• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Erik Scott's Family Drops the Lawsuit

TigerLily

http://www.lvrj.com/news/costco-shooting-victim-s-family-drops-lawsuit-against-police-142560795.html?viewAllComments=y&c=y

As a tremendous blow to me and the South Nevada community, Erik's dad, Bill Scott, had no choice but to drop the lawsuit against Metro. It's Gestapo's regime that took an innocent man - Erik Scott - to try, judge, and execute Erik with ZERO reasonable suspicion, ZERO probable cause, and ZERO due process.

Gestapo Gillespie's trained dogs have gotten away with murder for the UMPTEENTH TIME. These pigs are still unleashed to continue to kidnap, maim, cage, torture, and execute WE THE PEOPLE.

I'll report on this tonight, March 14, 2012, at 5pm Pacific time on http://freedomizerradio.com/.

If you're away from your computer, you can listen to the show by calling: 347-324-3704.

If you miss the show, check out the archive and look for:

TigerLily's Freedom ROAR. : http://freedomizerradio.com/index.php?option=com_newsfeeds&view=newsfeed&id=15&Itemid=269.

Roaring in liberty - and raging in disgust,

TigerLily

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I couldn't believe it. I honestly don't see how qualified immunity wouldn't let this see the inside of a court room.

I'm suspicious about what deals were made to drop this lawsuit.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

How many times has this point of the COSTCO policy been debated here? "One employee noticed Scott was carrying a gun in his waistband. Although Scott had a legal permit to carry the weapon when concealed, the employee told him the [COSTCO]store did not allow weapons inside." We must never forget. My condolences and my sympathies to the family.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
What is your point, Heckler? No one has ever disputed those facts, so what exactly are you implying?

punisherprice

my brother works at that Costco, and the story was quite different than what Erik's family was pushing. I also studied this shooting very thoroughly in my crime class. He was a morphine addict, which was why the military booted him. He wasn't a war hero, never served overseas. He was caught in costco trying to steal beer while under the influence of 4x the normal amount of morphine that would sit any thing on two legs down. The security guard seen the gun in his waistband and moved all the shoppers outside without giving them an explanation so they wouldn't panic. Being curious, the shoppers waited around the main entrance outside until LEO's showed. Scott then came outside and when told to get on the ground, he then reached for his firearm. There was at least 20 people behind the cops and even if Scott fired one round, it couldve hit anyone. They fired several rounds but due to morphine, he remained on his feet. Metro was damned if they did, damned if they dont. If they decided to taser scott, and he managed to squeeze off a round killing an 8 year old, Metro would still be crucified in trying to act accordingly. He also had 3 magazines of .380acp in his pockets, and one in his firearm. I carry 5 in the cylinder and 25 on my belt, but four mags? IMHO i feel this was a suicide-by-cop sorta thing. I just didnt like how they blew him up to be the next Audie Murphy, and he was really nobody. The family agreed to drop the case if all legal fees were dropped also. They knew they had nothing to go on. Know when to quit.

wrightme

my brother works at that Costco, and the story was quite different than what Erik's family was pushing. I also studied this shooting very thoroughly in my crime class. He was a morphine addict, which was why the military booted him. He wasn't a war hero, never served overseas.
Are you implying that any of that was information that either Costco or the LE used to make decisions?

punisherprice said:
He was caught in costco trying to steal beer while under the influence of 4x the normal amount of morphine that would sit any thing on two legs down.
So far, you are the ONLY one to bring that tidbit to the table. Is it your claim that such information was withheld from the public for some reason?

punisherprice said:
The security guard seen the gun in his waistband and moved all the shoppers outside without giving them an explanation so they wouldn't panic. Being curious, the shoppers waited around the main entrance outside until LEO's showed. Scott then came outside and when told to get on the ground, he then reached for his firearm. There was at least 20 people behind the cops and even if Scott fired one round, it couldve hit anyone. They fired several rounds but due to morphine, he remained on his feet. Metro was damned if they did, damned if they dont. If they decided to taser scott, and he managed to squeeze off a round killing an 8 year old, Metro would still be crucified in trying to act accordingly. He also had 3 magazines of .380acp in his pockets, and one in his firearm. I carry 5 in the cylinder and 25 on my belt, but four mags? IMHO i feel this was a suicide-by-cop sorta thing. I just didnt like how they blew him up to be the next Audie Murphy, and he was really nobody. The family agreed to drop the case if all legal fees were dropped also. They knew they had nothing to go on. Know when to quit.

I simple doubt your version of events, as it is at odds with all accounts I have read. Sounds as if your brother is presenting a view of events quite different than what was presented by media.

Seriously? Stealing beer at CostCo? :rolleyes:

usmcmustang

I also studied this shooting very thoroughly in my crime class.

Your crime class... may I ask what vocation you are pursuing? And... did all the "facts" you have so eloquently described in your disertation here make themselves know in your class? What can you ascribe those "facts" to... just what you and your brother discussed over a Sunday dinner? I, too, have followed this case quite closely and some of what you have "divulged" seems really farfetched... so farfetched as to call into question any veracity you may have had heretofore.

The principal reason the plaintiffs in this case have given up their suit does not call into question their positions on the "truth" of what they believe occurred... it is simply a principal of "qualified immunity" by the defendants... a defense that seems favorable in most jurisdictions (including SCOTA), and one that is almost non-refutable. That's where we are with police shootings... they (the police) have qualified immunity when it comes to alleging/attempting to prove most any civil rights violation. It seems the courts believe that cops can take a citizen's life, no matter the situation/circumstance, and still not violate that citizen's civil right(s).

Other than that, your post is pretty much laughable in its description of "what happened."

wrightme

Wow...you guys are making me all warm and fuzzy inside, even though its pouring outside.
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/sep/22/testimony-focuses-erik-scotts-use-prescription-dru/ here's one of his toxicology reports.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/sep/28/jury-shooting-justified/ , aimed weapon at LEO's, dude claimed he was special forces, but never served overseas.

Has ANYONE disputed his toxicology? No. Go read my statements. His morphine level wasn't information that was available to le at the scene, yet you claim it was part of the decision process.

Is there some specific portion of those articles that you feel supports the statements you made?

Last edited:

usmcmustang

Wow...you guys are making me all warm and fuzzy inside, even though its pouring outside.
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/sep/22/testimony-focuses-erik-scotts-use-prescription-dru/ here's one of his toxicology reports.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/sep/28/jury-shooting-justified/ , aimed weapon at LEO's, dude claimed he was special forces, but never served overseas.

Okay... I really hesitate to respond since it seems that YOU believe perhaps being addicted to prescription pain killers and anti-anxiety meds and perhaps over-exaggerating one's military prowess is justifiable grounds for one to be shot and killed by police... or better said perhaps, it gives more reason for the police to kill. So... be careful of getting "hooked" on prescription pain killers... no matter your pain... and if you suffer from anxiety, make sure you don't tell your doctor... he may prescribe an anti-anxiety med... and for god's sake, don't embellish or tell "war stories" as regards your military stint. Cops are out there to KILL you.

punisherprice

I believe it would highly alter his logic, and actions. Obviously it did. Most people who have an IQ above 10 know not to point a gun at a cop. He was acting belligerent and was spotted shoplifting. The cops were then called after the security guard intervened and seen the gun. The media also didn't help this whole thing. They made it a 'War hero shot to death for just wanting to enter costco' sorta thing. My teacher, who has a CJ degree from SUU, looked at both sides of this shooting. He left it open for us to decide, but He was leaning toward it being justified. A lot of people in his own family knew of his drug problems but did nothing. Then they go after Costco? Why didnt they go after Federal or Speer gold dot for their bullets killing Scott? ;)

punisherprice

Okay... I really hesitate to respond since it seems that YOU believe perhaps being addicted to prescription pain killers and anti-anxiety meds and perhaps over-exaggerating one's military prowess is justifiable grounds for one to be shot and killed by police... or better said perhaps, it gives more reason for the police to kill. So... be careful of getting "hooked" on prescription pain killers... no matter your pain... and if you suffer from anxiety, make sure you don't tell your doctor... he may prescribe an anti-anxiety med... and for god's sake, don't embellish or tell "war stories" as regards your military stint. Cops are out there to KILL you.

Obviously you don't like LEO's, so this discussion is over. Look at stories from both sides. Right when you said Cops are out there to kill you, anything previously said goes out the window. Hugely biased. And arguing so your point is made is not why i posted on here, but to inform that this guy isnt a saint. You keep bringing up him being shot for being under the influence, him pulling his gun out and aiming at the police is a sure way to get dead, very quickly. We always talk about self-defense, you come home to a guy in your house, you pull your gun and tell him to lay down. He pulls his gun. Im guessing you would rather try to talk him down while he's slinging rounds at you :lol:

wrightme

I believe it would highly alter his logic, and actions. Obviously it did. Most people who have an IQ above 10 know not to point a gun at a cop.
It was in a holster. :rolleyes:

punisherprice said:
He was acting belligerent and was spotted shoplifting.
Not according to the articles.

punisherprice said:
The cops were then called after the security guard intervened and seen the gun. The media also didn't help this whole thing. They made it a 'War hero shot to death for just wanting to enter costco' sorta thing. My teacher, who has a CJ degree from SUU, looked at both sides of this shooting. He left it open for us to decide, but He was leaning toward it being justified. A lot of people in his own family knew of his drug problems but did nothing. Then they go after Costco? Why didnt they go after Federal or Speer gold dot for their bullets killing Scott? ;)

Because the ammunition and firearms manufacturers weren't a party to the killing. But, Costco and lv metro were.

As near as I can tell the media gave an unbiased view that shared as much factual information as was available.

punisherprice

The officer said the gun came out from his back and out toward the cops. Then asked why he still shot because it was still in the holster. The quote of this is in the jury shooting justified link. I imagine he pulled out his gun WITH the holster too. Like those holsters that have a metal clip to the waistband. Paddle holsters? idk what they're called. He was obviously not thinking straight and grabbed and pulled his holster and gun of his waistband and aimed a holstered gun at the police....if that makes sense....

usmcmustang

I believe it would highly alter his logic, and actions. Obviously it did. Most people who have an IQ above 10 know not to point a gun at a cop. He was acting belligerent and was spotted shoplifting. The cops were then called after the security guard intervened and seen the gun. The media also didn't help this whole thing. They made it a 'War hero shot to death for just wanting to enter costco' sorta thing. My teacher, who has a CJ degree from SUU, looked at both sides of this shooting. He left it open for us to decide, but He was leaning toward it being justified. A lot of people in his own family knew of his drug problems but did nothing. Then they go after Costco? Why didnt they go after Federal or Speer gold dot for their bullets killing Scott? ;)

Shoplifting, huh? Where did that come from? What "shoplifted" items were recovered from his effects? My recollection is that he was attempting to "separate" a singular bottle of water from its crate of many... and that is "interpreted" as shoplifting? YOU and others believe this shooting was just honky-dorey and that police were justified in taking this person's life because ??? Without the presence of the police, was this individual a threat to others... or the police for that matter? Please ponder that question. But ... no amount of postings on this or any other forum is gonna make any difference to Eric Scott... I heard he died.

wrightme

Obviously you don't like LEO's, so this discussion is over. Look at stories from both sides. Right when you said Cops are out there to kill you, anything previously said goes out the window. Hugely biased. And arguing so your point is made is not why i posted on here, but to inform that this guy isnt a saint. You keep bringing up him being shot for being under the influence, him pulling his gun out and aiming at the police is a sure way to get dead, very quickly. We always talk about self-defense, you come home to a guy in your house, you pull your gun and tell him to lay down. He pulls his gun. Im guessing you would rather try to talk him down while he's slinging rounds at you :lol:

You should do that too. According to other accounts, he received conflicting commands from LE, and presented his holstered firearm, and was shot.

He didn't pull a firearm and aim it at police.

wrightme

The officer said the gun came out from his back and out toward the cops. Then asked why he still shot because it was still in the holster. The quote of this is in the jury shooting justified link. I imagine he pulled out his gun WITH the holster too. Like those holsters that have a metal clip to the waistband. Paddle holsters? idk what they're called. He was obviously not thinking straight and grabbed and pulled his holster and gun of his waistband and aimed a holstered gun at the police....if that makes sense....

Nothing indicates he did what you claim.