• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Open carrier here

Morbidph8

Hi my name is Arthur. I have been lurking around the forums for a couple of months. I got my first hand gun about a month ago. A Hi-point C9. I know, I know not everybody is a fan of Hi-point, but I love this gun. My girl and I have taken it out shooting and had so much fun. I just wanted to say that I have always felt OC is the best way to have a firearm. I plan to do CC as well, but OC seems the best for 99% of the time. After reading this forum for a while. I finally have gotten out and OC myself. Both times at my local Walmart. I work at Walmart and see people OC all the time. I make sure to let them know I'm happy they are standing up for all of our rights. I must say I'm a little nervous OCing. I just try to be as polite and nice as possible. Not that I'm not without my gun. I'm just kinda scared I'll get somebody freaking out on me. Which is stupid because caring guns has been done since, well guns were invented. I did feel a lot better today before going to Walmart. While I was driving to park. I saw an old timer walk in with a huge dirty harry looking revolver. Sweet I'm not the only one. :) Awesome forum you guys have here.

revjen45

Hi Arthur,
Good on ya, Bro. I have never owned a Hi-Point, but from what I have seen posted they either work fine or are totally worthless. I conclude from your remarks about having a lot of fun shooting it that yours works OK. You definitely show good attitude regarding carry and how you act while doing so. Watch for those ammo sales at Big 5, or order on line for a good price and practice. Open carry is legal in WA State but not common, so I CC . If you are going to carry, do so every place you can since you don't know ahead of time when you will need your piece.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Welcome to OCDO!!!! Stick around and you will learn a lot!!! In regards to a Hi-Point, any gun is better than no gun. You can start to look at other guns and still defend yourself in the meantime.

Speaking of open carry anxiety, that usually goes away after you have carried for a while. Look here on the forum to find OC meet-ups in your area. Those are a good way to meet folks and work out the OC jitters.

I also recommend that you check out the Arizona Citizens Defense League if you are not already a member.
http://www.azcdl.org

Last edited:

March Hare

Welcome to the world of Open Carry!

Most people won't even notice that you are carrying, it's so common here. If they do, the most that you'll probably get is a comment on the brand/model/caliber that you have.

Just relax, smile and carry on!

-MH

Morbidph8

The more I do it the easer it getting. My finance and I, work swing shift. So it's not uncommon to be doing grocery shopping at 1am. Last night we went to Walmart around 12-1am. Now I live in Apache Junction so if you know anything about AJ. You know it's infested with tweakers. Well we get our food and are heading to the registers. Well there is this dirty, tweaked out dude. Just acting weird, really sketchy. Well we walked passed him. He look at us, then looked at my piece, looked at us again. Next thing I know that guy left the store fast. I mean I turned to see were he was, just in time to see him leave out the door. I doubt he was going to do anything. I think he though I must be LEO. What ever it worked. :)

That same Walmart around 3 months ago before I was carrying. My girl and I where walking through the parking lot to enter the store. This was again around 1am. Well this guy with his head down. Couldn't see his face. Started walking toward us. Not in the direction of the door. So this raised red flags for me. Well I had no piece at that time. Or any weapon at all. I did however made sure to be aware he was there. My girl was trying to talk to me but I was almost walking backwards at this point to keep a eye on this guy who getting closer. Well I must of broke his nerve because he turned and went somewhere else in the parking lot. I guess he wanted a victim to no not see it coming.

So once again great forum. I'm glad I found this because you guys have given me the courage to OC. Thanks. Seriously F being a victim.

BOOMcat12B

Welcome aboard. I open carry my Hi-Point JHP all the time (.45) and I trust it with my life. Hi-Points are great little pistols, but they get a bad rap because folks think they are "cheaply made, a Gang Banger gun, or just look ugly". While I agree that they are slightly ugly, I prefer form and function of looks. Out of 1500 or so rounds I only had 1 FTE and 2 FTF's. The FTF's were from faulty primers not the fault of the pistol. I will tell you that a good idea (especially if you are carrying your C9) is to polish your feed ramp to improve your feeding consteincy. Once again welcome aboard.

Morbidph8

So far I have put 50 rounds through my C9. So far not even a hiccup. I know about the polish job, but until I have problems. I'm not to worried about it. Yea the Hi-points are kinda a ugly duckling. I do think they look almost scifi in looks.

*1911_man*

So far I have put 50 rounds through my C9. So far not even a hiccup. I know about the polish job, but until I have problems. I'm not to worried about it. Yea the Hi-points are kinda a ugly duckling. I do think they look almost scifi in looks.

I have an xd glock sig and a few other handguns, including a hi point. It is just as accurate, just as reliable as any other of my guns. Biggest thing to remember is to practice with it and break it in. Great pistols, and their warranty seriously cant be beat, you can drop it out of a plane, then pack the barrel with powder, blow the thing to pieces, video tape it all and give them the tape, and they will give you a new pistol. No joke.

As for the being nervous thing, i was nervous when i started carrying too. People will give you odd looks, comments, compliments etc, most important thing to do is be polite, and dont look like a shady character. I have "happy face" grips for my 1911 that i use especially for wally world adventures.

GWbiker

Hi my name is Arthur..........

Welcome aboard Arthur.

OC in Arizona is a pleasure compared to attempting to carry a firearm inside that "Leftist state" across the Colorado River.

Today, I OC at a McDonald's in Tucson for lunch. I was seated among two Soccer Moms with several children. I went food shopping a few hours later, to include picking up some Beer at Trader Joe's, then dinner at IHOP.

There were no panic attacks from TJ's liberal minded shoppers, or from Soccer Moms, their children, IHOP food servers or fellow customers. No 911 calls..............................nothing.

Gotta' love Arizona..

Last edited:

Morbidph8

Gotta' love Arizona..

I sooo do. :)

I have been taking my gun more and more as of late. I saw another OC at work last night. Makes me feel safe at least because I can't carry at work. We get some weird people at walmart late at night. And security well, lets just say there job is not to stop bad stuff. Observe and report kinda guards. I will say though the PD's response time to theft is really fast. So I hope they will be as quick with a lunatic.