• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drone reg. begins Monday ... link on how to do it & info

Baked on Grease

But.. they use weight and not mass... if we use Helium drones, they are lighter than air by weight and therefore are exempt?

If we take existing drones at 300 grams, 50 grams over the limit for requiring registration and redesign it to utilize helium to create a lighter more energy efficient aircraft... and doing so the lowers it's effective weight below the 250 gram threshold, are we then exempt as well?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

davidmcbeth

Banned
Gram is the SI unit of mass.

You're confused, confusing Imperial-US units that confuse mass and weight, the slug and the pound, so that pound-force lbf and pound mass lbm must be written, but never slug.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_(force)

I use Stone. Go figure.

F = ma

Take it from there where ever you want to go.

They should do it by volume. Grams? Where are we, in the EU?

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Well,,,

dont know if i shoud say this,,,,

This whole thing, is just the dot.gov spending $$$ to TRY to control the few!
The registration thing does nothing to the bad guys, and makes a new bureaucracy.
Wouldn't it be enough to ask all good guy flyers, to write their, name, address,
and phone number on their "flying toys", so if it crashes in a yard, they get notified?
This alone would address the concerns the faa has, but doesn't create a new requirement
to build a whole new dot.gov bureaucracy, and the money to run it.

Bad Guy flyers will depend on simple anonymity to do the evil deeds,
they will fly unsafely and write off their flying toy loss, and nobody will
have a way to stop it!

BTW, I have a V666 quad, the nearest airport is 7 mi. at 500 ft msl,,
I live at 15 ft. msl, I have a range of ~400 t. but never let it get about 100 ft. away.
It weighs ~1/2 lbs,,, I have thought registration, for free, but also thought,,,
Its Really none of their business!

Really though,, If a TRAINED and licensed flyer runs his plane down to a place in front of my house, that he runs into it, he has broken more laws than I may may have broke.

Freedom1Man

dont know if i shoud say this,,,,

This whole thing, is just the dot.gov spending $$$ to TRY to control the few!
The registration thing does nothing to the bad guys, and makes a new bureaucracy.
Wouldn't it be enough to ask all good guy flyers, to write their, name, address,
and phone number on their "flying toys", so if it crashes in a yard, they get notified?
This alone would address the concerns the faa has, but doesn't create a new requirement
to build a whole new dot.gov bureaucracy, and the money to run it.

Bad Guy flyers will depend on simple anonymity to do the evil deeds,
they will fly unsafely and write off their flying toy loss, and nobody will
have a way to stop it!

BTW, I have a V666 quad, the nearest airport is 7 mi. at 500 ft msl,,
I live at 15 ft. msl, I have a range of ~400 t. but never let it get about 100 ft. away.
It weighs ~1/2 lbs,,, I have thought registration, for free, but also thought,,,
Its Really none of their business!

Really though,, If a TRAINED and licensed flyer runs his plane down to a place in front of my house, that he runs into it, he has broken more laws than I may may have broke.
Like the old CB radio license. If you had a CB radio license that was PC to "inspect" your radio (enter your house) without a warrant. I see this as the same thing, both are "free" but give a (sic) legal okay to come in without a warrant.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

FlyBoy276

Well..some guy or gal whom I may or may not know isn't registering anything. In fact, they probably use amateur radio frequencies for control and telemetry, so I'm sure they will remove their callsign from the equipment, too. That person probably believes that registration = government over-reach.

As for ME, I don't fly "drones." I have a few multirotors, though. :rolleyes: