• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL class question

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
28.422 License to purchase, carry, possess, or transport pistol; issuance; qualifications; applications; sale of pistol; exemptions; nonresidents; basic pistol safety brochure;
forging application; implementation during business hours.

(12) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a pistol if all of the following conditions apply:
(a) The person is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a pistol.
(b) The person is at a recognized target range or shooting facility.
(c) The person possesses the pistol for the purpose of target practice or instruction in the safe use of a
pistol.

(d) The owner of the pistol is physically present and supervising the use of the pistol.
(13) The licensing authority shall provide a basic pistol safety brochure to each applicant for a license
under this section before the applicant answers the basic pistol safety review questionnaire. A basic pistol safety brochure shall contain, but is not limited to providing, information on all of the following subjects:
(a) Rules for safe handling and use of pistols.
(b) Safe storage of pistols.
(c) Nomenclature and description of various types of pistols.
(d) The responsibilities of owning a pistol.
(14) The basic pistol safety brochure shall be supplied in addition to the safety pamphlet required by

imo and I played a Klingon once but never a lawyer on TV, he can carry it at a target range, not on the street
I am sure the other city was for LONG GUNS

Notice the law only allows such borrowing "if all of the following conditions apply:", the most important one being that "(d) The owner of the pistol is physically present and supervising the use of the pistol."

Small_Arms_Collector

hi i was wondering if there is anything to stop me from takeing a CPL class this summer when im only 19 years old so that when i turn 21 in september 2013 i could apply for my cpl right when i turn 21

As far as the NRA Course (That's what most classes are) goes, you can take it at 18, and the law provides no expiration date on the certificate so you can take it now, and wait if you want to, and your certificate will still be good, no need to retake it.:D

I will be holding a class in the not to distant future (I'm an instructor) if you want to sign up, I have no issues teaching you. As far as gun rental goes if you need one the range, may, or may not do it, but I will, just bring a note from your parents saying you can (just to cover all my bases the law).

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

As far as the NRA Course (That's what most classes are) goes, you can take it at 18, and the law provides no expiration date on the certificate so you can take it now, and wait if you want to, and your certificate will still be good, no need to retake it.:D

I will be holding a class in the not to distant future (I'm an instructor) if you want to sign up, I have no issues teaching you. As far as gun rental goes the range, may, or may not do it, but I will, just bring a note from your parents saying you can (just to cover all my bases under state law).

Could you side a law requiring a note under Michigan or Federal law? I understand maybe for liability reasons but even then he's an adult.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Could you side a law requiring a note under Michigan or Federal law? I understand maybe for liability reasons but even then he's an adult.

Yes SAC please side, front, back a law? Just kidding - SAC probably wants the note for Range & liability issues. He's about as pro 2A of a guy I have ever met. I determined this in a mere 5 minutes of exposure to him at the Royal Oak city council/commission meeting he spoke at.

disclaimer * I am biased here, after all he carries a Glock ;)

Last edited:

xmanhockey7

Yes SAC please side, front, back a law? Just kidding - SAC probably wants the note for Range & liability issues. He's about as pro 2A of a guy I have ever met. I determined this in a mere 5 minutes of exposure to him at the Royal Oak city council/commission meeting he spoke at.

disclaimer * I am biased here, after all he carries a Glock ;)

Well if he carries a Glock! My bad us Glock owners shouldn't even have to side (kidding) law.

Bronson

I shall research some more, i am strictly referring to shooting at as gun range target practice, i can let anyone that is a non cpl holder, shoot my gun regardless of age. I will see if i can find something "handgun" related. I recall seeing something that restricted HANDGUNS to ranges.

IMO, you should go back and delete the other two posts since they deal with long guns and hunting. 28.422 deals with pistols and leaving the other two up there will just confuse people.

Bronson