• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Baton Rouge Zoo

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
All BREC facilities are gun-free by ordinanace which pre-dates the statewide pre-emption law. Only criminals may have guns there. And cops.

There are, however, several of the large apes on display who would be better qualified to carry than some people I know. ;)

charlie12

Sec. 13:1011. - Possession of firearms at BREC parks.

(a)
It shall be unlawful for any person to have in his possession a firearm, pellet gun, BB gun or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon on property comprising parks, playgrounds, recreational areas or facilities owned or operated by the recreation and parks commission.

(b)
Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars ($500.00), imprisoned in the jail for not more than six (6) months, or both.

(City Code 1951, Title 13, § 107; Parish Code 1962, Title 13, § 417)

george everette sibley

a pair of deuces doesn't beat a royal flush

I find it highly amusing to read some of the posts here, throwing up these ludicrous municpal codes which are used to mislead the readers into thinking it trumps the state constitution.

4sooth

More than a few NOPD officers I've spoken with are adamant that Orleans Parish law overrides state law. "The Constitution doesn't apply here--this is New Orleans".