• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Field Trip + Dinner / Saturday May 14, 2011

IanB

Howdy folks,

Thought I'd set up an OC event for us (NoVA folks) in May, hopefully we'll have some NICE weather! What could be better than traipsing around an air-conditioned museum looking at historical firearms? And not just any museum, but The National Firearms Museum! Did I mention admission to the NFM is FREE? Oh, you might be hungry afterwards? Got that covered too, we'll do lunch, er... I mean DINNER at Five Guys just down the road on Rt 50, but you gotta cover your own costs on that one.

National Firearms Museum website /w directions and further info:
http://www.nationalfirearmsmuseum.org/default.asp

Cameras are allowed and encouraged, however tripods are not. They take up too much space and block access to baby strollers/wheel chairs in the exhibits.

Time: 1400 [Museum] / 1600 [Leave for dinner @ Five Guys]

Date: 14 May 2011

National Firearms Museum - NRA HQ
11250 Waples Mill Rd, Fairfax

Five Guys - Fairfax Towne Center
12156 Fairfax Towne Center, Fairfax
See Map Location

Discuss below, see y'all there!

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I suppose it would be Dinner. In the Midwest we'd call it Linner.

The proper usage would be:

For months between April and September...Lunner
For all other months................................Dunch

That's Southern verbiage. I guess Linner is right for NOTVA.:p

Ref:
Nap's Southern Etiquette

Last edited:

Mr H

The proper usage would be:

For months between April and September...Lunner
For all other months................................Dunch

That's Southern verbiage. I guess Linner is right for NOTVA.:p

Ref:
Nap's Southern Etiquette

Personally, at 1600, I'd go with "Dupper"

Riana

Personally, at 1600, I'd go with "Dupper"

Funny, the first option I came up with between Dinner and Supper was Sinner... is that bad? :p

We may be up for the event. My son has been wanting to go back to the museum, so this could be a good excuse.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Sounds good, I am going to mark it on the calendar. ...and I don't care what the meal is called as long as it involves me eating:)

zoom6zoom

Fair warning: Agent19 has hands that make a 10mm look like a compact and the visual acuity of an 18 yo. He does with that 10 what some can't do with a .22. :uhoh:

Yeah, I've been on the range with him where we could move and shoot. One of the folks you don't want on the other team!

If this isn't my on-call day I'll try to be there. (Edit to add. Yup, it is. Bummer.)

Last edited:

ckwing13

SW VA Pistol Shoot

For tose of you that are not in the NOVA area there is a IDPA pistol Shoot at RRRC (Roanoke Rifle Revolver Club) the same day. It is a VCDL Benifit shoot. Sponsored by the VCDL. Pistol shoot starts at 10:00 am. Food will be provided and door prizes for shooters. Come one come all. See link for more detailes.

IDPA Match (VCDL Benefit Match)
7:00 am
Setup starts at 7 AM, registration starts at 9 AM, shooters meeting starts at 9:50 AM and first shot fired at 10:00 AM.

http://www.roanokerifle.com/

IanB

Dang Marco, I forgot about that VCDL shoot. But yeah, it's rather far away and all. And I haven't been practicing. And it's raining today. And... And...

We will have to test our skills again sometime, but I'm gonna pass on driving 4 hours to SW VA to attend a shoot. I've also never shot IDPA. Care to drive to NoVA?

IanB

Sounds like a fun time (as was the last one a couple years ago). I'm in. :)

Nova: You are not allowed to use avatar pics of HK employees holding HK guns unless you yourself are an HK owner. Last I knew, you ARE NOT an HK owner, correct? :lol:

Marco

Care to drive to NoVA?

I have to be in NoVA soon but I'll have the little ones with so no shooting unless it is required.

Edit:
Thanks fellas.
I wasn't planning on betting him with the plastic 10mm (this time) I was going to use a .357 magnum Semi Auto.

Last edited:

IanB

Well, Lemme know when your up next time. I'll go anywhere not named "Clark" or "Blue". I think you know my reasoning on those. Can I use my Mark III? :banana:

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
OK, can we get the title changed to "Dinner"? Anyone? Bueller?

Well, where and when I was "raised up" (Alexandria, when the population of that city was still less than 12,000), "dinner" was served between about 2 and 3 in the afternoon; "supper" was about 5 or 6 in the evening. And, even though we never had "dinner" except on special occasions and Sundays, and never had lunch and dinner on the same day, and "supper" generally consisted of boiled turnips or boiled tomatoes & stale bread (Grandmother called it, "stewed tomatoes"), we still observed the proper nomenclature.

So I'll skip "lunch", and have "dinner" at fiveguys. The peanuts don't care what you call'em.

Hope to be there -realized later that I'm scheduled to do the "Part Three" lecture for Michael Orsinger's NRA "Personal Protection In the Home" course in Ashburn that day. I think I'll be done in time to head out to Fairfax.

Last edited: