• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Dick's Sporting Goods & Wal-Mart Pulling "Assault Rifles" from Stores

Virginian683

I recommend everyone reading this immediately contact Dick's (at corporate level) and tell them you will be BOYCOTTING their store until they return semi-auto rifles to their shelves and stop pandering to political extremists.

I also recommend you contact Wal-Mart corporate and tell them you will not be ordering anything from their online store or purchasing anything in their in-store sporting goods section until they do likewise. (I realize a full boycott of Wal-Mart is impossible for some people...including me. Yes, I am a corporate slave.)

http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/18/news/wal-mart-dicks-guns-connecticut/index.html

Wal-Mart pulls ad, Dick's halts assault rifle sales

By Emily Jane Fox and Christine Romans @CNNMoney December 18, 2012: 1:53 PM ET

Gun stores are under intense pressure from the massive outcry against assault rifles after last week's massacre in Newtown, Connecticut.

Large stores are responding by either suspending sales or pulling ads of semiautomatic rifles similar to the one used by Adam Lanza last Friday at Sandy Hook elementary school that killed 20 children and six adults. Some smaller stores, though, are holding tight.

The sports retailer Dick's Sporting Goods (DKS, Fortune 500) said it has suspended the sale of certain semiautomatic rifles from its 511 stores in 44 states "out of respect for the victims and their families." Dick's also said in a statement that it has removed all guns from its store near Newtown.

The retailer did not say if this is the first time it has taken such a measure, or how long the suspension will last. A search on the retailer's website on Tuesday for "modern sporting rifles," as the retailer calls them, led to a blank page.

Wal-Mart (WMT, Fortune 500) took down a listing on its website Monday for a semiautomatic assault rifle from the same maker as the Bushmaster AR-15, that was used by Lanza. In July, James Holmes used a similar semiautomatic rifle at a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, to kill 12 people and injure 58 others.

David Tovar, a Wal-Mart spokesman, said the Bushmaster gun was not for sale online and the web listing contained directions for the nearest store where it could be purchased. The ad was pulled because of sensitivity to the Newtown massacre, Tovar said.

[...]

Pray tell...where exactly is this "massive outcry" against "assault rifles" coming from? It is exclusively a manufactured emotional hysteria being foisted upon the public once again by a propagandistic mass media with a political agenda.

And as usual they don't care if they even know what they are talking about, technically speaking. A Washington Post story I read actually said Diane Feinstein would introduce a bill to ban "strips of more than 10 bullets." WTF are those?

And BTW, if anybody can find a Wal-Mart selling assault rifles, let me know because I've always wanted select-fire capability.

The level of ignorance and misinformation (i.e. lies) being promoted is staggering.

Last edited:

eye95

ABP, including a correction that Wal-Mart is NOT generally pulling so-called "assault" weapons.

It is bad enough when folks post "news" that has been already posted, but failing to check for existing threads causes debunked information to be repeated.

WalkingWolf

ABP, including a correction that Wal-Mart is NOT generally pulling so-called "assault" weapons.

It is bad enough when folks post "news" that has been already posted, but failing to check for existing threads causes debunked information to be repeated.

+1 This has been debunked on almost every local news network. The only thing Walmart is pulling is one internet ad.

Virginian683

First, for what it's worth, I did check the first two pages of the "News & Political Alerts" sub-forum and did not see anything. I did not check every sub-forum on this website and I did not run a search. I should have run a search. My mistake.

Second, if you actually read the article I posted it makes it clear that they are not pulling from their physical stores, but it says they did pull Bushmaster ARs from their online store. I believe that qualifies as "pulling from stores."

It's "bad enough" when people unilaterally assume the role of judging others, but failing to even read what they posted just makes them look foolish.

And Dick's is pulling all "assault rifles" or possibly all semi-auto rifles from their physical stores across the country.

So no, this story has not been "debunked" as you put it, and BTW, I would expect you to use that term if I posted a link saying UFOs were behind gun control, but this has been reported by multiple national and local news outlets. This can easily be confirmed. If it gets posted twice sorry, that was unintentional, but I guess the word will be out to even more people won't it?

WalkingWolf

First, for what it's worth, I did check the first two pages of the "News & Political Alerts" sub-forum and did not see anything. I did not check every sub-forum on this website and I did not run a search. I should have run a search. My mistake.

Second, if you actually read the article I posted it makes it clear that they are not pulling from their physical stores, but it says they did pull Bushmaster ARs from their online store. I believe that qualifies as "pulling from stores."

It's "bad enough" when people unilaterally assume the role of judging others, but failing to even read what they posted just makes them look foolish.

And Dick's is pulling all "assault rifles" or possibly all semi-auto rifles from their physical stores across the country.

So no, this story has not been "debunked" as you put it, and BTW, I would expect you to use that term if I posted a link saying UFOs were behind gun control, but this has been reported by multiple national and local news outlets. This can easily be confirmed. If it gets posted twice sorry, that was unintentional, but I guess the word will be out to even more people won't it?
NO Dick's is not, from the information I have they only pulled rifles from the stores located in the area of Newton, CT. They are continuing to sell out of rifles at the other national locations. It was misreported that they were pulling all guns, and that is nowhere true, and they are only pulling guns in the area for reasons of mourning, and respect. They did not say it was permanent. As for Walmart they do not sell guns online, they only pulled a ad, not the gun, and the gun when in stock will still be available.

eye95

First, use the search function if you haven't been keeping up with the site.

Second, there is a world of difference between pulling from the online store (singular) and pulling from storeS, which implies a general pulling. RIF.

Nobody made any assumptions, except maybe you. Nobody judged you, except maybe you.

Nobody disputed Dick's pulling of firearms.

Nobody said the story was debunked. I said that some information was debunked. It was. Duh. Again, RIF.

Moving on.

*shakes head in an odd mixture of pity and disgust*

Virginian683

First, use the search function if you haven't been keeping up with the site.

Second, there is a world of difference between pulling from the online store (singular) and pulling from storeS, which implies a general pulling. RIF.

Really? A world of difference? A store is a store -- whether it sells at physical retail or online.

Dick's and Wal-Mart are both stores -- plural. Dick's and Wal-Mart are pulling "assault rifles" from their stores. I don't know what's so confusing about that. I do know English grammar. (Do you?) But I won't dwell on this.

Nobody made any assumptions, except maybe you. Nobody judged you, except maybe you.

Yes, you did. You assumed a) that I did not make any effort to see if the story was already posted, and b) that I intentionally posted "debunked" information.

In actual fact, a) I did make a good faith effort to see if it was posted, but I should have done more, and b) the information is widely reported and confirmed by spokesmen for both stores (that's "s" plural) -- far from being "debunked"

Check your tone and your language and you will see that you did, in fact, make those assumptions and basically accuse me of intentionally posting false information. Actually, it is true information (unless Dick's and Wal-Mart themselves are lying) and you have not "debunked" anything.

Nobody disputed Dick's pulling of firearms.

Not explicitly.

Nobody said the story was debunked. I said that some information was debunked.

Ha... are you serious? Wow, talk about arguing semantics. What does a news story give you? I always thought it was information.

It was [debunked]. Duh. Again, RIF.

Uhh, no, it was not. Did I say Wal-mart was pulling guns from their physical stores? No. I let the article speak for itself and it was very clear. I also suggested people boycott Wal-Mart's online store. Now why would I do that? Maybe because that's where they are pulling the guns?

RUIF (Read and Understand It First)

*shakes head in an odd mixture of pity and disgust*

Disgust? As in, you find me disgusting? I'll tell you what... I don't see you displaying a mixture of either pity or disgust. I see you displaying mixture of ignorance and arrogance.

WalkingWolf said:
Nobody is perfect and we all make mistakes, except Obama, he is the "Chosen One".

Certainly, and I would never presume to doubt The One. :-/

I'm fully able to admit my mistakes (I am also able to defend myself where I did not), and I did so, but I guess sadly that is not a quality shared by all.

Last edited:

Virginian683

NO Dick's is not, from the information I have they only pulled rifles from the stores located in the area of Newton, CT. They are continuing to sell out of rifles at the other national locations. It was misreported that they were pulling all guns, and that is nowhere true, and they are only pulling guns in the area for reasons of mourning, and respect. They did not say it was permanent. As for Walmart they do not sell guns online, they only pulled a ad, not the gun, and the gun when in stock will still be available.

No they did not say it was permanent and neither did I. Again, that was all in the news report. I will not post all the links myself but if you do an internet search on "Dick's pulling guns" it has been picked up by literally dozens of local TV stations and several national news outlets. I didn't realize they had all already been debunked here at opencarry.org. (I guess Dick's and Wal-Mart's spokesmen lied about pulling their guns.)

I can tell you this though -- you can rest assured that this is the last time I will ever post any news report on this forum. Gosh.

twpetry

For anyone who is still interested:

After Dick's decided to stop selling all of what they call "Modern Sporting Rifles" otherwise known to the media as "Assault Weapons" all stores were directed to remove all displayed MSRs/AWs from the shelves, and to not allow anymore to leave the store. In fact, each individual UPC was restricted from the POS system and these guns could not be sold at all. Until recently, all of these guns have just been sitting in the back. I took this to mean that this was a temporary measure and sales would resume soon, however today I discovered that is not to be. Dick's is getting rid of all these firearms. I believe these guns will be returned to their respective manufacturers. (Hopefully that means that soon there will be a small blip of these guns returning to the market after the manufacturers resell them to other dealers. But, I digress.) As far as I know, Dick's has no immediate plans to resume stocking and selling these firearms.

MamabearCali

Looks like dicks decided to live up to their name...that's ok....I'll take my business to green tops or bass pro. Jack wagon.

WalkingWolf

Looks like dicks decided to live up to their name...that's ok....I'll take my business to green tops or bass pro. Jack wagon.
That was my initial reaction, but after the knee jerking stopped I realized that Dick's respects the right to self defense and allows open and concealed carry within their stores. Just like the grocery store, pharmacy, hardware store they have the right to choose what they sell for any reason. Plus considering their customer is mostly yuppies, and there is a incredibly high profit margin on clothing, and non firearm accessories it is very understandable their decision. While Walmart has the same profit margins the customer base is not yuppies, and their decision is more in line with their customer base.

OC for ME

Dick's Sporting Goods. I only patronize a Dick's if they are the only option for team sports safety equipment for my two boys. Too expensive for the same products that I can purchase elsewhere.

Walmart sells firearms/ammo primarily as a tease to get customers back to the sporting goods section of the store. If you will observe, the sporting goods section of any Walmart is not terribly large when compared to other sections. Though, Walmart's fishing tackle/supplies is the largest section in the sporting goods section (if fishing is big in your area that is). Walmart is not in the business of selling firearms thus the lack of any handguns behind the counter. Now do all Walmarts not sell handguns, that I do not know, but I have never seen any handguns for sale at a Walmart nor seen any advertised on their website.

The capital investment required to safely and securely stock and display a "large" quantity of firearms is a expense that Walmart will not justify because those products are not JIT (Just In Time) compatible. Walmart makes money by maintaining a razor thin inventory in each store. "Churn" is where the money is made in the retail sector. Low inventory, high product turnover, and JIT restocking is Walmart's business model. Firearms just are not the product that fits that business model easily.

If Walmart were to open a "gun store", or a Walmart Sporting Goods Outlet, that JIT could be applied to Walmart would be putting a great many "mom and pop" gun stores out of business. Heck, even Gander Mountain, Cabelas, and Bass Pro would need to take notice if Walmart got into the sporting goods game in any meaningful way.

Yes, the typical Walmart customer is not likely to be a firearms purchaser for financial reasons, but that is not why Walmart does not sell guns as do the Cabelas of the world.

Walmart will start selling those evil black rifles when they think the time is right to start selling them. Walmart is not much different than many mega corporations, they lack a institutional conscience. As of this post Walmart has advertised a Sig Sauer M400 for sale......"in stores only" of course.....but that's the rub is it not.

WalkingWolf

Dick's Sporting Goods. I only patronize a Dick's if they are the only option for team sports safety equipment for my two boys. Too expensive for the same products that I can purchase elsewhere.

Walmart sells firearms/ammo primarily as a tease to get customers back to the sporting goods section of the store. If you will observe, the sporting goods section of any Walmart is not terribly large when compared to other sections. Though, Walmart's fishing tackle/supplies is the largest section in the sporting goods section (if fishing is big in your area that is). Walmart is not in the business of selling firearms thus the lack of any handguns behind the counter. Now do all Walmarts not sell handguns, that I do not know, but I have never seen any handguns for sale at a Walmart nor seen any advertised on their website.

The capital investment required to safely and securely stock and display a "large" quantity of firearms is a expense that Walmart will not justify because those products are not JIT (Just In Time) compatible. Walmart makes money by maintaining a razor thin inventory in each store. "Churn" is where the money is made in the retail sector. Low inventory, high product turnover, and JIT restocking is Walmart's business model. Firearms just are not the product that fits that business model easily.

If Walmart were to open a "gun store", or a Walmart Sporting Goods Outlet, that JIT could be applied to Walmart would be putting a great many "mom and pop" gun stores out of business. Heck, even Gander Mountain, Cabelas, and Bass Pro would need to take notice if Walmart got into the sporting goods game in any meaningful way.

Yes, the typical Walmart customer is not likely to be a firearms purchaser for financial reasons, but that is not why Walmart does not sell guns as do the Cabelas of the world.

Walmart will start selling those evil black rifles when they think the time is right to start selling them. Walmart is not much different than many mega corporations, they lack a institutional conscience. As of this post Walmart has advertised a Sig Sauer M400 for sale......"in stores only" of course.....but that's the rub is it not.

That is a funny thing about how Walmart does things. We bought recently a TV that was in store only, but was not available on the floor. We payed for the TV online, and then went to pick it up in a few hours. The price was a super bargain, and the girl at the layaway desk eyes popped out. I certainly do not understand why a store will keep a item in stock, and not put it on the floor, but Walmart does do that.

OC for ME

That is a funny thing about how Walmart does things. We bought recently a TV that was in store only, but was not available on the floor. We payed for the TV online, and then went to pick it up in a few hours. The price was a super bargain, and the girl at the layaway desk eyes popped out. I certainly do not understand why a store will keep a item in stock, and not put it on the floor, but Walmart does do that.
Simplicity itself. Walmarts are many, Walmart warehouse are few & far between. Just a few items sprinkled everywhere permits Walmart to "warehouse" on-line items only everywhere. All Walmarts a some spare space "in back" just not taht much space. JIT drives this aspect of what you experienced buying that TV. Congrats on the great deal.