• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to OC, any Jeep owners?

GeorgeZip

New to the forum and new to OC. Reading and researching the NC laws to know my rights and what is acceptable and what isn't. Looking for advice on driving and where to store if needed in a Jeep. There is no trunk, hell there sometimes is only a fabric roof! Do I need to add a locking compartment to the rear storage bin? If I'm going somewhere I can't OC, and need to lock in the car, can I use the glovebox when I'm "not" driving? I'm fuzzy on the logic between storage etc. I know I can openly carry loaded in the car but if I need to store and lock, does it require unloading? must it be locked if it is away in the rear? Thanks for any help. Reading constantly has truly has created a need for another scotch.

solus

george, take a look at this option(s)...

https://www.stack-on.com/categories/personal-casesboxes--6/products/316

https://www.stack-on.com/categories/quick-access-safes--2/products/258

secure them by bolt'g them to down to the frame not via they cable mentality.

no unloading required...

http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

section III part D, o/a page 22

better put the firearm away while you are sipping your scotch...and make mine straight up w/o ice

ipse

Last edited:

GeorgeZip

I need a double. Yea, I read that part about no-unloading...should have not added that. I will check it out. Thanks for the info. I hate having to bold something in but I guess that is my only option. Is that for the 'security' of it being stolen or for the security of not being accessible to an occupant?

Thanks!

GeorgeZip

Ok one more follow up...how does one comply with the law and yet not bring a loaded weapon on their hip into the range? The law says I can't carry concealed but to go to the range I need to have it bagged. What is proper etiquette there? any tips?

Thanks again.

solus

I need a double. Yea, I read that part about no-unloading...should have not added that. I will check it out. Thanks for the info. I hate having to bold something in but I guess that is my only option. Is that for the 'security' of it being stolen or for the security of not being accessible to an occupant?

Thanks!

well i am an oc'r and have specifically stated when i leave my immediate area on road trips i maintain a 'lock' security box (fire safe w/cut out foam that locks automatically when slam'd shut and key is not maintained in the passenger area) sitting on my front passenger seat if stopped by nice peace officer(s) in the performance of their sworn duties ~ real or imagined!!

to respond to your second query...i have pelican boxes which carry my unloaded firearms i am planning to practice with at the range. the one on my hip i am wearing when i walk in is not touched nor while i am shooting at the range. since they personally know me i am afforded this courtesy and i am not sure it is extended to other customers.

pm sent to respond to your next query...

ipse

ron73440

Ok one more follow up...how does one comply with the law and yet not bring a loaded weapon on their hip into the range? The law says I can't carry concealed but to go to the range I need to have it bagged. What is proper etiquette there? any tips?

Thanks again.

It depends on the range, at Flatwood Outfitters the RSO made me go back to my truck to unload.

It is illegal to OC if admission is charged, he admitted it was stupid, but the law is stupid and makes you do stupid things.

At B&E in Havelock, they didn't say a word.

REDFIVE48

It depends on the range, at Flatwood Outfitters the RSO made me go back to my truck to unload.

It is illegal to OC if admission is charged, he admitted it was stupid, but the law is stupid and makes you do stupid things.

At B&E in Havelock, they didn't say a word.

At my range I never unload my OC weapon, just walk in with it.

It is not illegal to OC if admission is charged, it is illegal to OC if admission is charged and you don't have a CHP.
Cite:
14-269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. (snip)
This section shall not apply to any of the following: (snip)
(5) A person carrying a handgun if the person has a valid concealed handgun
permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter, has a
concealed handgun permit considered valid under G.S. 14-415.24 (snip)

Last edited:

Jamesm760

It is not illegal to OC if admission is charged, it is illegal to OC if admission is charged and you don't have a CHP.
Cite:
14-269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. (snip)

I thought that a CHP was a permit to carry a handgun concealed, so even if you are OCing and have a CHP it does not cover it unless it is concealed... why would a CHP have anything to do with where you can carry openly? If that was the case wouldn't it just be called a Handgun Carry Permit? o_O I'm a bit confused... can anyone else jump in and input their interpretation? Thanks.

solus

Griz

Thanks, Solus.

Someone is always making something I need to buy for my Jeep : )

REDFIVE48

I thought that a CHP was a permit to carry a handgun concealed, so even if you are OCing and have a CHP it does not cover it unless it is concealed... why would a CHP have anything to do with where you can carry openly? If that was the case wouldn't it just be called a Handgun Carry Permit? o_O I'm a bit confused... can anyone else jump in and input their interpretation? Thanks.

I'm just utilizing my reading comprehension skills where it states you can carry where they charge admission or sell alcohol for consumption as long as you possess a CHP. It says nothing about actually needing to carry concealed. I liken that to possessing a military ID, you don't have to be wearing your uniform to get the benefits that the ID affords you.

Note the difference in verbiage to another area
§ 14-277.2. Weapons at parades, etc., prohibited.
snip
(d) The provisions of this section shall not apply to concealed carry of a handgun at a parade or funeral procession by a person with a valid permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter, with a permit considered valid under G.S. 14-415.24 . . . snip

Last edited:

Jamesm760

I'm just utilizing my reading comprehension skills where it states you can carry where they charge admission or sell alcohol for consumption as long as you possess a CHP. It says nothing about actually needing to carry concealed. I liken that to possessing a military ID, you don't have to be wearing your uniform to get the benefits that the ID affords you.

Note the difference in verbiage to another area
§ 14-277.2. Weapons at parades, etc., prohibited.
snip
(d) The provisions of this section shall not apply to concealed carry of a handgun at a parade or funeral procession by a person with a valid permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter, with a permit considered valid under G.S. 14-415.24 . . . snip

Ok, I see the difference, thanks. Interesting law.

ron73440

Cite:

None of that applies to me, I don't have a permission slip.