• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Best way to handle a store robbery?

ToggleSwitch

So as a few of you may know, the store across the street from my house was robbed (at gun point) a few weeks back. The indecent happened only 30mins after I left the establishment (OC ofc :)). If timing had been different, what do you feel would have been the best course of action?

That also brings up a point of a legal issue...

*IF* I had been at the location and the BG was threatening them with a firearm, would it have been cause to use lethal force? Where does the law stand on situations like that?

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
So as a few of you may know, the store across the street from my house was robbed (at gun point) a few weeks back. The indecent happened only 30mins after I left the establishment (OC ofc :)). If timing had been different, what do you feel would have been the best course of action?

*IF* I had been at the location and the BG was threatening them with a firearm, would it have been cause to use lethal force? Where does the law stand on situations like that?

Boy did you open a can of worms:lol::lol::lol::lol:

If you go to breakfast tomorrow, I'll discuss it then, but until then:lol::lol:

ToggleSwitch

Boy did you open a can of worms:lol::lol::lol::lol:

If you go to breakfast tomorrow, I'll discuss it then, but until then:lol::lol:

I should be there.

Course of action? Two shots, high upper chest.

Knowing when to use deadly force? Take this class - http://proactiveshooters.com/general-course-information-2/intro-to-concealed-carry-in-va/

When the funds and the time opens up, you bet. You have been on my list for the past few months now :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Oh, I know what to bring you as a gift when I take the class :D

20100602-paynes-bar-b-que-chopped-pork-sandwich-memphis-tn_01.jpg

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I had been wondering if there was going to be anything good to discuss.

Please bring your digital recorder as you probably will not be able to take notes fast enough.

After you finish ProShooter's course, stalk the forum for news of User's seminar (which he has promised/threatened to schedule) and sign up. Several have taken it more than once, and several of us are waiting to be able to do that. (User, are you lurking?)

stay safe.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I had been wondering if there was going to be anything good to discuss.

Please bring your digital recorder as you probably will not be able to take notes fast enough.

After you finish ProShooter's course, stalk the forum for news of User's seminar (which he has promised/threatened to schedule) and sign up. Several have taken it more than once, and several of us are waiting to be able to do that. (User, are you lurking?)

stay safe.

I've taken ProShooter's course once and user's three times. Time spent at seminars such as these is time well spent if you are of a mind to carry a defensive firearm.

Shoobee

The LEOs would give you a certificate of appreciation had you intervened and lived to tell about it.

The town would have given you a memorial funeral had you not.

"Self defense" is defined differently in different states, and "directly proportional response" is the key language in most states.

In your hypothetical of being caught in the middle of an armed robbery, in that case the robber by brandishing the weapon would be construed by most reasonable LEOs, DAs, and judges as having put at risk everyone present.

You therefore would have the right to proportionally respond by shooting him/her first, should you choose to do so.

I would hope you have practiced your draw, and are a really good shot, before you try this however.

Taking armed defense classes would be a really good idea too.