• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti firearm stores

stressman

hello everyone,
i haven't posted in a while i just wanted to share some recent experiences.
i was oc in smiths the other day buying a few things while i was walking around the store i noticed a employee following me around while i was shopping they did not say anything to me until after i paid for my stuff. after i payed for my items at the check stand on my way out the door i was stopped by an employee he asked me if i had a ccw for "that" and pointed at my firearm i asked "why?" he told me that i need a ccw to carry a firearm in the store, i explained to him i was ocing. He did not care, he said i can not bring a firearm in smiths without a concealed carry permit that it is against company policy for me to carry a firearm in there store i said "are you sure?" he said "yes" and told me i had to leave, so i left.
Today i went to del-taco up by Topsy lane to get a burrito with my girl friend and my two buddy's, i was ocing of course, i ordered the stuff that i wanted to eat and paid. no one said anything to me, the guy taking my order obviously saw my gun but he didn't seem to mind. I have oced in there before a few times with no problems or anyone bothering me. after i got my food and went to sit down to eat one of the employees shouted over the counter at me "you have to leave that outside or in your car" i asked why? i was a little confused. he said to me that it is against policy to have firearms in the building. i asked why he didn't answer, so i got up and started to leave with my girl friend and my buddy's, as we were walking out the door the same employee said to us "oh you guys don't have to leave on me i can protect you" like a smart ass, i didn't say anything i just left and ate in the car i wanted to just return my food and get my money back for being disrespected like that but i was hungry and i didn't want to make a scene. none of the places had no firearms allowed signs. what should i do? should i just not go back to those places? outrageous

Felix

Typical...nothing said until after you'd paid. Not much more you could do even if the place wasn't posted. Can't stay inside a business establishment after you've been asked to leave. I suppose you could have taken the fast-food employee up on his "oh you guys don't have to leave" offer. I'm enough of a Dick, I might have just sat back down and 'thanked' him for his protection offer and for not making me leave on his account.

Fallschirjmäger

I think I would tend to be a bit unnaturally clumsy after hearing words like that. It would upset me so much that my food and drink might even spill from the tray and wind up on the floor. Naturally, such clumsiness is my fault and I'd ask for forgiveness as the wage-slave mopped and cleaned.

wrightme

I think I would tend to be a bit unnaturally clumsy after hearing words like that. It would upset me so much that my food and drink might even spill from the tray and wind up on the floor. Naturally, such clumsiness is my fault and I'd ask for forgiveness as the wage-slave mopped and cleaned.

Bad ida.

Simply tell them you will no longer pay for their product, AND you will encourage your friends to no longer pay for their product, as the store is a defense-free zone.

MilitaryMike

The best thing to do is call the cooperate office and tell them about the incidents. Most companies stick to the state law. Ask for an apology by the store owner and make sure to drop the names of the employees involved. Both times this has happened to me I got an immediate apology from the store manager. I asked both of these manager to call back an leave a voice mail. So now if I have a problem in that store, I will just play the voice mail on speaker phone and ask the employee "Should I call him/her and get them to tell you that you are out of line?". I am an ass though..

P.S. I like the spilling of the food idea.

Felix

Simply tell them you will no longer pay for their product, AND you will encourage your friends to no longer pay for their product, as the store is a defense-free zone.

In NV where the OP wrote from, 0.58% of the state's adult population has a license to CCW in the last study I saw. Plus the OCs which are typically a small percentage of the CCs. What I'm saying is, if you got every carrier to avoid the place, it wouldn't make a blip in the accountant's ledger. That's a feel good measure but not a viable economic argument which will sway any business owner's opinion. If you come up with one which will resonate with the business community, please promulgate it.

JoeGlock40

In NV where the OP wrote from, 0.58% of the state's adult population has a license to CCW in the last study I saw. Plus the OCs which are typically a small percentage of the CCs. What I'm saying is, if you got every carrier to avoid the place, it wouldn't make a blip in the accountant's ledger. That's a feel good measure but not a viable economic argument which will sway any business owner's opinion. If you come up with one which will resonate with the business community, please promulgate it.

in tucson its made a big enough deal its been on the news a few times and actually got a couple places to take down there signs..like Pizza hut and Chipotle for example...even tho you cant OC in them tho..but we still got some of the best gun laws around tho

Dang i love AZ

DoubleAgentMan

Activist Member
I carry in the Smiths down the street all the time. I have had a few negative comments behind my back from other customers, but never employees. A few people ask why I carry or what model it is, but that is usually as far as it goes. Once I had the manager take me from a long line with a checker to the self checkout to have the lady running it ring up all my items for me. It was pretty weird but I got to save 15 minutes and I am sure I was out just in time for a district manager or something.

wrightme

You should take note of my location.

Then, you should take note of my actual statement. "AND you will encourage your friends to no longer pay for their product, as the store is a defense-free zone..." That includes persons who do not OC or CC.

Felix

in tucson its made a big enough deal its been on the news a few times and actually got a couple places to take down there signs..like Pizza hut and Chipotle for example...even tho you cant OC in them tho..but we still got some of the best gun laws around tho

Arizona 1¾% CC plus the OCs. Not up to states like SD 7½%, IN and PA 6¾% where carriers really have an opportunity to get the business community's attention but certainly better than NV nevertheless.

wrightme

I carry in the Smiths down the street all the time. I have had a few negative comments behind my back from other customers, but never employees. A few people ask why I carry or what model it is, but that is usually as far as it goes. Once I had the manager take me from a long line with a checker to the self checkout to have the lady running it ring up all my items for me. It was pretty weird but I got to save 15 minutes and I am sure I was out just in time for a district manager or something.

Man, if we could just get that elevated to a policy of "head of the line privileges for all OC" or "this lane one OC or more only...." :banana:

Felix

Wrightme, you have friends who don't carry? That's heresy. :eek:

Felix

If EVERYONE here doesn't, how will numbers ever increase?

Oh, there's plenty of 'em to convert but I refer to them as acquaintances or business associates, not true friends. :D

Those who don't share a passion about 2A rights (and carry themselves) typically don't give a rat's behind about furthering the cause and educating those who write the state and federal laws concerning the RTKABA. Darn few would ever boycott a business to further a cause if they themselves don't have a dog in the fight.

protect our rights

I have to say I would be tempted. Only becasue of the way he was treated. I normal give the same respect I get.

Bad ida.

Like I said, if it had been a respectful encounter, I would have no need to be disrespectful. Now usually I try and set an example while OCing. I also have anger over disrespect. Not saying it's right.

Last edited:

bushwacker

hello everyone,
i haven't posted in a while i just wanted to share some recent experiences.
i was oc in smiths the other day buying a few things while i was walking around the store i noticed a employee following me around while i was shopping they did not say anything to me until after i paid for my stuff. after i payed for my items at the check stand on my way out the door i was stopped by an employee he asked me if i had a ccw for "that" and pointed at my firearm i asked "why?" he told me that i need a ccw to carry a firearm in the store, i explained to him i was ocing. He did not care, he said i can not bring a firearm in smiths without a concealed carry permit that it is against company policy for me to carry a firearm in there store i said "are you sure?" he said "yes" and told me i had to leave, so i left.
Today i went to del-taco up by Topsy lane to get a burrito with my girl friend and my two buddy's, i was ocing of course, i ordered the stuff that i wanted to eat and paid. no one said anything to me, the guy taking my order obviously saw my gun but he didn't seem to mind. I have oced in there before a few times with no problems or anyone bothering me. after i got my food and went to sit down to eat one of the employees shouted over the counter at me "you have to leave that outside or in your car" i asked why? i was a little confused. he said to me that it is against policy to have firearms in the building. i asked why he didn't answer, so i got up and started to leave with my girl friend and my buddy's, as we were walking out the door the same employee said to us "oh you guys don't have to leave on me i can protect you" like a smart ass, i didn't say anything i just left and ate in the car i wanted to just return my food and get my money back for being disrespected like that but i was hungry and i didn't want to make a scene. none of the places had no firearms allowed signs. what should i do? should i just not go back to those places? outrageous

I noticed that you are in nevada and sounds like you need to get with my buddy dave of www.guerillalawfare.com they organize oc events and even go to roadblock/checkpoints and get them on any infractions like the sign is not enough warning distance as required by law and put on oc events all over nv and kali, the vegas metro knows them on site ,they even gotten it where you can carry on the strip if you want. with that said I would have asked fo rmy money back if you cant eat in with your gun after all didn't they ask dine or to go before you paid? that says they offer you their dinning room to eat in and you paid them thats kinda of a verbal contract, but when they wanted to break the offer/contract then you should be entitled to your money back upon returning the purchased items mite you want to mention that in your letter to corperate if you write them also i have eaten at del taco numerace times in vegas while ocing and nothing said . but i can tell that when one of them anti guns fixes my order, the ingredents are skinny in the taco or thin on the burrito.:(

MKEgal

In both cases, you were approached by employees. Probably not managers of any stripe.

If it happens again, tell them to send the store manager over, and please bring a copy of the corporate policy which prohibits customers from protecting themselves. Start taking names.

If that doesn't settle the matter (talking w/ the manager), keep taking names & get the name / phone for the regional manger or maybe corporate office, VP of customer relations or something like that. Ask if they really want their hourly employees making corporate policy, esp. since what those people are saying goes against what the law says you can do. (Yes, I know, they can ask you to leave... but that's it. They can't tell you to take off your cross, or turban, or even your offensively-worded T-shirt.) Imagine the uproar if someone had been told "leave your Bible in the car" or "put that religious symbol under your shirt while you're in here"!

And while I totally understand the "I'm hungry & I'm not sending the food back" position [BTDT], when possible go to customer service & return everything. Their actions have consequences, and the most immediate one is that they are losing your money.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
I think I would tend to be a bit unnaturally clumsy after hearing words like that. It would upset me so much that my food and drink might even spill from the tray and wind up on the floor.

If you do something like that, all anyone will see is that a "gun nut" acted like a jackass.

Be better than they are. Report the incident here and to corporate, but don't give up the moral high ground.

sharkey

Arizona 1¾% CC plus the OCs. Not up to states like SD 7½%, IN and PA 6¾% where carriers really have an opportunity to get the business community's attention but certainly better than NV nevertheless.

You can't even carry in IN without a permit. Kinda hard to compare apples to apples in states where you don't need a permit to carrry.

Cite your statistics please.