• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at EMU......?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Are those the only schools covered under Michigan Constitution? Also can you provide a little more proof? I'm guessing what you're saying is other colleges like KVCC (WMU????) would not be allowed to make those ordinances?

Besides MCL 123.1101 Et Seq., a college, university, community college, or junior college described in Section 4, 5, or 6 of Article VIII of the State Constitution of 1963 or established under Section 7 of Article VIII of the State Constitution of 1963, have been able to avoid coming under many laws.

The Constitution gives the universities and colleges the ability to manage/control their campuses...these provisions being stated under each of the sections in the Michigan Constitution:

• Article VIII, Section 4 of the Constitution requires the Legislature to

appropriate moneys to maintain certain named institutions (the University of

Michigan, Michigan State University, Wayne State University, Eastern

Michigan University, Michigan Technological University, and Grand Valley

State University) and other institutions of higher education established by law.

• Article VIII, Section 5 of the Constitution prescribes governing boards for the

University of Michigan (Regents), Michigan State University (Board of

Trustees), and Wayne State University (Board of Governors), and grants to

each board general supervision of its institution.

• Article VIII, Section 6 of the Constitution specifies that other institutions of

higher education established by law having authority to grant baccalaureate

degrees are to be governed by a board of control with general supervision of

the institution. The Governor appoints board members.

• Article VIII, Section 7 of the Constitution provides for the establishment and

financial support of public community and junior colleges that are supervised

and controlled by locally-elected boards.

The argument that the Universities and Colleges aver is that the constitutional provisions for the supervision and or control of the institutions gives them the ability to ban firearms. The courts have traditionally supported this belief with rulings in the institutions' favor in regards to other state laws.

xmanhockey7

Besides MCL 123.1101 Et Seq., a college, university, community college, or junior college described in Section 4, 5, or 6 of Article VIII of the State Constitution of 1963 or established under Section 7 of Article VIII of the State Constitution of 1963, have been able to avoid coming under many laws.

The Constitution gives the universities and colleges the ability to manage/control their campuses...these provisions being stated under each of the sections in the Michigan Constitution:

• Article VIII, Section 4 of the Constitution requires the Legislature to

appropriate moneys to maintain certain named institutions (the University of

Michigan, Michigan State University, Wayne State University, Eastern

Michigan University, Michigan Technological University, and Grand Valley

State University) and other institutions of higher education established by law.

• Article VIII, Section 5 of the Constitution prescribes governing boards for the

University of Michigan (Regents), Michigan State University (Board of

Trustees), and Wayne State University (Board of Governors), and grants to

each board general supervision of its institution.

• Article VIII, Section 6 of the Constitution specifies that other institutions of

higher education established by law having authority to grant baccalaureate

degrees are to be governed by a board of control with general supervision of

the institution. The Governor appoints board members.

• Article VIII, Section 7 of the Constitution provides for the establishment and

financial support of public community and junior colleges that are supervised

and controlled by locally-elected boards.

The argument that the Universities and Colleges aver is that the constitutional provisions for the supervision and or control of the institutions gives them the ability to ban firearms. The courts have traditionally supported this belief with rulings in the institutions' favor in regards to other state laws.

Thank you. I don't know if I will ever get to carry on campus in my college career but I hope at least one day my brother will.

xmanhockey7

Just go to college in Utah or Colorado.

Bronson

Haha it's crossed my mind. The only school I could go to would be the University of Colorado, and I'm already at whats known to be the best school for my program so switching just to carry in class would be a little crazy, and I couldn't carry in Colorado until I turn 21. Utah on the other hand, with the out of state permits I'm getting, I could carry there.