• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I was denied registration of my new revolver

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Registration

So I bought a Taurus Judge, and needed to register it. I arrived at N. Las Vegas PD and went right to it.
Lady: “Oooh the Judge, isn’t this a shotgun?”
Me: “I think so, Not quite sure what all it shoots, pretty cool though.”
The lady gave me the form to fill out, and I started. She asked me what caliber it was, and I told her I don’t know, she said you may have to go to METRO.

To shorten the story, she really did not want to register it, and kept offering me the nearest METRO location. She went back and forth with me about the caliber, I asked her if it was important, and she said yes, very. I asked her, “if it is that important, why do they just take peoples word for it.” Her mood changed. She swept me with the gun several times (cylinder out) but gave me an uncomfortable awkward feeling. At the end of the 30+ mins. She refused to register it because I did not know the name of the person from whom I had purchased it. She would not give me my form, or her name. and when I asked for her supervisors name, all she gave me was a phone number that seems to go to a dead cell phone with no voicemail set up.

At my earliest convenience, I went to the NW area command, from what I hear of people’s experiences, they are the best. It started off good, but got real ugly again because I didn’t know who sold me the firearm. I was there for almost 2 hours, 4 people came in gave up everything, and were out with their “blue card” while I was there.

The first guy called my name. I came up and turned over my form. We started going through it as he was inputting the info. My employer info was left blank so he asked me, I told him “self” (I won’t be doing that again”) he asked for my next of kin, I gave him my sons name. (won’t be doing that one either.) then we got to the sellers name, and I said “first name Private, last name Party” he sat back for a sec and said how about unknown. He did his work, and came back with the form to sign and a “blue card” he asked me to check the card and make sure it was proper, I did and found that there was only one caliber listed. He said he would see if he could fix it.

While the first guy was gone there was an Asian Officer with what appeared to be a self inflicted gunshot wound ( in and out bandages left thigh, and right foot/ ankle in a cast.) and all in a line. Came over and said that they do not register guns to people who withhold information, and that he felt I was suspicious. I told him that I did not have aq name and would be lying if I gave him one.
He kept at it, I pulled my recorder out and put it by the window, he wanted to know why I was acting like a street attorney, I asked him for his name and P# we went back and forth, he never gave me his name, and I never gave him one either. He then said “I am not dealing with you anymore” But I am sending your firearm info to HQ and you will just have to wait.
I was on the phone with Timf343 and we had plans to have lunch. He ended up showing up for the last 5-10 mins. OC Cali style. The first guy saw that, and said “I will get you registered.”

Next time will be Much different. I will bring a tri- pod, video camera, voice recorder etc. and a lunch as well as reading material. I will put my gun and ID in the box, and sit down and wait. When they call me up for the form I will ask for the NRS that says I am required to participate, and go sit down. I will not sign anything that I get no copy of, If they want to make their registration obsolete, I will accommodate them.

Vegassteve

When I did mine from the gun show this week, they accepted pvt party. I did mine at the s VL blvd one. Even though I live one block from cheyenne

The Big Guy

Another good example of why we need to get rid of blue card registration. How much time and resources were taken up by this one "attempt" to comply. Why do you need to give all this info they were asking for? I've never been asked who my employer was etc.. I go to Henderson HQ, fill out the form, give them my DL, quick background check, they run the number on the gun, they hand me the card and away I go.

Guess I'll have to look at the law again. Maybe a letter to your City Council member is in order telling them of the inefficiency and the wasted expense in the police feeling they need to through the weight of their badge around. This in a city who has been threatened by a state takeover because they can't pay their bills.

TBG

Last edited:

SovereignAxe

Why would you buy a gun without knowing the caliber? What if it shoots something you can't afford or can't find in stores? That would be really annoying to me and would be one of the many reasons I'd find out what a gun shoots before I buy it.

Criminals usually don't know much about the guns they buy, so she probably didn't want to do business with you because this sent up red flags in her mind. Which doesn't make any sense, I know. You'd think they'd DEFINITELY want a criminal's gun registered.

btw, It shoots .45 Colt and .410 bore shotshells

Last edited:

Vegassteve

Why would you buy a gun without knowing the caliber? What if it shoots something you can't afford or can't find in stores? That would be really annoying to me and would be one of the many reasons I'd find out what a gun shoots before I buy

He is very aware of what caliber it is. I was with him after he bought it. He was trying to make a point to the pencil pusher behind the glass at metro that it was not his job to provide that info. And to show how absurd how registration scheme is here in Clark county.

SovereignAxe

It seems to me that the point was lost. IMO registration is ridiculous enough without adding the caliber question. Plenty of guns are made in more than one caliber, so after you get past the registration part being ridiculous, the question about caliber doesn't seem ridiculous at all.

Telling the clerk you don't know what it is makes you look more like you don't know what you're doing than it does proving a point. She doesn't make policy, so it seems to me like saying to a convenience store clerk that the price on candy bars is too high. What are they supposed to do about it?

Vegassteve

It seems to me that the point was lost. IMO registration is ridiculous enough without adding the caliber question. Plenty of guns are made in more than one caliber, so after you get past the registration part being ridiculous, the question about caliber doesn't seem ridiculous at all.

Telling the clerk you don't know what it is makes you look more like you don't know what you're doing than it does proving a point. She doesn't make policy, so it seems to me like saying to a convenience store clerk that the price on candy bars is too high. What are they supposed to do about it?

I see your not from nv so I will help you out. In the past when we have tried to help clerks out with info they refuse it and tell us they will get the info. The whole scheme and system here is screwed up.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Just because I'm a pedant - .410 is a caliber, not a bore.

Knowing how bore is determined is quite instructive.

Otherwise, I see that you got caught by the Nevada foolishness and not understanding the reason behind the OP's acting as if he were a totally ignorant fool. I blame that on the OP for failing to alert non-Nevada folks.

stay safe.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

The first registration issue I went through was when a friend died in a motorcycle accident. His Fiance (girlfriend) ended up with his CZ75 (Ithink thats what it was) I went down to register it with her. It was the same kind of train wreck. I had no experience with that type of gun, and she obviously did'nt either. the problem we have is you get 72 hrs. to register the thing. I believe it was stamped "9mm kurz" or something similar.

The registration folks were very insensitive to the fact that she would be burying a loved one the next day, after she told them he had passed they wanted to know all sorts of crap, where he got it from how do they know that she is the rightful owner, it went on and on. She got it registered, but it was ugly and unnecessary, and shook her up good. I was not being an activist that day I was being a friend, but all of my attempts to help were shot down by the cop.

Axe is right I was not proving a point with the Clerk, I was allowing the Clerk to do it for me. How accurate do you think the data base will be, if they just "trust" the gun owner to tell them what caliber it is. Most of them are stamped, and if it is a test to see if you should even be in posession of a weapon that is not within their authourity anyway.

If I were a criminal, I would come in with a 9mm and tell them its a .40. that way if im in possesion its registered. and if I commit a crime with it, I can use their own records to dispute the case. I wonder how many criminals have been set free because of shoddy gun registration.

This whole point comes down to accountibility, the County wants none, but wants to hold it on us.
Sorry to the other guys from out of state, for not giving the heads up, I am leaving some of the details out because I am collecting data to do something about registration in our county.

Last edited:

KBCraig

The Judge comes in one caliber, .45 Long Colt. It just so happens, that a .410 shotgun shell fits nicely and fires without malfunction.
Because the chambers are long enough to accommodate .410 shells, it will also fit .460 S&W Magnum. I would definitely expect some malfunction after firing that, though.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Just because I'm a pedant - .410 is a caliber, not a bore.

Knowing how bore is determined is quite instructive.

Just a quick hijack, please. I thought we called it a .410 "bore" because it is not a .410 "gauge." A quick search shows plenty of shotshell manufacturers referring to it as the .410 "bore," as well.

Is not the .22 caliber a .22x" bore? Yes, I realize that the .410 would bore about .45", as exampled in this thread, but the bore designations are nominal, not exact, even if this is an extreme example because of wadding or whatever the traditional reason is. I guess I just found my research topic for the night, though... :)

On topic, half of the time that I have registered a handgun, I have had to hand back the blue card and tell them how to correct it. At one point, I was the registered owner of a pistol with a caliber of 25mm.

Last edited:

The Big Guy

Just a quick hijack, please. I thought we called it a .410 "bore" because it is not a .410 "gauge." A quick search shows plenty of shotshell manufacturers referring to it as the .410 "bore," as well.

Is not the .22 caliber a .22x" bore? Yes, I realize that the .410 would bore about .45", as exampled in this thread, but the bore designations are nominal, not exact, even if this is an extreme example because of wadding or whatever the traditional reason is. I guess I just found my research topic for the night, though... :)

On topic, half of the time that I have registered a handgun, I have had to hand back the blue card and tell them how to correct it. At one point, I was the registered owner of a pistol with a caliber of 25mm.

I have several blue cards that have errors on them. I'm not going to waste my time arguing about things that have no real effect on me. The serial number is on it, my name and nothing else matters. It really does not matter if they put .22 or .44 cal on it. I have done my "duty" when I registered. The competence of the cop is not my problem.

TBG

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I have several blue cards that have errors on them. I'm not going to waste my time arguing about things that have no real effect on me. The serial number is on it, my name and nothing else matters. It really does not matter if they put .22 or .44 cal on it. I have done my "duty" when I registered. The competence of the cop is not my problem.

TBG
Agreed. Actually, I remember long ago when it was a desk sergeant that did the registration. I remember it being quick, efficient, and accurate, regardless of its necessity or legality. These days, I have always been handled by plainclothes ladies, whom I assume not to be police officers. They are certainly ignorant about all things related to firearms and seem to treat handgun registration as a very unwanted part of their job. Y'all have already shown me enough to treat my blue cards differently than I have in the past.

I now wish I had kept my registration for a 25mm.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

I was on the phone with the Registration detail today, and I shared my concerns about them competently registering my firearms, she must have taken it as a challenge, she asked me to "review my registered firearms, just under 60% had issues. She asked me if I could come down with my ID so they could straighten ourt my file....? I am waiting till monday 2 reasons work, and sanity.

shadowed_stranger

TBG

They got my serial wrong when they registered my G26. It has the first digit as an 8 on the frame and slide, and a 6 on the barrel. They put the used the serial from the barrel. I corrected her, and she drew a line through the number ON MY BLUE CARD and HAND WROTE the new number in. She then crossed out the number on the printed form and hand wrote the 8 on that form, without touching the computer. I asked her if it needed to be corrected in their files, and she said no. I guarantee that their computer has the wrong serial in it, and it's going to come back and bite me in the ass one day, but they assured me several times that it was ok. Incompetence doesn't even begin to describe how 'well' they function.

The Big Guy

They got my serial wrong when they registered my G26. It has the first digit as an 8 on the frame and slide, and a 6 on the barrel. They put the used the serial from the barrel. I corrected her, and she drew a line through the number ON MY BLUE CARD and HAND WROTE the new number in. She then crossed out the number on the printed form and hand wrote the 8 on that form, without touching the computer. I asked her if it needed to be corrected in their files, and she said no. I guarantee that their computer has the wrong serial in it, and it's going to come back and bite me in the ass one day, but they assured me several times that it was ok. Incompetence doesn't even begin to describe how 'well' they function.

I think there is no doubt one way or another that we will go after the Blue Card Registration. Putting together as many horror stories on regestration as we can I think will be beneficial at that time. It will help show just how useless and inaccurate it is.

TBG

Last edited:

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
I think there is no doubt one way or another that we will go after the Blue Card Registration. Putting together as many horror stories on regestration as we can I think will be beneficial at that time. It will help show just how useless and inaccurate it is.

TBG

They don't care how useless or inaccurate it is.

You want to show how it is COSTING THEM MONEY FOR NO BENEFIT.

This should be your war cry, that they are wasting money which is needed for other things, and which the whole rest of the state is smart enough to spend elsewhere.

1) Add up the time it takes to deal with all of this stuff, then multiply it by the number of blue cards issued and changed every year

2) Divide the result of 1) and you can show how many man-hours are spent on this.

3) Divide the result of 2) and you can see how many more cops you would have on the streets if they weren't wasting time on this.

4) Demand that the county explain the benefit that they think they are getting from the blue card scheme, and justify taking x number of cops off the street -- at HOW MANY thousands of dollars per year??? -- to do something that no other county, nor most of the rest of the COUNTRY, finds of value.

5) Directly ask each commissioner, in public meeting, whether they think that this money is being properly spent, require a yes or no answer.

6) Directly ask each commissioner who answers "yes" if they think that a cop doing blue card stuff prevents more crimes or protects the citizens better than if they were on the street, and if so, why don't we just keep ALL of the cops in the station to fill out paperwork . . ?

The Big Guy

They don't care how useless or inaccurate it is.

You want to show how it is COSTING THEM MONEY FOR NO BENEFIT.

This should be your war cry, that they are wasting money which is needed for other things, and which the whole rest of the state is smart enough to spend elsewhere.

1) Add up the time it takes to deal with all of this stuff, then multiply it by the number of blue cards issued and changed every year

2) Divide the result of 1) and you can show how many man-hours are spent on this.

3) Divide the result of 2) and you can see how many more cops you would have on the streets if they weren't wasting time on this.

4) Demand that the county explain the benefit that they think they are getting from the blue card scheme, and justify taking x number of cops off the street -- at HOW MANY thousands of dollars per year??? -- to do something that no other county, nor most of the rest of the COUNTRY, finds of value.

5) Directly ask each commissioner, in public meeting, whether they think that this money is being properly spent, require a yes or no answer.

6) Directly ask each commissioner who answers "yes" if they think that a cop doing blue card stuff prevents more crimes or protects the citizens better than if they were on the street, and if so, why don't we just keep ALL of the cops in the station to fill out paperwork . . ?

useless or inaccurate = COSTING THEM MONEY FOR NO BENEFIT

TBG

Yard Sale

FYI, the Reno Gazette-Journal ran some articles beating the drums for new legislation in the wake of the Carson IHOP shooting. One article was a so-called summary of Nevada firearms laws. It said Nevada law requires Clark county to register handguns. :)