• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 1238: CPL age to 18

OrangeIsTrouble

Hey folks, it's that special time again down at the capitol, and now the CPL to 18 bill is alive again and needs 30 seconds of your time.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=1238&year=2011

This year, HB 1238 has 10 sponsors, and it has been forwarded to the Judiciary Committee.

What I ask for you to do is take 30 seconds, call Jamie Pedersen, Chair of the Judiciary Committee and tell him you want a hearing for this bill!!! And if you got a couple more seconds, call your local rep or give a thanks to one (or more) of the reps sponsoring this bill.

http://www.leg.wa.gov/House/Representatives/Pages/pedersen.aspx

Olympia Office (360) 786-7826

District Office (206) 729-3206

See? No need for paypal donations or going out of the room (assuming you have a phone with you).

I will be heading down to the capitol soon and will start knocking down doors making sure I am heard this year. Last year caught us off guard, but this year we're up and ready.

:monkey

UPDATE

[FONT=&quot]We got a message from Jamie Pedersen, who spoke with Adam Kline. Adam Kline; chair of the Senate Judiciary who doesn't want to hear it.

One of the conditions for a hearing given by Jamie was to convince Adam Kline...

(360) 786-7688[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]adam.kline@leg.wa.gov[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

This will be a challenge. Please direct any effort towards Kline, if we can get Kline to just say ok to a hearing, this bill will get a hearing!!
[/FONT]

Last edited:

FMCDH

Contacted my reps (32nd district) yesterday asking they support it. I will give Mr. Pendersen a call tomorrow.

I'm pulling for you! :D

OrangeIsTrouble

Mucho gracias FMCDH, that's all that's needed; a simple call, but great numbers will do wonders. Imagine Pedersen coming into the office and his assistant telling him his day is done, there's countless voicemails with the same message, can't pay attention to anything else other than HB 1238.

:cool:

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Call, email, etc...

I am calling my state reps and my 18yo daughter is also calling. I think an email and phone call from a 18yo girl will have an impact on them just a bit.....

Aryk45XD

Made my call.
Gogo, thanks for the idea. I'll try to get my friend's daughters to call. We're all going shooting soon and they are excited by the idea of protecting themselves and their mother.

OrangeIsTrouble

Gogo, that is dead on, I'll be getting a few of my female friends to leave some messages too. Interest is all, they don't need to be dedicated to getting a CPL, but having the option of it later.

1911er

CPL at 18

This is what I sent to Mr. Pederson

I feel that if someone is old enough to fight for there country. They should be old enough to carry a weapon and protect themselves and thier loved ones. PLEASE see that this bill gets to hearing. If it dosent that would be a slap in the face to all of our service men and women who daily put their lives on the line to protect us.While the state thinks that they are to immature to handle a weapon responsibly.

Thank you
Loren C Burruss

heresolong

BTW, here is a list of the Judiciary Committee. If you live in their districts you have an even greater voice.

Pedersen, Jamie (D) Chair MOD B 102 (360) 786-7826
Goodman, Roger (D) Vice Chair MOD E 101 (360) 786-7878
Rodne, Jay (R) * MOD G 108 (360) 786-7852
Shea, Matt (R) ** MOD G 101 (360) 786-7984
Chandler, Bruce (R) LEG 427B (360) 786-7960
Eddy, Deb (D) LEG 132D (360) 786-7848
Frockt, David (D) MOD D 104 (360) 786-7886
Kirby, Steve (D) LEG 437B (360) 786-7996
Klippert, Brad (R) MOD A 201 (360) 786-7882
Nealey, Terry (R) MOD C 202 (360) 786-7828
Orwall, Tina (D) MOD E 201 (360) 786-7834
Rivers, Ann (R) MOD A 203 (360) 786-7850
Roberts, Mary Helen (D) MOD B 205 (360) 786-7950

OrangeIsTrouble

Excellent message 1911er, and thanks heresolong for the list. Ann Rivers is a sponsor and also a member of the committee, would be helpful to drop her a note.

The most important thing right now is to get a hearing, and to do that, we must contact Jamie Pedersen

Olympia Office (360) 786-7826

District Office (206) 729-3206

jamie.pedersen@leg.wa.gov

Like I said, I am going to be down at the capitol on friday, doing face to face interactions and thanking the sponsors.

Will update as things come up.

FMCDH

This is what I sent to Mr. Pederson

I feel that if someone is old enough to fight for their country, they should be old enough to carry a weapon and protect themselves and their loved ones. PLEASE see that this bill gets to hearing. If it doesn't, that would be a slap in the face to all of our service men and women who daily put their lives on the line to protect us, while the state thinks that they are too immature to handle a weapon responsibly.

Thank you
Loren C Burruss

Fixed it for you.... :)

PLEASE use spell check and proof read your stuff before sending them off to representatives folks. It doesn't make much difference here, as everyone is sloppy, but when addressing someone who is reading hundreds to thousands of requests for consideration of legislative action, neatness counts in the overall process on how serious they take you.

skiingislife725

Fixed it for you.... :)

PLEASE use spell check and proof read your stuff before sending them off to representatives folks. It doesn't make much difference here, as everyone is sloppy, but when addressing someone who is reading hundreds to thousands of requests for consideration of legislative action, neatness counts in the overall process on how serious they take you.

+1 Well said. Like it or not, it makes a lot of difference in your impact to the person you are writing to if you've "got all your ducks lined in a row".

amlevin

It might also help, when communicating with a Representative, to send an original letter. Since they receive "tons" of mail each day, the "form letters" where everyone is sending the same message are probably just put aside after the first one or two. The ones more likely to be read are the ones that are original, and convey a personal message.

In the end, all that the aides are going to put in front of the Representative/Senator is a note that will give a summary of the "For's" and "Against's" with one or two of the better letters from each side.

And in the end, the Representative's vote will go to the side that they expect the most help from in the next election.

amlevin

HR 227 in Congress

If passed, HR 227 will negate any State Law allowing under 21 carry.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h112-227&tab=summary

Child Gun Safety and Gun Access Prevention Act of 2011 - Amends the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to: (1) raise the age of handgun eligibility to 21 (currently, 18)

Let's hope that the current majority in the House holds by the rules and requires that this bill have a statement justifying its constitutionality attached before it is considered.

BTW, just having any Federal Legislation like this being considered might well cause our State Legislators to put their positions on hold for any State Legislation that would be in conflict. Especially with Dem's still in control in Olympia.

Last edited:

FMCDH

Trigger Dr

The last sentence give some hope for the Eddie Eagle program but not much more.
snip ("Expresses the sense of Congress that each school district should provide or participate in a firearms safety program for students.")