• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WA State Senate nominee arrested in Vegas with for illegal CCW

FMCDH

Odd, all he had to do was put it in the glove box and he would have been fine, even if it were loaded. Heck, even if he was OCing it in a holster he would have been fine, but tucking it into a waistband probably put his shirt over it.

I guess he didn't do his homework before he went down there. :rolleyes:

edited to add: Whats up with waistband carry lately? Is it the press that just doesn't know what a IWB holster is, or are people that broke they cant afford to spend $25 on something to properly secure a firearm on their body?

Last edited:

VW_Factor

Odd, all he had to do was put it in the glove box and he would have been fine, even if it were loaded. Heck, even if he was OCing it in a holster he would have been fine, but tucking it into a waistband probably put his shirt over it.

I guess he didn't do his homework before he went down there. :rolleyes:

edited to add: Whats up with waistband carry lately? Is it the press that just doesn't know what a IWB holster is, or are people that broke they cant afford to spend $25 on something to properly secure a firearm on their body?

I kinda wonder the same thing. 15 bones will net you a cheap Uncle Mike's IWB thingy.

FMCDH

He may get a break if he at least has a WA CPL, if not, he's porked.

Not likely. :(

Nevada changed it reciprocity back in mid 2009 to no longer recognize Florida or Utah permits so as to force carriers of those two most popular non-resident permit types to come to the state and spend money on their own permit.

They are very "intentional" on what they do with reciprocity in that state.

bikemutt

Good to know FMCDH, I'm headed to the silver state next month. No plans to carry there.

I was hunting last year with a guy from NV, his CPL states which pistols he's entitled to carry, kinda pisses him off, but it is what it is.

Anyway, I was thinking the nascent WA lawmaker might be cut some slack if he can legally carry at home and just "slipped up" when he crossed into NV, ignoring the other states like OR for now. The old "honest" mistake argument.

Jeff Hayes

Roy Murry is an open carry advocate from Spokane.

Dave_pro2a whats so funny? Please fill me in cause I am just not getting the joke.

Roy has quality gear and quality firearms I would be very surprised if he was carrying Mexican.

My guess is the charges are trumped up.

Dave_pro2a

Dave_pro2a whats so funny? Please fill me in cause I am just not getting the joke.

What isn't funny. Mexican carry, asleep in car, Las Vegas, politico thinking 'the law is for thee, and not for me.'

Of course, all alleged until he isn't charged based on political influence or connections ;)

Last edited:

KBCraig

I've seen news reports say a gun was "tucked in his waistband", when it actually involved a nice IWB holster. So, I never give any credit to that phrase.

FMCDH

I've seen news reports say a gun was "tucked in his waistband", when it actually involved a nice IWB holster. So, I never give any credit to that phrase.

Not sure an IWB would be my first pick of holsters when my ONLY option was OC for carry, but I hear what your saying. It does make one wonder if its just the ignorance of the media reporting the incident.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Anytime something is written like "carrying a concealed weapon in his waistband" it is automatically assumed by most that there was no holster involved when in fact this could be very likely how the gun was secured in his waistband, it does not mean carrying Mexican.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Roy Murry is an open carry advocate from Spokane.

Roy has quality gear and quality firearms I would be very surprised if he was carrying Mexican.

My guess is the charges are trumped up.

What's funny is the reactions here based upon extremely limited information in this newspaper story.

No matter how he was carrying, he was legal while he was in the vehicle. The story states that he informed the officers before he exited the vehicle.

Did they order him out of the vehicle? Or did he get out voluntarily?
Did they give him an opportunity to secure the firearm before he got out?

He could have made a mistake, or they could have entrapped him. Can't tell from the information provided.

More questions than answers in the newspaper report.

Trigger Dr

AH YES!!!! Pahrump, the home of Armscor / Rock Island Arms (Advanced Tactical.com) Great 1911 guns, great customer service, economical prices, did I mention great guns with low prices?

Dave_pro2a

What's funny is the reactions here based upon extremely limited information in this newspaper story.

No matter how he was carrying, he was legal while he was in the vehicle.

Really? It's legal to conceal a loaded pistol on your person without a permit in NV while inside a motor vehicle?

amlevin

AH YES!!!! Pahrump, the home of Armscor / Rock Island Arms (Advanced Tactical.com) Great 1911 guns, great customer service, economical prices, did I mention great guns with low prices?

So how do you buy those guns there and not be a resident of NV.

Did you purposely avoid mentioning the "World Famous Chicken Ranch"? I have heard that their "Customer Service" is great too but never heard anyone use the word "economical" when describing their prices.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Really? It's legal to conceal a loaded pistol on your person without a permit in NV while inside a motor vehicle?

Looked a little more into this and it appears I may have been mistaken.

Following the Maps link at the top of this page, there is conflicting information. The travel map says there are no restrictions on car carry of a loaded gun in Nevada. Clicking on Nevada and bringing up the specific Nevada page, it says it must be clearly visible.

Looking at the Specific Nevada statutes, I do not see any vehicle exemption for concealed carry.

FMCDH

No, concealed "on the person" is illegal without a permit, even in a POV. There are limited exceptions for vehicles, but while its "on the person" it must be OC.

Read the attorney generals letter on this topic, found here....
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/nevada.pdf

Last edited: