• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Victim gives gun to woman who wanted to shoot him.....DUH!

GWbiker

"They had quarreled before fatal incident - Man handed gun to own shooter".

'If I had a gun I would shoot you'

Brian J. Pedersen Arizona Daily Star | Posted: Tuesday, September 14, 2010 12:00 am

An 18-year-old man slain during a weekend party in the Mount Lemmon area handed a loaded gun to a woman who said she wanted to shoot him, court records show.

Marisela Romero is accused of killing 18-year-old Rene Carrillo during a party along the Mount Lemmon Control Road early Saturday. She was booked on suspicion of second-degree murder, but has since been released to the supervision of Pima County's Pretrial Services Division, according to documents filed in Pima County Justice Court.

Witnesses told Pima County sheriff's deputies that Romero shot Carrillo after the two got in an argument.

Romero was upset at Carrillo because he was harassing her, prompting Romero to say "If I had a gun I would shoot you," a probable-cause statement filed in Pima County Justice Court indicates.

Carrillo handed Romero the gun. She pointed it at Carrillo's head and pulled the trigger, killing him, according to court records.

Romero told authorities she thought the gun was unloaded and had intended only to scare Carrillo, records show.

Carrillo's death is the first homicide reported in the Santa Catalinas since April 2002, when a woman was found shot to death near the Palisades Ranger Station, according to Star archives. That case remains unsolved.

TOF

Pretty effective lesson that one should consider all guns as loaded. I have heard that mental weakness tends to remove itself from the Gene pool. Perhaps that is true.

Dahwg

i know some of the family of the shooter personally, and the guy that was killed is my cousin's in-law. It's actually much worse than what the article says.

Apparently the reason she thought the gun was not loaded was that they had all been drinking and "playing" with unloaded guns all night. Apparently they had been dry firing some revolvers at each other's heads all night, so she thought the gun was still unloaded.

Wow, just wow! Even the family is saying that she should not avoid prosecution for something because, after all, someone is dead.

GUNS ARE NOT TOYS! I don't know what these kids were thinking!!!!

Last edited:

Grimes

While this is a very horrible incident, I believe natural selection and Darwinism was at work here.

jaydaves

You better learn some respect!

COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Totally inappropriate. Calm down if you want to stay here.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Totally inappropriate. Calm down if you want to stay here.

obamam-lol-y-u-mad-tho.jpg

Verd

Campaign Veteran

I am guessing that you have a dog in this race, so to speak.

If it is true that they were dry firing throughout the night, then it stands to reason that the only reason why the guy was shot with a loaded gun was because 1. he loaded said gun himself and 2. he was wanting to be shot with said bullet that he loaded in said gun.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that if someone is dry firing at your head all night long, they won't hesitate to do it for the 50th time, even though you secretly loaded the gun.

IMHO this was an assisted suicide with the woman not realizing that she was being forced to play executioner.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I am guessing that you have a dog in this race, so to speak.

If it is true that they were dry firing throughout the night, then it stands to reason that the only reason why the guy was shot with a loaded gun was because 1. he loaded said gun himself and 2. he was wanting to be shot with said bullet that he loaded in said gun.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that if someone is dry firing at your head all night long, they won't hesitate to do it for the 50th time, even though you secretly loaded the gun.

IMHO this was an assisted suicide with the woman not realizing that she was being forced to play executioner.

naw man, don't make excuses for them. Dry firing or not, this chick pointed a gun a persons head. Not only did she point it at the head, she pulled the trigger. :eek:

She should not be surprised at her jail sentence. Homeboy heard her say she would kill him had she been in possession of a gun...so he handed her a loaded gun. I mean wtf did you think was going to happen?

oh-he-mad.jpg

Last edited:

jaydaves

You feel sorry for her?

The guy was brain-dead before she fired.

I feel sorry for her, and for the families and friends.

Verd

Campaign Veteran
naw man, don't make excuses for them. Dry firing or not, this chick pointed a gun a persons head. Not only did she point it at the head, she pulled the trigger. :eek:

She should not be surprised at her jail sentence. Homeboy heard her say she would kill him had she been in possession of a gun...so he handed her a loaded gun. I mean wtf did you think was going to happen?

Naw, not trying to make excuses, just trying to say that the guy wanted to be dead, clearly.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
he-mad.png

Last edited:

NavyMike

I take it that you are upset with today's verdict, then?

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/crime/article_7b01a9d6-f139-11e0-b24e-001cc4c002e0.html

A Tucson girl who shot and killed an acquaintance on Mt. Lemmon last year was acquitted Friday after less than two hours of deliberations.

Deputy Pima County Attorney Carolyn Nedder had sought a negligent homicide conviction for Marisela Romero, 19, a conviction that could have resulted in as many as eight* years in prison or a probationary term.

jaydaves

How do you know?

Naw, not trying to make excuses, just trying to say that the guy wanted to be dead, clearly.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran

Kimminau told jurors Romero had no way to know the gun was loaded
DEAR LORD!!!! WHAT TYPE OF GUN WAS THIS WHERE THERE WAS NO WAY TO TELL IT WAS LOADED!?

Romero and even the owner of the gun thought the hammer had to be pulled back in order for the gun to discharge. Neither realized the gun could discharge merely by pulling the trigger.
images
^