• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cabelas and Stop & Shop

MGoduto

imported post

I had a meeting with some headhunters in East Hartford today, so I just HAD to stop at Cabelas. Was dressed in khakis, white long-sleeve dress shirt, nice shoes.Noticed the signs on the doors that said that CC and OC are fine. OC'd of course. Walked-in with my Sig P239 (.40) on my hip. Got a brief glance from the guy at the door,a glance from the guys working the gun counter, and a final glance from a guy asking if I needed help while I was pawing through the pistol magazine displays. Got a cup of coffee in the cafe, paid for my stuff, and left.

I wasn't asked to check my gun, unload it, cover it up, or put it in my car.

Went to Stop & Shop (Newington - Fenn Road). Still OC'ing.Was dressed the same. Did weekly grocery shopping. No reactions from other shoppers, employees, or the store manager. No old folks ran out of the store in panic, and theemployeesof the bank branch in the store didn't press theMWAG alarm when I walked by.

Another quiet day.

Rich B

imported post

MGoduto wrote:
I wasn't asked to check my gun, unload it, cover it up, or put it in my car.

Right, I was assured by manager Mark's manager that the managers and employees have been properly trained now. Haven't actually made it back up there, hoping no one else will have any issues.

Went to Stop & Shop (Newington - Fenn Road).

Sounds like my experiences with Big Y in North Branford. I get some stares (probably not even because of the gun!), but otherwise everyone is polite and friendly like I am.

NickNt

Also, depending on your overall appearence people may just assume your a LEO off duty or something. I was speaking with a Stamford officer the other day and he is still under the impression that open carrying is considered breach of peace.

MGoduto wrote:

Right, I was assured by manager Mark's manager that the managers and employees have been properly trained now. Haven't actually made it back up there, hoping no one else will have any issues.

Sounds like my experiences with Big Y in North Branford. I get some stares (probably not even because of the gun!), but otherwise everyone is polite and friendly like I am.

NickNt

Not sure off the top of my head. He is a nice guy but as i said still thinks it's BOP. I informed him of a couple incidents, including yours Rich B where the police knew they wouldn't be able to prosecute you so they decided to drop the charges. Have you ever been down this way open carrying? I would curious to your experience in stamford.

What is his name?

Rich B

Not sure off the top of my head. He is a nice guy but as i said still thinks it's BOP. I informed him of a couple incidents, including yours Rich B where the police knew they wouldn't be able to prosecute you so they decided to drop the charges. Have you ever been down this way open carrying? I would curious to your experience in stamford.

I have not been to Stamford in general. That police department needs to be contacted. That officer is dangerously misinformed.

If you could find out the officer's name, it would be a big help.

NickNt

Yea i am not sure off the top of my head, i remember faces better then names generally. If you want to contact the chief of stamford i could supply you with his email, my contact with him did not amount to anything.

I have not been to Stamford in general. That police department needs to be contacted. That officer is dangerously misinformed.

If you could find out the officer's name, it would be a big help.

NickNt

Hey Rich B , it's been a couple weeks, did you have any luck with Stamford? If not I may try emailing again, but let me know

Last edited:

Tim77

Cabelas...

Just thought I would throw this in here... My girlfriend (and permit holder) works at Cabela's now. She told me that during orientation they tell all new employees that open carry is fine in CT and not to be concerned if they see someone doing so. I was glad to hear that.

stacks04

Just thought I would throw this in here... My girlfriend (and permit holder) works at Cabela's now. She told me that during orientation they tell all new employees that open carry is fine in CT and not to be concerned if they see someone doing so. I was glad to hear that.

Thats a great update.

KennyB

I've OC'd in Cabela's a few times in the last couple months, nary a second look. Of course, I OC just about everywhere now with no problems. Probably because OC is becoming a little more common here and has been in the media also. Now if we could get more CC people to take the jump, it would become even more common place..........

giants

I oc in Pa almost all the time now..I visit the Bloomfield area a few times a year & cc there.I do have a Ct license..How is the oc situation around Bloomfield? I will be going there in a few weeks.

Jellydonut

Also, depending on your overall appearence people may just assume your a LEO off duty or something. I was speaking with a Stamford officer the other day and he is still under the impression that open carrying is considered breach of peace.

First, let me say I am all for people WITH a pistol permit to carry OC or CC. With that being said I think people that OC need to realize that every OC situation is different. The police may be called and respond and they may not. If the police respond nothing may happen or something may happen,again, depends on the situation and it's facts and circumstances.

stacks04

First, let me say I am all for people WITH a pistol permit to carry OC or CC. With that being said I think people that OC need to realize that every OC situation is different. The police may be called and respond and they may not. If the police respond nothing may happen or something may happen,again, depends on the situation and it's facts and circumstances.

Yes something may happen, but they cant charge you with anything. Well they could but it wont stick in court. Also how do you raise awareness if you dont do it and let the public see it and thats its alright.