refuse to provide the sample. As you correctly state a court battle will ensue.

Though, what if the sample, taken against the citizen's will, returns a finding that the citizen is not in violation of the law? What if it is a OC er in this situation? What if...

So little interest in this law from those most subject to it.

davidmcbeth

Banned

stay safe.

I guess you could turn in your DL...hence revoked by you.

Then you just travel around w/o a license ... I don't see an issue with that ... you have the right to travel.

Folks in NH appreciate the need not to have a DL to travel.

Last I looked (2013 time frame), in CT operating a MV w/o a license was only a 50 or 75 dollar infraction and that's it. Pay the $$ (or not) you just hop back into the car and travel away. Each state is different of course.