• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fredericksburg PD circumvents gun buy-back law via loophole

TFred

This makes me sick to my stomach. Until now, the Fredericksburg PD has, as far as I know anyway, handled gun issues fairly well.

They are using a loophole to circumvent the law's requirement that guns obtained via gun buy-back programs MUST be offered for sale to licensed dealers before being destroyed. Instead of "buying" them back, a local rich lady is offering to donate money to charity for each gun turned in to be destroyed.

I hope we can make enough noise about this to stop it. VCDL!!

TFred
Fredericksburg Police to Collect Unwanted Guns, No Questions Asked

The Fredericksburg Police Department will collect unwanted guns, no-questions-asked, Saturday, Dec. 13. Guns should be taken to the police headquarters, 2200 Cowan Boulevard, between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.

The police department’s sponsor, Dorris Buffett, will donate $100 for every turned-in gun to one of four charities...

All guns turned in to police during this time will be destroyed. Fredericksburg Police can ensure that the firearms will never be used to commit a crime.​

The key phrase in the law reads:

"any program in which individuals are given a thing of value provided by another individual or other entity"

Last edited by a moderator:

davidmcbeth

Banned
Technically, the old lady may actually be the purchaser then ... sounds like a straw purchase then if the cops take possession of the guns.

Call the ATF , they won't enforce the law in this case, but get it recorded for future reference.

Marco

a local rich lady is offering to donate money to charity for each gun turned in to be destroyed.

Those who turn over guns stand to gain nothing.
An industrious individual/s with a little bit of cash could really clean up.

Think I might head to F'burg with a little bit of cash and stand on the public sidewalk outside the LEO house that day.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Think I might head to F'burg with a little bit of cash and stand on the public sidewalk outside the LEO house that day.
Even the parking would be fair territory/legal.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Even the parking would be fair territory/legal.

TFred - What's a decent breakfast place downtown? Sounds like a field trip from all points.

Since i'll be carrying a large amount of cash and dealing with strangers I would appreciate a few folks who would watch my back during negotiations.

And maybe one or two to hold up signs reading "I'm paying cash for guns. Prove you are a Virginia resident. No bill of sale." (Since I'm not selling I don't have to worry about the seller being a felon.)

Since all the sellers are honest Dean's List scholars on their way to Bible study/picking up their grandmother from choir practice there's no reason to believe anything they offer for sale might be stolen.

stay safe.

TFred

Police HQ is right next door to Hugh Mercer Elementary School. Does the 1000 ft gun-free school zone come into play?
No more or less so than for anyone who might be BRINGING a gun to sell, as long as you stay off of the actual school property.

In other words, sure, that law ALWAYS comes into play, but should not for this event any more than any other day of the week, etc.

You can't drive on Route 1 through the city of Fredericksburg without entering this 1,000 foot zone of at least two, and possibly three different schools.

TFred

TFred

TFred - What's a decent breakfast place downtown? Sounds like a field trip from all points.
I rarely eat breakfast out, but I've heard about a couple:

Battlefield Restaurant
1018 Lafayette Blvd
Right across from the National Cemetery Visitor Center

Forum Restaurant
3401 Lafayette Blvd
A little farther out of town, actually in Sposty County

Then there's your Bob Evans and Cracker Barrel. CB in Central Park is probably the closest to the PD HQ.

Reviews are always mixed, but the first two have been around for a while, especially Battlefield, so they can't be all bad.

TFred

2a4all

Police HQ is right next door to Hugh Mercer Elementary School. Does the 1000 ft gun-free school zone come into play?
The instructions published in the announcement require a donor to transport the firearm unloaded in the trunk of their car. I'm thinking that following that instruction ensures no donor will violate the the 1,000' rule.

The prospective buyers who lure sellers to the nearby parking lot/street may not enjoy such an exemption (CHP holders exempt, of course).

2a4all

This makes me sick to my stomach. Until now, the Fredericksburg PD has, as far as I know anyway, handled gun issues fairly well.

They are using a loophole to circumvent the law's requirement that guns obtained via gun buy-back programs MUST be offered for sale to licensed dealers before being destroyed. Instead of "buying" them back, a local rich lady is offering to donate money to charity for each gun turned in to be destroyed.

I hope we can make enough noise about this to stop it. VCDL!!

TFred
Fredericksburg Police to Collect Unwanted Guns, No Questions Asked

The Fredericksburg Police Department will collect unwanted guns, no-questions-asked, Saturday, Dec. 13. Guns should be taken to the police headquarters, 2200 Cowan Boulevard, between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.

The police department’s sponsor, Dorris Buffett, will donate $100 for every turned-in gun to one of four charities...

All guns turned in to police during this time will be destroyed. Fredericksburg Police can ensure that the firearms will never be used to commit a crime.​

The key phrase in the law reads:

"any program in which individuals are given a thing of value provided by another individual or other entity"
It would appear from the description given that no one turning in a firearm will receive anything tangible.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Those who turn over guns stand to gain nothing.except a small loss of Freedom)

Great Success to you all!!
We did this in Seattle when anti gun mayor magrimm did a "buy back". We were very aggressive and did well.
Good luck to you.

TFred

The instructions published in the announcement require a donor to transport the firearm unloaded in the trunk of their car. I'm thinking that following that instruction ensures no donor will violate the the 1,000' rule.

The prospective buyers who lure sellers to the nearby parking lot/street may not enjoy such an exemption (CHP holders exempt, of course).
A nearby parking lot other than the PD parking lot would be private property. Not so for the side of the road, which would be a traffic hazard as well, since there are no shoulders along the road that leads to the PD HQ.

TFred

davidmcbeth

Banned
Or just wear a uniform at the entrance to the parking lot and pick them up there for nothing.

Most would just hand you the gun ... have your buddy drive around with some guns to show them how to do it. Monkey see, monkey do.

Marco

Or just wear a uniform at the entrance to the parking lot and pick them up there for nothing.

Most would just hand you the gun ... have your buddy drive around with some guns to show them how to do it. Monkey see, monkey do.

LOL.....

I can see it now, forty out of shape folks wearing 5.11 gear and holding a sign "accepting turn in guns here"

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
It would appear from the description given that no one turning in a firearm will receive anything tangible.

That's pretty tricky of the old girl!

The PD pays out nothing to people bringing guns (Which is good for the sidewalk buyers) and the Rich Lady contributes a hundred bucks to a tax deductible charity....which she deducts from her taxes.

That's the same stunt Cuccinelli pulled with his ill gotten gains when McDonnell got busted.

The real question is....how many people are stupid enough to give the cops a gun for nothing?

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
That's pretty tricky of the old girl!

The PD pays out nothing to people bringing guns (Which is good for the sidewalk buyers) and the Rich Lady contributes a hundred bucks to a tax deductible charity....which she deducts from her taxes.

That's the same stunt Cuccinelli pulled with his ill gotten gains when McDonnell got busted.

The real question is....how many people are stupid enough to give the cops a gun for nothing?

I guess we'll find out ... upon the reports of those who attend or watch :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Think this will be determined to be "like kind," wherein the persons turning in the guns will get the benefit of money going to the charity of their choice w/o having to reach for their checkbook.

Only question I would have is who gets the tax deduction?

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Think this will be determined to be "like kind," wherein the persons turning in the guns will get the benefit of money going to the charity of their choice w/o having to reach for their checkbook.

Only question I would have is who gets the tax deduction?

I can't see where anyone other than the sponsor/donor/money lady, would get it.